Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What do you do with your sweaty stuff

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-10, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all,

I'm looking at commuting (I know I can, I know I can). But the distances and current temperatures require a shower and change of clothes at work, which isn't a problem in itself, the question is what to do with the sweaty clothes.

I don't want to scrunch them up in a ball and hide away in a locker or drawer because they won't dry and will smell pretty bad, not to mention being unsanitary. And I would probably want to wear them on the ride back home.

But then again I don't want to hang them out somewhere for all the office world to see. And I do work in a shared office, and my sweaty chamois probably isn't the sort of thing worthy of sharing.

Any ideas?
Old 02-06-10, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you have an electric hand dryer at work?
Old 02-06-10, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I leave them on my bag to dry under my desk.
Old 02-06-10, 09:58 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I hang my stuff I put my jersey in front of the shorts so they are not out for all to see. I also used to put everything on top of my bag as daven1986 said. Both work well for me.
Old 02-06-10, 10:05 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Another alternative ---- carry an extra set for the ride home, clean.

What I do with my dirty cycle clothes, until I get enuf to wash, is throw them in a cat litter bucket - one of them square plastic thingys, with a cover that snaps tight. Works well, and I never know they are there.

But, then again, I just hate to put dirty cycle clothes on a second time..... I'd rather buy more cheap cycle shorts, and cheap wicking shirts. Then, save the good clothes for longer weekend rides.
Old 02-06-10, 10:16 AM

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite (2011); Trek 520 (2006); Specialized Globe (2005); Lemond Zurich (2003)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is not necessary to shower at work.
Old 02-06-10, 10:27 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
Another alternative ---- carry an extra set for the ride home, clean.

What I do with my dirty cycle clothes, until I get enuf to wash, is throw them in a cat litter bucket - one of them square plastic thingys, with a cover that snaps tight. Works well, and I never know they are there.

But, then again, I just hate to put dirty cycle clothes on a second time..... I'd rather buy more cheap cycle shorts, and cheap wicking shirts. Then, save the good clothes for longer weekend rides.
Seems like too much stuff to carry for me as I already have to carry my work clothes. I don't mind putting on dirty clothes as I ride to work in the morning before my shower and shower at work. On the way back I have a shower at home.
Old 02-06-10, 10:29 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I put it in a plastic bag, then put it in my bag. When I get home, I throw it in the dirty clothes basket.

Last edited by augustao; 02-06-10 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-06-10, 05:59 PM

Bikes: Trek 1200, Kona Honky Inc, PX Stealth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hang the shorts and shirt on hangers in a locker. The pants and booties get wiped dry and tossed into the bottom of the locker. The jacket goes down to my desk with me and hangs on a hanger.
Old 02-06-10, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I suggest you hang dry them. You can also spray them with Fabreze or some other such product if they smell sweaty.
Old 02-06-10, 11:04 PM

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I hang them under my desk -- made a drying rack out of old stainless spokes in a size I don't need any more (extra long spokes for 4x 27" touring wheels). Keep a small fan under the desk circulating air, everything gets dry before lunch, even in the rainiest Seattle weather.
Old 02-07-10, 02:30 PM

Bikes: 1999 Giant TCR 2T 2009 Giant Cypress DX 2015 Giant Anyroad 1

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a rack that fits over the top of my office door. I hang the wet bike clothes on the rack and they're dry by the end of the day.
Old 02-07-10, 02:34 PM
Alfredo Contador

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes I hang by windblocker jacket over my bike. The nasty smell deters people to venture any closer. hahahahha. In terms of clothes.... well I think they are overrated.
Old 02-07-10, 03:52 PM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jagged
Sez you. It depends on your coworkers. If I shower before riding, and don't shower at work, I still get complaints. Besides, it's actually more convenient for me to shower at work; I get up at 5AM and if I showered then, I'd wake up the rest of the house. When I get to work at 6AM, there's nobody there and I can shower in peace.

OP: we have lockers and I dump my stuff in there. I used to hang them up in my office to dry, but I ****REALLY**** got complaints then. Heck, it even gagged me sometimes.

I really need to buy some wool, I just need to get over the $$ PRICE $$. I've been wearing the same alertshirts for 4 years now, I paid $8 each for them and they're as new, but that poly does stink when sweaty. None of the thrift shops around here EVER have any wool when I go check. It's all cotton and acrylic. You guys who are finding merino wool in the thrift shops all the time must have rich folks living in your area to even have that stuff in the first place, let alone giving it to thrift shops.

