Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Connector link compatibility

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-10, 08:34 PM
Faster than yesterday

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've heard of people switching out the master link for a sram, wipperman, kmc, or whatever else they like, seemingly without regard for compatibility with the chain. I assumed it didn't matter.

Went to the LBS today, as I needed a new master link for a 10 spd KMC chain. He only had a SRAM Powerlock, and said he didn't think it would work. But it was only a few bucks, and I thought it would.

So who is right? Can I use the SRAM Powerlock with a 10 spd KMC chain? Are all these interchangeable, like I thought?
Old 01-19-10, 08:44 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I think your LBS was correct. If you're going to use a master link (I don't) you need one that is no wider than any part of the chain. Most new 10 speed chains are 5.9 mm overall width.

Al
Old 01-19-10, 09:25 PM
Faster than yesterday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most new 10 speed chains are 5.9 mm overall width.
Just looked it up: SRAM 10 spd chains are supposedly 5.95mm, KMC 5.88mm. So, the Sram link should fit, but it will be looser than normal. 0.07 is probably within manufacturing tolerances, though...
Old 01-19-10, 09:26 PM
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
If the Powerlock is for a 9-speed (it's gold) lotsa grief can come your way. SRAM claims their 10-speed Powerlock is only for use on their chains and is good for a one-time use.

KMC Missing Links are inexpensive, about $5, and reusable. When you get a chance, buy more than one.
Old 01-19-10, 09:44 PM
Faster than yesterday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Davet
If the Powerlock is for a 9-speed (it's gold) lotsa grief can come your way. SRAM claims their 10-speed Powerlock is only for use on their chains and is good for a one-time use.

KMC Missing Links are inexpensive, about $5, and reusable. When you get a chance, buy more than one.
Two LBS's in town. One open later. They only had the 10 spd SRAM link. I thought it might work, and it was cheap. I just wanted to use the trainer tonight, but my KMC link broke during cleaning.
Old 01-20-10, 07:49 AM

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
You're looking at the wrong dimension. While the outside widths are all the same, the width across the inner plates is not. A SRAM 10 powerlock will fit SRAM or Campy UN chains properly. It's too narrow across the inside for any other brand. You want a minimum side clearance of .004 inch, but not much more than .008 inch.

What you need for a KMC chain (or Shimano or Wipperman) is a KMC 10 link, wipperman connex or Forster superlink, model 3. The model 4 superlink is narrower across the inside, for SRAM or Campy UN.