Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Hit my goal weight, but forever a clyde.

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-10, 02:09 PM
Subjectively Insane

Bikes: '09 Rodriguez Adventurer Custom, '08 Trek 7.3Fx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, just about a year and a half ago I was 280lbs, and a sloth in every way, shape, and form.
Being 6'8" and overweight was hell on my body, I couldn't stand long, since blood would pool in my legs and cause pain.

I decided I needed a change. Started eating better, and lost 15lbs. Visited a LBS a month after I started dieting, and was told I was SOL on a bike that fit. But, they'd do their best. Came home with a new bike that day, road about 1/2 a mile and had to give up.

Now I'm at 220lbs, just about ideal for me, maybe a few pounds heavier than "normal" but I've got a large frame.
To be honest I never road a LOT, one or two 20-30 mile trips a week, with commuting and short family rides the rest of the time. Diet got me where I am more than anything.

I've gone car free since then, and do anything that needs done via bike or taxi if needed.

I'm currently going through one of the tougher times in my life, so I felt inclined to cheer myself up by congratulating myself.

Next goal? Quit smoking and do a cross country tour this year. Weight loss is a breeze compared to kicking nicotine though.
Old 02-04-10, 03:15 PM

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Way to go. Dropping 60 lbs is a good start to a new life. Good luck!

I too hit my goal weight. And, like you, I am forever a Clyde.

The way I see it, at 185 lbs (that's 5 lbs under my goal weight), I only have about 15 pounds of cushion to play with before falling back into the club. And, as any Clyde can easily attest, when it comes to weight gain, 15 lbs aint squat.

BTW: I quit smoking cigs back in 2007, after almost 30 years on them. I have not once looked back and, over the past year, I lost all the weight I gained from the day I quit.

As a motivator, this is what I do for lunch these days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKoP5dVijY8
Old 02-04-10, 03:26 PM

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
congrats to both of you and congrats potato on your new lifestyle.

my highest weight was 280 and im down to about 180-185 right now. altho im not a clyde, i know how much better dropping weight like that feels. enjoy your new life
Old 02-04-10, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At 6'2" and 185lbs, I'm a clyde by volume, if not by weight.
I started at 225lbs about a year and a half maybe two years ago.

I'm working to get down to 175 to help with climbing, but these last 10 lbs are proving tough.
I quit smoking in the spring of 2000.....probably the toughest thing I've ever done.

Your metabolism will change and you will gain weight.
but everything will right itself in about a year and you will have a tremendous reserve of energy and wind.

Your results will be dramatic.....mine were.

Congrats!

Cyril
Old 02-04-10, 05:22 PM
(O)ld (D)og (N)ew (T)rick

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Novara GT MTB, RANS Rocket rebumbent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations Potato and the others. It is amazing what a change like that can make. It's so much more than just the physical side of things that changes, even though that's the primary focus. The self confindence and feeling of well being is even more important in my oppinion. I'm 6'6" and at my peak, some 2-1/2 years ago, I was 320 lbs. I was 65 at the time. After going to the doctor for a yearly physical to get my BP med presciption renewed (yup I'd had high BP for the past several years) and finding my cholesterol off the scale and my triglycerides in the pre diabetic range, my doctor said, "Do something or die in the next year or so". I decided to do something. The alternative wasn't too appealing. I didn't diet per se, but I did "change my diet". I cut out almost all bread and pastries and cut back my red meat from almost everyday to once or twice a month. My weight started to drop and so did my cholesterol and triglycerides. After about 6 months I also began to work out at a local gym and quit smoking. My cholesterol was down to normal as were the triglycerides. I had lost 60 lbs and I was able to come off all of the meds which in addition to the BP stuff, included a statin for the cholesterol. I felt and looked better than I had in 20 years. Then all the years of neglect came back to roost and I suffered a mild heart attack and sure enough, the plaque build up over the years had created a blockage in a major vessle in my heart. Stints were placed (facinating process that I got to watch being done to me by the way) and I shortly resummed my quest. That's about the point where I took up bicycling seriously. I'd been dabbling with an old moutain bike I had in the garage but felt bad when I couldn't keep up with some of my friends that were 25 years my junior who were on road bikes. I bought a Specialized Roubaix and it has now become one of the central focus's of my life. My goal is to get to 225 by the time July roles around and I compete in the (S)eattle (T)o (P)ortland ride, which for me this year will consist of 2 back to back century rides. Maybe next year I'll be ready to do it in one day. I haven't committed to that at this point, but it's certainly in the realm of "possible" in my mind. I'll be 68 then and will be damn proud if I pull it off. So keep up the good work boys and girls. So... I'm 40 again and I'll kick the crap out of anybody that tries to tell me differently. Miracles just take a little more time and effort.

Last edited by Sharkey75; 02-04-10 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-04-10, 05:48 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Wow, purty darn good!
Old 02-04-10, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MilitantPotato
Well, just about a year and a half ago I was 280lbs, and a sloth in every way, shape, and form.
Being 6'8" and overweight was hell on my body, I couldn't stand long, since blood would pool in my legs and cause pain.

I decided I needed a change. Started eating better, and lost 15lbs. Visited a LBS a month after I started dieting, and was told I was SOL on a bike that fit. But, they'd do their best. Came home with a new bike that day, road about 1/2 a mile and had to give up.

Now I'm at 220lbs, just about ideal for me, maybe a few pounds heavier than "normal" but I've got a large frame.
To be honest I never road a LOT, one or two 20-30 mile trips a week, with commuting and short family rides the rest of the time. Diet got me where I am more than anything.

I've gone car free since then, and do anything that needs done via bike or taxi if needed.

I'm currently going through one of the tougher times in my life, so I felt inclined to cheer myself up by congratulating myself.

Next goal? Quit smoking and do a cross country tour this year. Weight loss is a breeze compared to kicking nicotine though.
Well done. Whatever crap you've got going on, doing this is an accomplishment that you can be proud of and own forever....

6'8" / 220#!!?!?!? sounds good and lean!!! Ride on.

Last edited by Herbie53; 02-04-10 at 08:35 PM.