Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

An Amplified Windows-Closed "Get Off the F-ing Road"

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-10, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was riding home last night as the sun was setting on a cold, snowy afternoon and I'm near home pedaling along on a 4 lane road that's somewhat busy, I got yelled at by a guy in a monster wheel type Dodge Ram pickup in a bizarre way.

I've been cussed out a half dozen times so I'm that's not the issue. But never in the winter, (I figure) since the cager would have to roll down his window and suck in the cold air. This time was different as this guy was very well prepared. He turned on a PA system that he seemingly directed right at me, and out came the loudest and clearest "get off the f-ing road" I've ever heard--and I was wearing a balaclava! (I was further humbled since my mitten prevented me from giving him the traditional response.)

This guy can push a button and cuss out anyone in the damn whole world. It's redneck heaven for this dude! I hope this isn't standard equipment on new trucks.
Old 01-06-10, 08:12 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Ooofa! It's not a good development, that's for sure.

Twice this week (and it's only Wednesday) I've heard muffled things yelled at me from car windows. I can usually go a year or more without anything of this sort, so something must be up. I think it ticks them off to see someone out riding in the cold, though why that would be... the mind fairly boggles.
Old 01-06-10, 08:13 AM
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thdave
This guy can push a button and cuss out anyone in the damn whole world. It's redneck heaven for this dude! I hope this isn't standard equipment on new trucks.
Wow, I'm feeling ripped off. My truck is absent this feature! Maybe its because I have a GMC...made to be "PROFESSIONAL" grade Seriously though, I find this more funny than offensive.
Old 01-06-10, 08:18 AM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
This guy can push a button and cuss out anyone in the damn whole world.
Yeah, I've encountered a few of those boys. They've got a new toy and just have to play with it. I guess a car horn just isn't eloquent enough for them.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 01-06-10, 08:20 AM
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
As I understand the law, in Illinois it's illegal to have a PA in the car unless it's an emerency vehicle. No matter if it's legal to have one, I can't imagine that's a legal use of a PA. Next time I'd get the plate number and call him in. The fact that you know he has a PA is proof he used it....
Old 01-06-10, 08:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DogBoy
Wow, I'm feeling ripped off. My truck is absent this feature! Maybe its because I have a GMC...made to be "PROFESSIONAL" grade Seriously though, I find this more funny than offensive.
Sorry, but I have to agree here...Maybe it's just the way you described it Dave, but I'm . I'm sure that freaked you out...
Old 01-06-10, 08:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DogBoy
At first I was ticked, then I was shaking my head at what I heard but now I'm with you--it is funny.
Old 01-06-10, 08:59 AM

Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(I was further humbled since my mitten prevented me from giving him the traditional response.)
A gloved hand held up will usually be interpreted correctly in this situation.
Old 01-06-10, 09:14 AM
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Pig_Chaser
A gloved hand held up will usually be interpreted correctly in this situation.
Or you could use the international made-for-mittens version...

Old 01-06-10, 09:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami
Or you could use the international made-for-mittens version...

Love it, Chris!

(but I won't risk it in the winter--I might fall going no handed whilst riding on icy streets, which would give untold satisfaction to the monster wheel truck driver)
Old 01-06-10, 09:58 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Not that I'd ever use it for hollering profanities at cyclists, but I've got a PA system hooked up to a toggle on the CB in my Jeep. It's nice to have when you're queued up in a line of traffic and there's some prick who knows the lane he's in has to merge but he's more important than the rest of us so he's zipped up to the head of the queue instead of getting over when the rest of the drivers merged, and he's stuck there trying to nose his $90K Mercedes in front of you. My response to that is to pick up the mic and announce, "Take a look at my Jeep. Does it look like I care if you hit me? I'm not letting you in. You should have queued up like the rest of us. Your Mercedes does not make you any better than us."
Old 01-06-10, 10:02 AM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Love it, Chris!

(but I won't risk it in the winter--I might fall going no handed whilst riding on icy streets, which would give untold satisfaction to the monster wheel truck driver)
There's always the backhand swept forward under the chin manouvre, which lets you keep one hand on the bars.
Old 01-06-10, 10:03 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone ran into the trucks with the Train Horns? I darn near shat myself when a truck wailed on it coming up behind me. Evidently the hide the airtanks under their truck somewhere. I was somewhat amused after I made sure I didn't soil myself.
Old 01-06-10, 10:20 AM
Isaias

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Ooofa! It's not a good development, that's for sure.

