Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Vintage Eddy Merckx upgraded to combine classic craftsmenship with latest technology

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Vintage Eddy Merckx upgraded to combine classic craftsmenship with latest technology

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 07:33 PM
Fourthbook

Bikes: 1991 custom Eddy Merckx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just updated my 1991 Eddy Merckx, replacing all the original components except the headset. The frame was custom ordered through Dong at Denver Spoke: Century geometry, Reynolds 753 tubing, Team Weinmann colors (midnight blue and pearl white with magenta and lime green accents), and custom decal set, including my name no less. Classic flat fork crown; internal rear brake cable routing; investment cast bridgeless bottom bracket shell; chromed Eddy Merckx forged drop outs and fork tips. Gorgeous, despite the years of regular use. I wanted to retain the original light, sleek look lent the bike by the chrome and silver of the Dura Ace 7400 gruppo, 3TTT bar and stem, and Campy Sigma Strada Chromium tubular wheel set, while adding the latest technology. The result: Dura Ace 7900 gruppo, Oval Concept R950 carbon bar, Thomson Masterpiece silver setback seatpost, Fizik Antares saddle, Fizik gel pads and bar tape, Look Keo Carbon pedals, Andrew's King titanium waterbottle cage, and Fulcrum Racing Light tubular wheelset with Vittoria Corsa EVO CX front and Continental Comp 22 back tires. I added SwissStop Flash Yellow King brake pads, Zipp titanium skewers, and Euduro 'zero' ceramic bearings in the bottom bracket, hubs, and pulleys. It's a bike to be ridden, not just a show piece. Total weight is 17.25 pounds; not bad for a classic steel frame bike with the exquisite craftsmenship no longer possible in the carbon frames today. I hope you enjoy. Comments welcome. Detailed pictures available.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
VintageEddyMerckx.jpg (49.6 KB, 80 views)
Old 11-11-09, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
WELCOME fourthbook ! Good text, great bike. Not much more that I can say other than to express my envy. Merckx, 753, 7400... enough already, I might spot a negative.
OH yes, Couldn't you get it lighter, you know 16lbs., 14ozs. ? (kidding) Few other than 753s can get that light.
Old 11-11-09, 10:30 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to Bike Forums. That's a nice looking bike! You should post a photo of it in the Classic & Vintage forum.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 11-11-09, 11:39 PM

Bikes: I hate bikes.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steel is real.
Old 11-18-09, 03:12 PM
Fourthbook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation. Pics added in Classic & Vintage, plus one additional pic of the front.
Old 12-02-09, 02:59 PM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just simply beautiful
Old 08-06-13, 01:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fantastic. Beautiful. Enjoy her! As far as I am aware the colors on your Weinmann Merckx was typical for the 1990 and not the '91 model? The '91 model had pink rear seatstays and BB?
Old 08-06-13, 01:37 PM
Endangered Serotta Rider

Bikes: 2005 Serotta

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to BF! That is one truly Classic Bike with a "capital C and a capital B!"
Old 08-18-13, 05:01 PM
Fourthbook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtbvip
Fantastic. Beautiful. Enjoy her! As far as I am aware the colors on your Weinmann Merckx was typical for the 1990 and not the '91 model? The '91 model had pink rear seatstays and BB?
I think you're right. The 1990 catalog has the Team Weinmann paint scheme found on my bike. There's a bit of story to it: I ordered the custom frame from Dong at Denver Spoke in July 1990. Eddy approved the request (mixing the Reynolds 753 tubing used in his Grand Prix frame with the geometry from his Century frame and paint scheme from the Corsa Extra frame; plus some other minor finish details) at the US bike show that autumn. I received the frame several months later but much to my horror it was the wrong size: we spec'd it C-C and it was made C-T; so it was returned. After a bit of grumping from Eddy, a new frame was made which I received in spring 1991.

I'd love to have it refinished to its original glory; unfortunately, EM no longer uses the same paint or decals and cannot do the restoration. But it still rides wonderfully.