Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What was should I go on the purchase? New Trek? Or used Electra?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-09, 11:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My wife has asked for a bike for Christmas....I'm looking at 3-speed Cruisers. I can purchase a new Trek with 3-speed nexus, coaster brakes, steel frame for abour $400. Or I can get the same features on an Electra Amsterdam in really nice shape that's used. What would you do? These are the features she wants...thoughts? Thanks! I need to make a decision today or it will be to late to order the Trek and have it here in time. Of course, that would make my decision for me then.
Old 12-19-09, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
My father bought a Trek Lime this year. It's a pretty tame bike but he is pushing 80. He wanted simplicity but with 3 speeds to ease the hills he tackles. I was pushing for an Amsterdam as I still don't get why one would not want direct control of the gears. He on the other hand, has everything he wanted in a bike and it has been very reliable. To each his/her own.
Old 12-19-09, 01:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just realized how terrible the heading of this topic is. I actually do speak English.....my kids were talking to me while I was typing that and I should have double checked. ha ha....oh well. Not sure if I can change it now.
Old 12-19-09, 01:12 PM
Comfortably Numb!

Bikes: Jamis Commuter 3.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would go new for a Christmas present.

If there's a Performance Bike in your area, the Schwinn Coffee is also a nice choice that fits your needs.

Good luck!

https://tinyurl.com/yznec3b
Old 12-19-09, 01:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BA Commuter
I would go new for a Christmas present.

If there's a Performance Bike in your area, the Schwinn Coffee is also a nice choice that fits your needs.

Good luck!

https://tinyurl.com/yznec3b
Thank you. There is a Performance Bike over in Walnut Creek so I will go check it out. Thanks for the tip. Also, I'm wondering why the Electra is so much more expensive than the Trek. I think they are about twice as much when purchased new. Are they that much better of a bike? And if so, what features make them so much better? And since the used bike is pristine condition...or at least appears to me to be....would it be worth considering the used bike for close to the same price as the new Trek? See the dilemma?
Old 12-19-09, 06:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, if anyone is interested...I ended up picking up an Electra Hawaii new for the same price as the Trek bike. It's a much more "fun" looking bike and has the same basic features. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-20-09, 08:07 AM

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on the new purchase. Hopefully she will like it and ride it regularly. The Schwinn Coffee at Performance is a single speed. I have the Schwinn Cream that is also a single speed. Luckily I managed to catch it for $169 some months ago.