Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Langster 1x9?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Langster 1x9?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-10, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Langster 1x9?

Hey All,

I have just picked up an 06 Langster and was considering making it an all-purpose bike. My ideal setup for covering everything with this bike would be as a 1x9.

Is this really even possible? I have a der hanger that will fit in the horiz. dropout, reversed to hold the wheel in place, and was thinking about a chain keeper to make sure everything stayed in line on the chainring...

What do you guys think? I figured mechanics would give me the best information and input on this idea. Please let me know if this is really in the wrong place.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-03-10, 01:25 PM

Bikes: 2006 Bianchi 928 Record and 2002 Bianchi Axis 1x9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the rear spacing 130mm? If not, then you'll have a very tough time fitting a 9spd wheel back there.
Old 01-03-10, 01:34 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah - It's a 130mm flip/flop rear hub right now and I just checked my spare 9spd. It's working back there as well.
Old 01-03-10, 08:46 PM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
You'll need to either run full length derailler cable housing (could possibly cause some friction issues) or you'll need to add cable stops somehow. A typical derailler-equipped bike with have a stop on the headtube, a cable guide under the bottom bracket and then another stop on the seat stay. Top tube stops are available seperately if you have round tubes but shaped tubes will present some difficulties.

I will be the first to suggest that you'd be much better off selling the Langster and buying a derailler-equipped road bike.
Old 01-03-10, 09:04 PM

Bikes: 2006 Bianchi 928 Record and 2002 Bianchi Axis 1x9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ouzo 4 Twozo
Yeah - It's a 130mm flip/flop rear hub right now and I just checked my spare 9spd. It's working back there as well.
Well that is the first hurdle cleared. As JoeJack mentioned, you will have to figure out a way to route the cables though. You can easily run a full housing for the rear brake with either zipties or sticky cable mounts that you can buy at bike stores. The shifter cables may be a bit more tricky. Some older roadbikes had clamp-on cable stops, but if your frame tubes are the right shape, then they won't work for you.

I agree with JoeJack that it will be much less of a headache to buy a different bike (either a 2x9 or 3x9) and convert that to a 1x9. You should be able to sell your Langster for decent money or even trade somebody straight across for their 9spd roadbike.