Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What a way to start touring SoCal :/

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-10, 01:52 PM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 99 Posts

Hi people!

I flew into LA on tuesday morning from -20 C sweden...

Set off at first light from LAX, bit chilly and fairly stiff headwind... but no big deal...

A very kind BF member had offered to give me place to stay for the first night in Long Beach and she picked me up when I was getting close...

That afternoon: Storms, tornados, floodings, water spouts, huge waves coming in from the ocean, landslide warnings! Hah!
She has let me stay at her place since then. No way I can ever repay this kindness and hospitality! ><

Hopefully the worst of the storms will have passed by tomorrow (friday) morning so I can move on down towards San Clemente, San Diego then either into the desert regions (my original plan) or down to Mexico (plan B) and come back to SoCal when it gets a bit warmer.

Hoping there's none of you stuck out there in this weather. Be careful!
Old 01-21-10, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This weather is killing me!! No riding all week and staying indoors all the time is no fun. I don't know how you people with 'real seasons' do it.
Old 01-21-10, 02:46 PM

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ryandood
This weather is killing me!! No riding all week and staying indoors all the time is no fun. I don't know how you people with 'real seasons' do it.
Studded snow tires.

Speedo
Old 01-21-10, 03:45 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the weather outside is frightful!

My brother and I fly into San Francisco a week from today and plan on biking down the coast to Santa Barbara.

Our itinerary plans for 6 days on the bike and two days off. I am REALLY hoping the weather quiets down or the trip could prove to be wet and miserable.

I'm glad i bought the showers pass rain jacket. Looks like i'll need a paddle too!
Old 01-21-10, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
Hopefully the worst of the storms will have passed by tomorrow (friday) morning so I can move on down towards San Clemente, San Diego then either into the desert regions (my original plan) or down to Mexico (plan B) and come back to SoCal when it gets a bit warmer.

Looks like it'll clear by Sat. good luck tomorrow. Don't think you'll find warm above 60degrees unless the wind stops and you're in the sun.
Old 01-21-10, 08:13 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to California. The weather had been so nice all winter. We haven't had a storm like this in a while. It is really coming down right now

Will be some great conditions for skiing/snowboarding in the local mountains
Old 01-21-10, 08:16 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep in mind it never snows in the city but we have high deserts and they are getting dumped on with snow right now. I have a friend in Apple Valley and know all their schools are closed for a snow day tomorrow
Old 01-21-10, 08:43 PM

Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by imi
Hi people!

I flew into LA on tuesday morning from -20 C sweden...

Set off at first light from LAX, bit chilly and fairly stiff headwind... but no big deal...

A very kind BF member had offered to give me place to stay for the first night in Long Beach and she picked me up when I was getting close...

That afternoon: Storms, tornados, floodings, water spouts, huge waves coming in from the ocean, landslide warnings! Hah!
She has let me stay at her place since then. No way I can ever repay this kindness and hospitality! ><

To get to the desert from San Diego you need to go over the coastal mountains. The snow is now (Thurs night) down to 4000 feet. You might not get through. Next week more storms are on the way. Sorry. Weather this severe is a bit unusual.
Old 01-22-10, 09:00 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Riseabovebb
My brother and I fly into San Francisco a week from today and plan on biking down the coast to Santa Barbara.

Our itinerary plans for 6 days on the bike and two days off. I am REALLY hoping the weather quiets down or the trip could prove to be wet and miserable.

I'm glad i bought the showers pass rain jacket. Looks like i'll need a paddle too!
I read in the paper this morning that Highway 1 is going to be closed for about three weeks to fix storm damage. The closure will be a little north of Ragged Point. You might need to adjust your itinerary. Check with CalTrans.
Old 01-23-10, 04:26 PM

Bikes: Kona Ute, Nishiki 4130, Trek 7000, K2 Mach 1.0, Novara Randonee, Schwinn Loop, K2 Zed 1.0, Schwinn Cream, Torker Boardwalk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Imi- Saturday and Sunday are expected to be nice so hopefully you will be able to forget about the last few days and start to really have fun.