Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Am I dying?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-04, 11:53 PM
What?

Bikes: Bianchi Brava(retired), Surly Instigator(retired)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Am I dying?

For about the last 2 weeks it seems I have been only wanting to eat and sleep. Normally I eat 4 meals a day, breakfast, lunch, snack and late dinner and I get about 9 hours of sleep. But lately I have been sleeping all most 12 hours a night and eatting huge amounts of food. Like tonight I have a chicken breast, brocoilli, rice and then 3 hours later I had 2 eggs and a bagel and I'm STILL hungry. Before that, my girlfriend and I went out about a 15 mile ride. I don't know if its the time of year when its hot and your body doesn't want to do anything or I'm having a growth spurt (Im 21 and 6'4 and weigh 235lbs) I want to lose a few more pounds but I cant when I feel like im starving and I need to eat. Whats wrong with me?
Old 08-11-04, 11:57 PM
randomness inc.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
worms!! honeslty, no idea. if in doubt, a doctor or 3's oppinion is probably a good start.
Old 08-12-04, 12:03 AM
What?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I go to the doctor for a physical next week. Just kinda worried right now
Old 08-12-04, 12:07 AM
randomness inc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
make sure u go and get more than one oppinion. i lost 6 months of my life off a wrong diagnosis from 2 different docs for my knee issues (thanks fellas).

maybee get some Rn R between now and then and see how ya go?
Old 08-12-04, 12:16 AM
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I was 15, and doing cross-country running, tekwondo, and basketball...I was eating 5 egg sandiwches for breakfast, 2 school lunches for lunch, and nearly an entire large pizza for dinner....and was still hungry....but I was only staying still when asleep, at the school desk (my leg was still twitching like nobodies business), or eating...so my metabolism was just absurd.

Yeah, at your weight, get it looked at..but it could jsut be a side effect of the weight loss, like i was having when I had my giant weight loss burst during the first three months of taking cycling up again. Nearly 10 years of inactivity with a metabolism like that leads to one very overweight guy Lost 40, another 40 to go....I'm at 220 now, and am only 5'8"...so you can kinda guess how bad I felt at 260....

Well best of luck man.

(pardon if the typing sucks...I got a "free" new keyboard...and it well....like the typing may be...sucks....it's the whole gift horse in the mouth thing)
Old 08-12-04, 06:37 AM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I went through something like that when I was travelling. I mean, I couldn't get up unless I had 10- 12 hours of sleep, I was pretty hungry all the time, whether before, during, or after the ride, and I felt like I needed naps. It must have been a phase, because now that I'm back home into my regular routine, I'm back to my 5- 6 hours per night, not so hungry, and not so tired. Still need my naps, though.

Has something in your daily routine changed?

Koffee

Old 08-12-04, 12:44 PM
What?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had lots of weight lose over the past year. Went from about 300 down to 230. nothing really seems to changed, school starts in a few weeks, I have been stressin about my classes. I can't really think of anything. My girlfriend said I might be diabetic..anyone shine any light on that? Once I'm up after my 12-13 hours..Im not tired and I cant nap. Maybe I should just go to bed at night.
Old 08-12-04, 02:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a biking diabetic let me first say...GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR and write down all your sypmtoms before hand or any your girlfriend may have noticed.

That said I prior to my diagnosis (I'm type 2...less severe). I was having fatigue problems but also I ate nothing but crap and had little activity. My main cue was that I was voracious in my sugared drink consumption. One night I mixed a gallon of lemonade and drank it all in 15 minute and I still could have had more (that pretty much sent me to the doctor). If you're thirsty for sugar all the time...peeing several times a night...waking up with about 4 seconds to pee. You "could" be diabetic...the sooner diagnosed the better. If caught early enough it can be managed by diet. So write down all the things you're feeling and check with your family if there is a history. THE GOOD NEWS...biking is good in helping to manage it. I wish you the best.
Old 08-12-04, 02:15 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
First of all we are all dying. So yes you are. Maybe you were asking if you were going to be dying soon? Based on what you have submitted i see no reason that you should think you are dying. I can assure you that there are plenty of people in this world right now that ARE dying and they would love to have your symptoms. Usually symptoms leading to death are a lot less pleasant.

With that said, we live in a country with great health care, both physical and mental. If you believe something is wrong with you i would investigate the physical first. If that is cleared than likely your problem is mental. Mental problems can lead to all sorts of problems including the things you describe. (so can physical problems)

So remember, yes you are dying so hurry up and go ride your bike before it is too late. (intended for humor, everyone relax...............breathe.......... )
Old 08-12-04, 09:12 PM
What?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hahaha..I can def. see the humor. I hope I'm not dying sooner than others. Like i said, I go see the doctor on wednesday of next week. Its a yearly physical so he already took blood for my blood test. Im assuming that if anything is off it will show up there. Thanks for all the input. If yall have anymore keep responding.