Twice this week (and it's only Wednesday) I've heard muffled things yelled at me from car windows. I can usually go a year or more without anything of this sort, so something must be up. I think it ticks them off to see someone out riding in the cold, though why that would be... the mind fairly boggles.

It's not a new development--it's retro, usually an option that comes with a Citizen's Band (CB) radio.
Old 01-06-10, 10:33 AM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by poopisnotfood
Has anyone ran into the trucks with the Train Horns? I darn near shat myself when a truck wailed on it coming up behind me. Evidently the hide the airtanks under their truck somewhere. I was somewhat amused after I made sure I didn't soil myself.
Ran into? OK, I guess I'll have to admit my hillbilly streak: I have a 125dB twin trumpet air horn on my Jeep, along with the PA speaker.
It's the "Last Resort" horn, and I have it wired to a separate button from my regular horn. The big chrome external train horns usually run off a tanked compressor inside the vehicle, but the little plastic ones you can hide under the hood have a self contained compressor module which installs with them.
Old 01-06-10, 11:42 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
He musta picked it up at the Mt. Prospect cop surplus auction.

Old 01-06-10, 11:49 AM
Spinning @ 33 RPM

Bikes: '89 Fuji Saratoga, '97 Schwinn Mesa SS, '07 Felt F1X, '10 Transition TransAM, '11 Soma Analog SS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Did the Dodge Ram happen to be diesel, navy blue and with exhaust stacks like a semi? Had that guy yell at me last year over his PA, but I couldn't understand anything he said. He even turned around twice so he could pass me 3 times. This was also in Ohio.
Old 01-06-10, 11:54 AM
L T X B O M P F A N S R

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi San Jose, Redline 925

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1641 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
(I was further humbled since my mitten prevented me from giving him the traditional response.)
This happened to me once... A box truck bearing down on my ass leaning on his horn as I was struggling up a hill in my tank of a winter commuter. When he finally decided to pass me in the wide open lane to his left (wtf?), I held out my mittened hand to him, and I can only assume he knew that I was giving him the finger by my body language
Old 01-06-10, 12:31 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I was riding home last night as the sun was setting on a cold, snowy afternoon and I'm near home pedaling along on a 4 lane road that's somewhat busy, I got yelled at by a guy in a monster wheel type Dodge Ram pickup in a bizarre way.

I've been cussed out a half dozen times so I'm that's not the issue. But never in the winter, (I figure) since the cager would have to roll down his window and suck in the cold air. This time was different as this guy was very well prepared. He turned on a PA system that he seemingly directed right at me, and out came the loudest and clearest "get off the f-ing road" I've ever heard--and I was wearing a balaclava! (I was further humbled since my mitten prevented me from giving him the traditional response.)

Probably has a CB with a PA feature. Only thing you can do is get an Airzounds to respond in kind.
Old 01-06-10, 12:43 PM

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by apricissimus
I held out my mittened hand to him, and I can only assume he knew that I was giving him the finger by my body language
Intention is everything. I found that with my lobster mitts, I hold up all 3 of my mitted fingers then very deliberately show the driver as I fold down my thumb and pinky/ring finger. Sure, my index and middle finger are extended, but for the intent with a pair of lobster mitts on, that is my middle finger.
Old 01-06-10, 12:50 PM
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
My dad had one on his similarly monstered-up Ford (at the time, a '92 F350), and he might still on his '06 F150, but I think he's only used it to harass his children in parking lots.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7
Old 01-06-10, 01:22 PM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Probably has a CB with a PA feature. Only thing you can do is get an Airzounds to respond in kind.
You could shoot out a tire and watch him tip over as the tire goes flat.
Old 01-06-10, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Find out what radio station he listens to and follow him around with a "Mr. Microphone" and make comments on his driving and heritage.

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock
Old 01-06-10, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I always try to soften the aggression by doffing an imaginary cap.

In the UK, sadly, this is sometimes mistaken for a gesture which implies that the person concerned is a d-ckhead.
Old 01-06-10, 06:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by atbman
In the UK, sadly, this is sometimes mistaken for a gesture which implies that the person concerned is a d-ckhead.
Sounds like a feature, not a bug.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.