Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone bought bikes from REI?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-09, 01:00 PM
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Just wondering if you are picking up the bicycle in-store at REI outlet, are the bikes fully assembled? Please share your bicycle buying experience at REI.
Old 12-14-09, 02:27 PM
Who farted?

Bikes: '06 K2 Zed 3.0, '09 Novara Buzz V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, they are, assuming you mean you ordered online and have it shipped to your local store.
Old 12-14-09, 05:02 PM

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have purchased one online. I picked it up at the store fully assembled.
Old 12-14-09, 05:07 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great store. I've purchased a couple bikes from them. Good builds and the mechanics knew what they were talking about. Greatest thing about the place? Their return policy. Doesn't fit or you don't like it after you get it, bring it back. No questions asked.
Old 12-14-09, 06:39 PM
noooooooooooooooooooob!

Bikes: Schwinn Fastback Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't buy a bike from there but I did help a friend get one and the mechanic in the back was especially helpful to her. Maybe cause she was a chick and looks great in a pair of cycling shorts but regardless they pretty much answered every question she asked about her new Scott road bike
Old 12-15-09, 12:23 AM
Lovin the O.C.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've purchased a few bikes from REI. +1 on their return policy. I was able to return a bike about 3 months after I purchased it. All I told them was "it wasn't working out" and they accepted the return.
Old 12-15-09, 05:13 AM
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thier 'house brand' Novara also makes some really great utility/recreational bikes. REI = Good stuff.
Old 12-15-09, 05:27 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
I respect REI.. Many of us are used to more popular known name brands, such as say a Bianchi Volpe.. What is a Novara. Who makes it.. How are their consumer ratings ?.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 12-15-09, 07:23 AM

Bikes: 08 Novara Safari; 06 Schwinn Super Sport DBX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought Novara Safari online and had it shipped. Nearest store was 140mi away and I was living car free. Assembly was minimal. Handlebars, pedals, seat, wheels. If I remember correctly, the brakes and shifters were already connected.
Old 12-15-09, 11:10 AM
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That's awesome to know. I'm really interested at some of their clearance bike like the Marin Fairfax, Scott Speedster, etc.... but as they are clearance items, I think size selection will be limited. So a good return policy would be bonus!
Old 12-15-09, 12:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've heard their return policy is pretty liberal. Supposedly I could return my bike without hassle after daily commuting through 4 seasons.
Old 12-15-09, 06:48 PM
Pro Paper Plane Pilot

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sumguy
I've heard their return policy is pretty liberal. Supposedly I could return my bike without hassle after daily commuting through 4 seasons.
that is ethically wrong imho.
Old 12-15-09, 07:38 PM
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
I respect REI.. Many of us are used to more popular known name brands, such as say a Bianchi Volpe.. What is a Novara. Who makes it.. How are their consumer ratings ?.
All bikes that aren't being custom made (this includes almost any bikes being produced by any major brand) are made in the same 3 factories (2 in china, one in Taiwan) There is really very little difference in quality between a Trek, a Novara, a Giant, a Specialized, a Gary Fisher, a Jamis, a Scott, a Felt, a Fuji, or any other major brand within a similar pricepoint. Also if you want to read feedback from actuall owners there are reviews posted on REI.com for many of their bikes.
Old 12-15-09, 09:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Novara road bike. Really enjoy it. Could not afford the Cannondale I wanted. But I got full carbon, SRAM, and MAVIC wheels for under 2K. Well built bike.
Old 12-15-09, 10:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wunderkind
that is ethically wrong imho.
true and not something I would do.
Old 12-15-09, 11:36 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Positive. I bought my first real road bike there. Got a lot more bike than I could otherwise afforded.
Old 12-15-09, 11:44 PM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan
All bikes that aren't being custom made (this includes almost any bikes being produced by any major brand) are made in the same 3 factories (2 in china, one in Taiwan) There is really very little difference in quality
Thanks... Three factories..?..... Maybe bikes are more generic than we thought..?.... Like, if you've watched often Mobil Oil gasoline is off loaded at say, a Marathon Oil station.. Possibly a Chinese worker assembles a Novara one day and that same worker might assemble a Giant the next.?.?...

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 12-16-09, 09:32 AM

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan
All bikes that aren't being custom made (this includes almost any bikes being produced by any major brand) are made in the same 3 factories (2 in china, one in Taiwan) There is really very little difference in quality between a Trek, a Novara, a Giant, a Specialized, a Gary Fisher, a Jamis, a Scott, a Felt, a Fuji, or any other major brand within a similar pricepoint. Also if you want to read feedback from actuall owners there are reviews posted on REI.com for many of their bikes.
Yeah, they're about the same. Big difference with REI is their service. I suspect that the REI mechanics have better working conditions and compensation than what a small bike shop owner can offer. The result is a happier mechanic and thus a happier customer experience.
Old 12-16-09, 12:18 PM
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have 3 Novara bikes(the FlyBy is technically a rebadged Dahon). You def get your money's worth for the price with the parts they spec. Their return policy is nice;I returned my Road Buzz after the alloy fork bothered my carpel tunnel too much. Be warned though,a friend bought a Scott off the outlet site and they would only ship it to a store that carried Scotts. They have that policy for several brands.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 12-16-09, 01:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to work at REI and was a bike mechanic there for awhile. Bikes come partially assembled but the shop actually takes the time to go through everything and make sure it is right. For example, the bottom braket and craniks are already installed on the frame, but it is standard to pull them back off and make sure the bottom bracket is installed correctly. The bike build procedure is pretty detailed and thorough.

Although a lot of bike frames are made at the same factories in Taiwan or China, they are not the same frames. Each manufacturer designs the frames the way they want and the factories buld them to specification. Novaras are designed by engineers or designers working for REI and are not identical to any other bike brand. They are good bikes for the money, in my opinion.

I'm not sure that REI mechanics are paid any better or have better working conditions than they would at a regular bike shop, but it may be true if you are comparing to some of the low-end mom and pop bike shops. Certainly in the Bay Area of California where I live, REI doesn't pay a living wage. That's the deal killer for a lot of us former REI employees who have to move on to something else to survive.

So, having worked at REI, my opinion is that REI is a good place to buy a bike and Novaras are worthy of consideration. However, if you can find a local bike shop that has the bikes you like and has good service, I think you should go with the LBS. The reason is that a local bike shop has more stake in the community and more of the money stays in your local area. In spite of its polished image, REI is pretty much just another big box store like a Best Buy or a Target.