Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Jamis Aurora 2009 vs 2010 ?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-10, 07:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have narrowed down my choice of bike to the Jamis Aurora. Would you choose 2009 or 2010 and why?

Price at bike shop isn't enough to make a difference.

https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...10_aurora.html

https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik.../09_aurora.pdf

Last edited by mkwdrs; 01-12-10 at 07:09 AM. Reason: forgot links
Old 01-12-10, 08:03 AM
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would choose the 2010 simply because I like the blue better and it's one year newer. The components appear to be virtually unchanged from one year to the next.
Old 01-12-10, 11:01 AM

Bikes: Giant Deny Advanced, GT Avalanche, Giant Seek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 2010 model looks like it now has fenders. Also, that green is sweet.
Old 01-12-10, 11:02 AM

Bikes: Giant Deny Advanced, GT Avalanche, Giant Seek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, the 2010 PDF says the following:

Upgrades/Changes from 2009
Wider range gearing with 11-34T cassette
New Shimano Deore M591 rear derailleur
Blade Runner fenders
Jamis suede bar tape
Old 01-12-10, 12:35 PM
Full of Love and Meatloaf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the 2009 and it is a mean machine. I love it. It's in my sig. The new componentry does not really make that much of a difference as far as performance is concerned. You will get a much better gearing increase by trading out the Cranks with a set of mountain cranks.

Looks obviously are important as you want to like looking at the bike. I actually like the classic styling of my cream dream, as I call it. Depending on what kind of price difference you are looking at would be the big determination for me. Fenders aren't really expensive, so if your not worried about color, and you are getting over $100 dollars off by going with the '09, I would save the cash and put it into performance upgrades to suit your riding style. I had to trade out the saddle on mine immediately. It was uncomfortable and I traded it with my commuter bike. If you don't have a favorite seat already this may be an area of concern. If the '10 has the same plastic venting in the center of the saddle, then it is the same seat. I won't get into too much detail, but I use the term cheese grater to describe that horror.

All that being said, you will not go wrong either way. This is a great bike that rides so smooth and can take on lots of hills.

Steel is real!

Last edited by aidanpryde18; 01-12-10 at 12:41 PM. Reason: added more detail
Old 01-14-10, 02:16 AM

Bikes: 15 Specialized Crosstrail, 83 Schwinn Traveller, Fuji Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like the blue 2010 model but I must say the fenders look kind of cheesy.
They look like flat strips, not too carefully bent around the circumference, and no bend at all around the sidewall.
All in all not very impressive looking in the photo.
Old 01-14-10, 02:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It seems very few bikes that come with fenders, especially in that price range and below, actually have good fenders. More like a check mark in a Touring Checklist somewhere. A feature to add cred. The 520 does the same thing.
Old 01-14-10, 03:55 PM

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
THe quality of the bikes is pretty much identical. Is you optimum size available in last year's as well as this year's model? Are you going to add fenders after you buy? Do you ride in mountains or fully loaded where a 34 tooth cog will be an asset?

If it makes any difference, see if the shop will give you a deal on some acessories for last years model - a new lock and pump and seat bag and helmet.

Either way you will be happy as a clam at high tide with either one.
Old 01-14-10, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LarDasse74
THe quality of the bikes is pretty much identical. Is you optimum size available in last year's as well as this year's model? Are you going to add fenders after you buy? Do you ride in mountains or fully loaded where a 34 tooth cog will be an asset?

If it makes any difference, see if the shop will give you a deal on some acessories for last years model - a new lock and pump and seat bag and helmet.

Either way you will be happy as a clam at high tide with either one.

Size is available in 2009 and 2010. I will add fenders. I probably would even replace the 2010 fenders based on the picture. I am overweight and struggle with hills, so the easier the granny gear the better. I probably like the 2010 colors better than 2009.

I also just found a 2009 Elite for $1100 in my size. I do like that it is lighter, but the gearing may mess me up. I'm not sure that I would like the color of it. I guess I will at least go take a look.

I won't do any heavy touring. I just want a steel bike and the Jamis geometry seems to fit me the best in the price range that I'm looking. So calling locals shops, I can get either 2009 or 2010 in my size all within $200 of each other.

I guess the perfect bike would be the 2009 Elite with the 2010 Aurora gearing in the 2010 Aurora colors. Oh well.
Old 01-15-10, 01:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride 'em all and see what you like.

Ya, the 2009 Aurora Elite is just barely a Touring bike. It's more designed for light-weight distance rides. Say, non-race centuries. To me it kind of seems like a jack of all trades and master of none.

Go with either one, they are so similar in the important aspects that you shouldn't notice much in ride-quality. So you just have to decide if the aesthetics are worth the extra cash.
Old 01-17-10, 11:55 PM
Clyde that Rides

Bikes: 2008 Jamis Aurora,1988 Specialized Hardrock, 1980? Kuwahara Carrera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It would seem to me that there is little difference between the two model years beyond paint color and the cassette. I agree in your assessment that the '09 Elite with '10 gearing would be great. If you're not going to be touring I don't think the slight difference in cassettes is going to make a difference because you'll get stronger as you ride and pretty soon you'll be beyond that gear range.
I own and thoroughly enjoy a 2008 Aurora although the stock rear wheel is showing signs of fatigue from my clyde-ness. In general I can't recommend any piece of cycling gear that I own more heavily than the Aurora.
Of the choices I say go with the cheapest from the LBS that offers the best customer service. 2 years of tune ups is worth an extra $100 in my book. Invest in good fenders (I use SKS) and you're golden.