Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

noobie just signed up to say "hi" to all and hopefully to join the tribe very soon

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

noobie just signed up to say "hi" to all and hopefully to join the tribe very soon

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-10, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey folks,
I've been lurking and reading up on this forum for a week or so now. Am looking to re-enter riding in a exercise/recreational fashion after a bit of an absence. Initially I was looking to buy a new bike but "remembered" (lol..happens when they sit in the storage unit for almost a decade) I have a perfectly good bike that I maybe rode a total of a dozen times and hope to make appropriate mods and press it into service as a single-speed.

I like the idea and simplicity of a fixie and hope to arrive there soon, just after I find my groove and work on my energy/stamina but I think it's best to walk before I run.

I have a circa y2k Cannondale M400, I "broomed" off the cobwebs, broke out the 'simple-green' gave her a wipedown and darned if she feels ready to go, checked all the moving parts and it's all tight where it should, smooth where it should and is ready to rock.

Hopefully I'm going to simply make the mods necessary to convert it over to a road worthy single-speed (a 700c wheelset w/ flip-flop hubs for fix and freewheel use), simple sugino crankset, and bb, my pedals already have cages so I'll use them for now. Sram ss chain, surly singulator (just in case), Think I'm also going to go more upright and comfortable until I hit my stride so plan to get riser bars and ergon grips. Oh..and a 16t shimano freewheel (the wheelset I saw has a fixed cog only). Other extraneaous knick-knacks as needed but want to attempt to sensibly manage how much money I pump into it while I get my mental and physical cycle-self tuned up.

I started riding motorcycles so have been away for a spell but have also allowed my once splendid physical condition deteriorate somewhat, now need to stop being a couch-cowboy and get physical again.

Well I dont want to get overly wordy, just saying 'whassup' and hopefully once I get rolling will have much more to contribute. My weeks worth of snooping has given me a wealth of info.
Old 01-24-10, 08:48 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums.
You have a good plan.
See ya on the road soon.

Old 01-25-10, 08:46 AM
Get on your bikes & ride!

Bikes: See signature (it varys day to day)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Isn't the M400 a 26" wheel mountain bike? You will have problems getting the brake pads to line up if you swap to 700c. Just keep the 26" wheels and swap the tires for some more narrow slicks. Cheap SS conversion kit for the rear wheel, shorten the chain remove the shifters and mechs and you are set. Hopefully your shifter and brake levers are not combined. This config will be fine for SS, but making it fixed will be a challange with the vertical dropouts.

Last edited by xB_Nutt; 01-25-10 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-25-10, 09:12 AM
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to the forums.

I find fixed or single speed riding to be some of the most fun I have on a bike. If you need help wit the conversion the BF SS/FG forum can be pretty brutal due to the attitudes in there but as a group they do know quite a bit about conversions.
Old 01-25-10, 02:30 PM

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
M400 = mtb.
Old 01-25-10, 09:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Ryan, I did see a few instances of some righteous types handing down a thorough @$$kicking to a few folks that committed the sin of not being as fully informed as the gods themselves and daring to ask a question or three. Hopefully those types will simply ignore my ignorant questions and go on to spend their time more productively and hopefully there are a few helpful folks here that would be so kind as to help a fella out if they are inclined to do so.

xB_Nutt..your suggestions are noted and appreciated my dropouts are indeed vertical so SS freewheel it'll be! My gears are grip shifts..so I can ditch the whole setup.

The M400 is indeed a mountainbike, I'm no expert on these things but the frame does seem quite light, sturdy and ready to run.
Old 01-25-10, 09:30 PM

Bikes: Langster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Like Ryan said, a lot of people on here can be overbearing or quite rude at times, but that's just people being people. You'll find a ton of help here, I know I asked quite a bit of questions when I was starting up, but I got solid answers from those willing to help and tons of good input and different views on parts, companies, etc... Fixed gears are amazing and I hope your conversion goes smoothly and you can get out and enjoy your bike asap!
Old 01-26-10, 06:52 AM
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For some reason I thought this was posted in General and not SS/FG; that explains my weird grammar in my previous post. Sorry about that.

Anyway, we need some pictures of the before, during and after.
Old 01-26-10, 07:17 AM

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HandsomeRyan
For some reason I thought this was posted in General and not SS/FG; that explains my weird grammar in my previous post. Sorry about that.

Anyway, we need some pictures of the before, during and after.
Knob.
Old 01-27-10, 03:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be sure to get pics up soon. I ordered some parts, I have to admit to going a bit crazy on an item or two so ended up spending a couple hundred bucks. Will have before, during and after pics shortly.