When I get home, I seal my dirty stuff in an old cat litter bucket until I have a laundry load, then I don my breathing mask while I decant the smelly mass into the clothes washer. When I used to just put the clothes in the open in the bathroom it smelled like a troll's gym sock in there, and stunk up half the rest of the house.
Old 02-07-10, 05:36 PM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I shower at work and then hang my bibs and jersey, socks and helmet liner on hangers from the curtain rod. Even if I get rained on for all 15 miles of my incoming commute, I can have my stuff dry for the return trip (even if it's just going to get drenched in 2 minutes again.)
My gloves and shoe covers get draped over my bike to dry out.
Old 02-07-10, 05:38 PM
Not safe for work

Bikes: KHS Town and Country 100 & Jamis Durango Femme 1.0

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
When I wasn't working from home, my workplace had lockers and showers. I'd hang up my cycling clothes in my locked but anything really wet I'd put on a hanger and hang it off the locker door.

I also put my dirty, sweaty cyling clothes in a sealable bucket but I add water and a scoop of washing soda. That way the clothes can pre-soak before I do the laundry. It helps keep the sweat from completely stinking up my shorts and jerseys bit also means I don't have to open up what smells like a bucket full of biohazard. Really? An enclosed bucket full of grimy clothes marinating in sweat. YUCK! Try the washing soda and water. Please.
Old 02-07-10, 05:43 PM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Luckily. I had a 12 hour shift. It was enough time to rinse out the stink.. Place them near a heat duct and they amazingly would be dry in time to go home.. It helped that downstairs away from the work area, I had a space to shower, rinse out my clothes and let them dry near a ventilation vent..

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 02-07-10, 06:28 PM
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jagged
+1. If you shower at home and have relatively clean clothes, this shouldn't be an isssue

Originally Posted by ARider2
I suggest you hang dry them. You can also spray them with Fabreze or some other such product if they smell sweaty.
+1. When in doubt, febreze!
Old 02-07-10, 06:28 PM
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've become a big believer in wool. I wear as much wool as possible and I'm gonna get thin merino wool shirts for summer too. I can hang them anywhere, behind a desk, or whenever and they don't smell and are dry by the end of the day. The cycling stuff stinks horribly after one drying, my wool stuff doesn't smell after 5 days if sweating and drying.

Think of closed, hidden places that have high airflow or are warm: boiler rooms, computer rooms, etc. Maybe you can let someone hang your stuff in there? You can hang your clothes on the back of a computer or monitor, back of fax machine, etc. so it's hidden but getting some airflow and heat.

Adam
Old 02-07-10, 06:30 PM

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
+1. If you shower at home and have relatively clean clothes, this shouldn't be an isssue
If you sweat like a Wookiee on a 15 mile commute you use as sprint training, no amount of clean clothes and Febreeze will save you.
Trust me. I know these things.
Old 02-07-10, 06:51 PM

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Ruby Pro aka "Rhubarb" / and a backup road bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
It's not just the sweat, it's the plastered on dead bugs and dust mixed with sweat salt and road grit ...

Some of my office sites had no showers but I made do quite well with a bucket, liquid soap and washrags in a bathroom handicap stall. It takes no longer than a shower and while not as luxurious, you can get completely clean.

The clothes - I either hang them up to dry "as is" or sink-wash them and then hang to dry. Block the view of the shorts with the jersey and your microfiber towel if need be but make sure air can circulate. If you can point a small fan at them all the better. Often I wear a simple mesh T that dries faster than a bike jersey w/ pockets.
Old 02-08-10, 08:54 AM
down in the drops

Bikes: Miele Doral, Bianchi Boardwalk, Cannondale R300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I really need to buy some wool, I just need to get over the $$ PRICE $$.
poly does stink when sweaty.
Verily. Now that we’ve nearly survived another winter, wait till shops are dumping old inventory. I got two long-sleeved SmartWool base layers for $25 each last March…*they are at least two orders of magnitude better than any of my wicking shirts in terms of odor, to say nothing of thermal concerns.
Old 02-08-10, 10:13 AM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Over the shower rod. The way our shower is, there is a rod at the entrance to a little cubbyhole that has the shower. I hang my towel over that rod, and it hides the clothes hanging inside.
Old 02-08-10, 11:40 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Sez you. It depends on your coworkers. If I shower before riding, and don't shower at work, I still get complaints.
I think it depends more on YOU. Even when my commute was 25+ miles each way, my smell was never an issue at work. It doesn't take much to clean yourself up without a shower available. Of course some people just smell purdy naturally and some don't.

The main issue I have run into with co-workers and odors come from the clothes themselves. Finding a secure place to let them hang where they don't offend someone's olfactory senses can be a challenge. Currently my only choice is to hang them on the back of my office door, which is why I keep a can of febreze handy.

I've often let them hang in the same men's room where I clean up and change too...security was never a problem for me, luckily, YMMV.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 02-08-10, 11:44 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
If you sweat like a Wookiee on a 15 mile commute you use as sprint training, no amount of clean clothes and Febreeze will save you.
Trust me. I know these things.
But a sink, a bit of soap, deodorant, washcloth and towel will save you.
Trust me, I know these things.

I can't speak for the clothing you wore on the ride tho...sometimes even Febreeze or a bonfire can't help.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.