Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Newbie from Kansas!!!!!

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Newbie from Kansas!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-10, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie from Kansas!!!!!

Hello everyone. I've been lurking for a couple of days, and before I make a post I thought I'd introduce myself. I am currently a senior in MFG engineering at Pitt State. I am also a light sport pilot, and do some small competition BBQ smoking events too!

I've been riding Mt. bikes for roughly a year now. First started off on a super cheap mongoose, and after 2 rides down the trails I decided to get a 09 Specialized Hardrock w/ disc brakes. I rode it almost everyday during the summer until I ran across a Gary Fisher Piranha and fell in love with it at first ride, luckily I bought it towards the end of October and got it on clearance, saved about $200. And of course I haven't been able to ride it much during this winter.

Anyways, I am looking to get into road biking, but right now I am still overweight and out of shape, so I've been kind of looking for a flat bar road bike that I can also commute with, along with fun riding, and my goal is to do the local century race(the 56mile part) in the fall. I was just wanting to know everyone's thoughts on the Specialized Sirrus, or should I just go strait to road bikes?

The way I see it is that I build my strength with the Sirrus(which from what I hear is still fairly fast) save some money(remember I'm still in college) and get a nice road bike in a couple of years. Because it basically comes down to the Sirrus vs a Trek 1.1 or a Motobecane. Also I live in SE Kansas where there is only 3 LBS within 60miles, and the used market is extremely sparse.

As soon as the snow melts and it gets above 40*F I'm going to be hitting up all the local LBS.

And thanks for listening to me rumble.
-Coolpick87

Last edited by Coolpick87; 02-02-10 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-02-10, 04:09 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums.
I just got in from 60 miles in the rain.

Go straight to a road bike.
Thanks for joining.

Old 02-25-10, 08:02 AM

Bikes: 16 year old Mongoose Hilltopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go Gorillas!
The wife and I graduated from PSU in 93 (nursing). There are some pretty nice rides around Pittsburg. We would ride up to Girard on the weekends.
We did the Gorilla century this past labor day. That was a really good ride.
I did the century on my 16 year old Mongoose but I've swapped out the tires and changed the handlebars for trekking bars.

My advice (for what it's worth) is ride what you have and keep your eyes peeled for a good used road bike. If you can ever make it up to Lawrence, there is a good used bike shop called The Recycle-ry. They also carry new bikes but they have a huge selection of used.
My wife bought a road bike from Performance bike and she's very pleased with it. I know people here will tell you to stay away from Bikes Direct but they do carry inexpensive bikes.
I always try to support the LBS but we live in Hutch and there is only 1. I buy what I can from them but some things I pick up on line.
Old 02-27-10, 08:27 AM
Cycler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree, go with the road bike! The easier riding from the lesser road resistance will make it much more enjoyable and you'll end up putting in more miles as a result. Welcome to the forum!