Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Santa's coming.......... (Well maybe)

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-09, 05:26 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Providing you can drop enough hints

I get fed up with being bought christmas presents that I do not want or are never going to be used.

The number of cheap shoddy cycling products I have been bought over the years is unbelievable so this year I have dropped a few hints on what I want.

Could do with a pair of decent pair of summer gloves- but even I do not know what I want till I go to the shop and try them out.

So how do you manage to drop the hint to the wife or kids on the actual manufacturer and model of the presents that would make your day?

And just to cheer us up- what is it going to be?

And my system is to drop the hint that the gloves are getting a bit past it and the wife knows that I only use one shop. Then when she goes into the shop- the staff are already primed on the size- model and colour that I chose last week

Spike Milligan
Old 12-12-09, 05:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I use the same system. Best to educate the LBS on what you want and they can guide the purchase!
Old 12-12-09, 05:52 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gift card, they give you the card( thought) and you pick the product. The best of both worlds, imo.

I do like the idea of educating the LBS and letting them steer the buyer to the correct product.
Old 12-12-09, 09:19 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A smart LBS would create a "gift registry" much the same as department stores do for soon-to-be-brides. Then all the gift giver needed to do is look at your list of potential gifts and select the one that they think you deserve that is within their spending limits.

Now, if our local jeweler would have kept a data base of purchased jewelery over the past 25 years I would not have purchased duplicates.
Old 12-12-09, 03:43 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
My kids give me the web addresses of the desired items via email. It seems somewhat cold, yet I have their lists conveniently stored on my Macbook, they get want they really want, neither of us has to return and exchange anything and I don't have to wander around the shops, thinking "will they like this or will they think it's yet another misjudgment by Mom?"
I'm hoping SantaBaby brings me a gift cert. for a bike fitting, which I think he should have no trouble shopping for and I drop that hint loudly and often.
Old 12-13-09, 09:15 AM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the gift cards. Just yesterday my oldest son called and asked what everyone wanted...after I told him to keep his money, he needs it more than I need a gift, he insisted he was going to buy gifts. So I suggested gift cards for all involved. I can see a time in the future where the after Christmas sales of people using gift cards could rival the pre-Christmas buying frenzy.
Old 12-13-09, 10:53 AM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
For the immediate family- we set a limit of £10 ($15) for christmas gifts. But that goes by the board in certain cases. My Granddaughter has had a few "Necessities" in the last 6 months- The Car seat and a play centre to go on it- A high chair that was needed and a few other essentials. One of those essentials was a Trike. Well had to get her her first bike to put her on the right track. Then the wife needed a Good winter outdoor coat. Pointless getting her a cheap one as it won't last long. Got her a Northface lined and waterproof and being the cheap skate that I am- Got a good discount on it. Two son-in-laws are getting the £10 limit though but My daughters are getting Kitchen Tools. Then they might invite me round for dinner to show me how well they work.

Just hope the wife realises that my Gloves are going to cost over the limit.

Spike Milligan
Old 12-13-09, 04:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have to buy your own gift, wrap, stick under the tree and act surprised when you open it.
Old 12-13-09, 06:25 PM

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Either that or have a "secret santa" on the BF, wala I've added the "trekking (butterfly) bars" to my "Frankenbrid" and I got what I wanted for Christmas to finish off my "conversion", YEA!!! Thanks!!

Old 12-13-09, 06:59 PM
Old Fogy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When you get to my age, you can buy your own gifts and you'll still be surprised when you open them! Works with Easter eggs too, you can hide your own!
Old 12-13-09, 07:16 PM

Bikes: Trek '09 1.5 wsd, Trek '13 Cocoa

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by waldowales
When you get to my age, you can buy your own gifts and you'll still be surprised when you open them! Works with Easter eggs too, you can hide your own!

Old 12-13-09, 08:23 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stapfam, I use the prime the bike shop method as well. I didn't have any high hopes this year till my wife started asking more specific questions. I have about four things I want that I would get myself at some point anyway.

Has the pound verses dollar rate changed that much? I thought 50 pounds or quid was 100 bucks.
Old 12-14-09, 11:04 AM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Sterling has gone down and is going to be a cheap currency to buy. Expect to see a lot of Americans coming to the UK for our "Cheap" Bargains.

£1 is about £1.65 right now so £50 is around $82.50 Now earlier in the year-The £ was worth about $1.95.

But that Northface coat I bought the wife. With discount-I paid £150. Since found a US Web site that was selling it for $199 so with carriage I just about got on the right side.

And Waldo--Got out the Christmas decorations and found two presents left over from last year. No idea who they were from or to so two cheap presents for this year.

Anyone want a box of melted chocolates or a tin of Biscuits?

Spike Milligan
Old 12-14-09, 01:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert Foster
Stapfam, I use the prime the bike shop method as well. I didn't have any high hopes this year till my wife started asking more specific questions. I have about four things I want that I would get myself at some point anyway.

Has the pound verses dollar rate changed that much? I thought 50 pounds or quid was 100 bucks.
Your wife asking serious questions about bike stuff may lead to serious problems after she finds out how much this stuff costs!