Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Thinking of going clipless have no idea were to begin.

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-09, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i pretty much do everything with one bike my mountain bike, commuting, road riding with friends, mountain biking with gf ect. i guess what im looking for if it exists is a clipless pedal that can also be used as a platform pedal that i can still wear regular shoes but want the platform to have a decent grip. also will i be able to walk on mountain shoes, alot of my friends have road shoes and its hard for them to walk and all ur hear is click click. any suggestions on pedals or shoes looking to spend no more then 100 dollars? maybe the clip/platform pedal on one side would be best for me. what do you all think?
Old 12-03-09, 07:40 PM

Bikes: Something Canadian, something Italian, something American, and something German

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Crank bros mallet pedals. They're expensive, but have a large platform and good clips.
Old 12-04-09, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You already know what you need. Don't overthink it . Re-read your original post.
Old 12-04-09, 03:13 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Shimano MTB shoes (I use MT40) and egg beater pedals. I have used the egg beaters which have a platform and I much prefer the ones without.
Old 12-04-09, 03:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by plasticmaam12
You already know what you need. Don't overthink it . Re-read your original post.
i no what a want in a pedal just looking for suggestions on which one and shoes
Old 12-04-09, 04:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you've already answered your own question. Clipless on one side, ordinary platform on the other will give you what you want. Any other clipless pedals will still leave you with a clipless mechanism sticking up out of it, even if there is some semblance of platform around it. In a pinch, you can pedal on these with normal shoes, but it's not something you want to commit to doing regularly. Unless your regular shoes are made of wood, you will feel the hump of that clipless thing dig into the bottom of your foot.
Old 12-04-09, 09:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nbmtb
I just bought my first clip-ins last month. I chose the Shimano M540 pedals and Shimano MT21 shoes. I paid about $160 for both including shipping and tax. You can go cheaper with the one sided M520 pedals but I think double sided is worth it. You can't get much cheaper than the MT21 shoes but they get great reviews, pass for normal shoes, have a good tread, and I can walk around in them without much clicking.

M520 pedals are double-sided, too.
Old 12-04-09, 09:41 AM

Bikes: cheapie Schwinn - ride what you got.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
^ sounds like the OP is looking for a clipless/platform combo.
Old 12-04-09, 10:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the market for pedals myself, except I'm going from SPD to platform. Found these Wellgos that might suit your needs: Wellgo Wam-D10. They have good pins on the platform side, and then what looks like an SPD-style clip on the other. Obviously, the pedals come with cleats, and the cleats are compatible with any SPD shoes. I also liked the look of the Sette Enduro shoe, but I've never tried them. I do have a pair of the Shimano MT21 shoes above, and they look and feel like a regular shoe. The cleat makes the worst grinding noise, but only when walking on concrete. Any other hard surface, they're silent.
Old 12-04-09, 03:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by helmut
In the market for pedals myself, except I'm going from SPD to platform. Found these Wellgos that might suit your needs: Wellgo Wam-D10. They have good pins on the platform side, and then what looks like an SPD-style clip on the other. Obviously, the pedals come with cleats, and the cleats are compatible with any SPD shoes. I also liked the look of the Sette Enduro shoe, but I've never tried them. I do have a pair of the Shimano MT21 shoes above, and they look and feel like a regular shoe. The cleat makes the worst grinding noise, but only when walking on concrete. Any other hard surface, they're silent.
those wellgos look good the only combo pedals i have seen with the platform having good grip. how do you think these are the shimano pd-a530 ? https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-41553-.../dp/B000YQP5QY
dont seem to have very good grip on the platform part but only combo pedal i found that also has the adjustment for the clip. any others like this with the combo and adjustment?
Old 12-04-09, 05:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clip on one side and platform on other are junk IMO. I swap out between flats and clips all the time, two minutes top. I use anti-sieze on the pedal threads and I milled down a nice 15mm open end wrench slightly to make it easier (grinding would work too) to do the swap.
Old 12-04-09, 06:27 PM
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by victim
Clip on one side and platform on other are junk IMO. I swap out between flats and clips all the time, two minutes top. I use anti-sieze on the pedal threads and I milled down a nice 15mm open end wrench slightly to make it easier (grinding would work too) to do the swap.
+1

Shimano M520: Should be able to find for ~$30
Wellgo MG-1: $30 on eBay
661 Filter/Vans Warner SPD/Time DXZ: Filter can be had for $70, not sure on the Warner or DXZ
Park Tools PW-3 pedal wrench: $20

A little above your budget, but it'll work better than a clipless/platform combination. It doesn't take long to swap the pedals. Also, if you already have a wrench you can skip out on that, and if you have shoes to ride the platforms with, you can get a cheap set of mountain shoes for less.