Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is chain rub on the front deraileur wall normal ?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-18-10, 11:51 AM

Bikes: FUJI Nevada 1.0 2009

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a MTB with a 3 x 8 drivetrain setup and when placed in the tallest gear combo (biggest cog up front, smallest cog back) the chain rubs against the front deraileur's wall, or side, whatever you call it. Is this normal ?
Old 01-18-10, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
no. adjust it with the help of parktool or sheldons site
Old 01-18-10, 11:59 AM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by zeo_max
I have a MTB with a 3 x 8 drivetrain setup and when placed in the tallest gear combo (biggest cog up front, smallest cog back) the chain rubs against the front deraileur's wall, or side, whatever you call it. Is this normal ?
No, this is not normal at the gear combo you described. You need to do a front derailleur adjustment. Go to Park Tool's website or Bicycletutor.com to see how to adjust the front derailleur.
Old 01-18-10, 12:01 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
A properly adjusted front derailleur should not let the chain rub on the inside of the cage (that's what it's called) plate in the smallest cog and largest chainring. An adjustment to the cable tension should correct it. If the cage won't move any further outboard, the high limit screw can be loosened slightly.
Old 01-18-10, 06:39 PM

Bikes: FUJI Nevada 1.0 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using this video: https://bicycletutor.com/adjust-front-derailer/

And I wanna know something. At 2:45, he talks about using the shifter barrel adjuster to eliminate chain rub on the sides of the cage. Is this the only adjustment I have to do out of all others shown in the video ? My gears shift just dandy, the only problem is the chain rub, and I don't wanna mess up my gear system by trying to fix something that didn't need to be fixed.

Also, if the chain is rubbing on the left side of the cage (when looking at it from the position of sitting on the bike) do I have to turn the shifter barrel adjuster Clockwise or CounterClockwise ?
Old 01-19-10, 12:24 AM
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
After properly adjusting the cable to your front-derailleur (FD), after riding a bit - the cable will stretch and the cage of the FD may well start rubbing. Now you can loosen the cable anchor-bolt and pull the cable tight again and secure the bolt with 48 - 60 ip. OR you can have installed an inline barrel-adjuster and give it a small tweak to re-adjust the cable without even getting off the bike. Or slowing down.

Here are the barrel-adjusters I recommend:

https://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...rrel-Adjusters

Here's one ready to roll:

Old 01-19-10, 12:49 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,343 Posts
There are two adjustments needed to manage the outermost position of the FD cage. The outer (H) limit screw which, as its name implies, determines how far the cage can move. And the cable tension, or trim adjustment which actually controls the position with respect to the lever position. First test the limit position by actuating the FD directly with your hand, or by pulling the wire away from the downtube to see if it will move farther out. If not, back off the limit screw and test again until you've solved the rubbing problem. Next use the adjusting barrel to increase the cable and move the cage out to the desired position.

When you've adjusted the trim based on the outer/outer combination test FD shifting and trim for the other chainrings. You might have to readjust the trim for the best all around performance rather than the one combination only. Sometimes a bit of compromise is needed.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-19-10, 12:57 AM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by zeo_max
I'm using this video: https://bicycletutor.com/adjust-front-derailer/

And I wanna know something. At 2:45, he talks about using the shifter barrel adjuster to eliminate chain rub on the sides of the cage. Is this the only adjustment I have to do out of all others shown in the video ? My gears shift just dandy, the only problem is the chain rub, and I don't wanna mess up my gear system by trying to fix something that didn't need to be fixed.

Also, if the chain is rubbing on the left side of the cage (when looking at it from the position of sitting on the bike) do I have to turn the shifter barrel adjuster Clockwise or CounterClockwise ?
Clockwise.
Old 01-19-10, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by operator
Clockwise.
Wrong.

If the chain is rubbing the left side of the cage, it needs a limit screw adjustment.
Old 01-19-10, 11:15 AM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Grand Bois
Wrong.

If the chain is rubbing the left side of the cage, it needs a limit screw adjustment.
Ever tire of being ignorant?

Decrease tension on the cable moves the cage to the "left" - which is clockwise on the barrel adjuster. If you actually viewed the video, he's talking about adjusting the cage in the *middle* ring, which means limit screw have NO EFFECT.

Take the garbage you post and put it elsewhere and learn to read.