Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking for a good FG Crankset

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-09, 05:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to upgrade the crankset on my Mercier and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I am willing to spend at least 100.
Old 11-21-09, 05:28 PM

Bikes: 1990 Waterford Paramount, 1986 Pinarello Pista 195? Raleigh 3sp, 2001 Surly 1x1, 2014 Canfield N9, 2015 Canfield Balance, 2013 Rocky Mtn Flatline, 2012 Intense SS2, 2014 Transition Klunker, + more!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some people dont link them around here to much but I have no issues with the Sugino RD2 with the 103mm BB. Worked great for me. They are about $80 for the arms then you would need the BB. Im guessing a little over a bill total.
Old 11-21-09, 05:54 PM
good friends dont

Bikes: Zullo Custom Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I heard of this amazing thing called "google" that you can use to search. I don't know if what I have heard is true or not.
Old 11-21-09, 06:03 PM
Comanche Racing

Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetsandy
I heard of this amazing thing called "google" that you can use to search. I don't know if what I have heard is true or not.
ur an idiot.

OP- There are a lot of options for over $100. The thing is; though, that most nice track cranksets are like $300 once you get arms/chainring/BB. These include Dura Ace, Campagnolo, and Sugino 75.. The good thing is that now there is a really nice crankset for a lot less money: Truvativ Omnium. It has the performance of those other ones (maybe even better), but it's nowhere near as expensive. You can get it with BB and Chainring for $165 (shipped) from www.bikeisland.com. That is what I would recommend.
Old 11-21-09, 06:14 PM
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetsandy
One of BF's "new features" should be to somehow magically filter out asinine posts such as this.
Old 11-21-09, 06:30 PM

Bikes: 1990 Waterford Paramount, 1986 Pinarello Pista 195? Raleigh 3sp, 2001 Surly 1x1, 2014 Canfield N9, 2015 Canfield Balance, 2013 Rocky Mtn Flatline, 2012 Intense SS2, 2014 Transition Klunker, + more!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
One of BF's "new features" should be to somehow magically filter out asinine posts such as this.
This.
Old 11-21-09, 06:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PedallingATX
ur an idiot.

OP- There are a lot of options for over $100. The thing is; though, that most nice track cranksets are like $300 once you get arms/chainring/BB. These include Dura Ace, Campagnolo, and Sugino 75.. The good thing is that now there is a really nice crankset for a lot less money: Truvativ Omnium. It has the performance of those other ones (maybe even better), but it's nowhere near as expensive. You can get it with BB and Chainring for $165 (shipped) from www.bikeisland.com. That is what I would recommend.
omniums suck if you're riding brakeless. the outboard bearings develop play or break eventually from the forces. if you're riding with brakes and only backpedal a little, they are fine.
Old 11-21-09, 07:51 PM
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A crankset upgrade is a bit of a waste. Yeah, the new ones might be a little stiffer, but it's really not going to enhance your experience any. Don't look to go faster, or ride longer because of a new crankset.

However, if you just want to spend some money on your bike, well that's fine. I do that all the time.
Old 11-21-09, 07:55 PM
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
^Agreed. In my opinion, there isn't much wrong with the stock Truvativ Touros for everyday riding that can be bettered by spending a hundred bucks or less.

And yeah, I also agree that simply spending money on your bike is perfectly okay.
Old 11-21-09, 08:11 PM

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 313 Posts
i upgraded my cranks to sram gxp. i did it because i wanted to try out the external BB. it's slightly lighter and maybe stiffer but i think the stock kilo cranks aren't too bad actually.