Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tube won't tuck under tire -- ???

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-10, 11:28 PM
bike2mars

Bikes: 1986 Nishiki Prestige 52cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so i replaced my tubes today (700c) and it was business as usual. but, this is my first time using a tube with a presta valve. not sure if the valve is a big deal though.

but around the valve, the tube doesn't seem to tuck in underneath the tire. i re-did the tubing and it's still the same. my fingers are a bit sore from trying to play with the tube in that area, so i can't be bothered with re-doing it again tonight.

any tips, advice, criticisms? greatly appreciated!

thank you.
Old 01-19-10, 11:39 PM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You have to work the valve area inside the beads gently. It may take some practice.
Old 01-19-10, 11:51 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Just push the valve area in and hold it while you seat the rest of the tire.

It may well be the brand of tube you're using. I've never had an issue with the tube around the valve area.
Old 01-20-10, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I always tuck in the tube at the valve first. Try that.
Old 01-20-10, 08:11 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Does the Presta fit your rims?
Old 01-20-10, 08:39 AM

Bikes: Jamis Coda

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With narrower rims, the reinforced area around the valve can get in the way of seating the tire bead. If you're using threaded valved, loosen the nut on the valve so you can push the valve part way back into the rim and allow the bead room to move under the reinforced area of the tube. After the whole bead is seated you can then retighten to valve nut.
Old 01-20-10, 08:44 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Two suggestions.

1- Put enough air into the tube to give it shape before installing it. this makes it far easier to push into the tire and the shape keeps it well in the tire reducing the chance of pinching it between the tite and rim. You might have to bleed some of the air out as you finish the installation.

2- Mount the tire starting opposite and ending at the valve. Then gently push the valve in so as to bring the reinforced section at the base well up into the tire, ease the beads into position and pull the valve back down settling the tube above the tire.

One last thought, anticipating a future problem. If you're using a Presta valve tube with a rim drilled for Schrader valves, use a grommet or valve hole adapter to protect the base of the valve from the corners of the oversize hole. Otherwise there's a decent chance of the tube getting cut there, or the valve extruding out at high pressure. Years ago when there were no ready made adapters, I used the sticky fiber reinforcements they used to sell for looseleaf notebook pages. Just slide two of them glued to each other down the valve before installing the tube.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-20-10, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Two suggestions.

1- Put enough air into the tube to give it shape before installing it. this makes it far easier to push into the tire and the shape keeps it well in the tire reducing the chance of pinching it between the tite and rim. You might have to bleed some of the air out as you finish the installation.

2- Mount the tire starting opposite and ending at the valve. Then gently push the valve in so as to bring the reinforced section at the base well up into the tire, ease the beads into position and pull the valve back down settling the tube above the tire.
I do it the opposite way. Starting at the valve means the tire is loosest and easier to wiggle the valve into it's spot.

With wire bead, or a foldable that holds it's shape, I put a puff of air into the tube, mount it inside the tire, then mount them together onto the rim. Always seemd the eaisest way to me. With a new, floppy foldable, it doesn't work.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-20-10, 12:54 PM

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
What I found works for me:
I blow into the tube with my mouth to give the tube some shape. As much air as I can blow in, is about right.
I push the valve through the rim first, then install the rest of the tube in place and seat the tire bead.
At this point if the bead has not seated near the valve I push the valve back into the tire which allows the bead to seat.

Al