Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Silent and waterproof?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Silent and waterproof?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-10, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Silent and waterproof?

Are any of the hub motors silent and waterproof? Can they do regenerative braking?
Old 02-09-10, 06:43 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BIG-E
Are any of the hub motors silent and waterproof? Can they do regenerative braking?
There are no hub motors that are completely silent (just watch some you tube videos). They all make noise on acceleration. Some are less noisy than others. You'll need to ensure that your connections are waterproof (don't rely on it being waterproof as shipped from the factory, inspect, inspect, inspect), fortunately, it's easy to do. Regen braking is available on a number of kits. However, don't expect to regenerate a lot of power, it's more of a marketing tool than something that really extends your battery's range. You might be better off paying a little less for a kit without it and investing that money towards a battery with as much power as you can afford (LIFEPO4 is probably what you want, but be prepared for sticker shock.) Good luck.
Old 02-09-10, 08:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the hub motors that I have experienced in real life, most of them are very quiet. I've experienced crystalytes motors, nine continent, and Forsen hub motors. My crystalyte motor is so quiet that the squirrels don't even hear me coming.

As far as waterproof, I don't know which ones are waterproof. I think maybe the Ezee and the Bionx are the most waterproof out of the box. I've heard that there are ways of doing it yourself, though. Others have said that they take them out in the rain and they don't break even though they aren't waterproof. I never take mine out in the rain so I can't say if crystalyte ones are waterproof or not.

Let me just say that if you are listening to them from a youtube video, the microphone of the camera seems to magnify the sound so it makes them seem louder than they are.
Old 02-10-10, 06:59 AM
Lost? No, seeing America.

Bikes: '02 Fuji Finest AL, '97 Trek Multitrack 730, Amped kit rear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't hear my motor over the sound of pavement, except when doing hard acceleration. I believe there is video of running an Amped motor under water on their website. I have no trouble running mine in all weather (except the custodians don't like cleaning the floors after me when I come in on a very slushy day).
Old 02-10-10, 09:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are there certain types of motors that are quieter than others?
Old 02-10-10, 01:12 PM

Bikes: Some

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brushless hub is the quietest but not totally silent. It has the most amount of drag resistance however because it doesn't freewheel. Will provide for regen but as the other posted indicated you will not get much benefit as far as restoring power but is a feature that will help to slow the bike down reducing wear and tear on your bikes brakes. A caveat here is that some hub motors apply way too much regen and it is good to have this option variable.

Brushless geared less so because of the gears. Does freewheel, no regen.

Brushless chain also less because of the chain. Freewheels only if supplied with a freewheeling mechanism built in to the drive. No regen.

Efficiency/effectiveness for your needs is really the key thing you should consider.

Hope this helps. I was born in VT and I can only imagine you want the quietest system to sneak up on game?
Old 02-10-10, 01:23 PM
Jerry the Spinner

Bikes: Montague with Currie 450W kit, IZIP Twist and Go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Currie 450W kit on my Montague bike and BionX on my Trek FX+. The BionX is definitely much quieter then Currie Motor. In regards to weather on Currie web site it sates the motor should not be ridden in rainy weather. I personally have ridden in heavy rain and have not had a problem. In regards to BionX their web site says the BionX kit can be ridden in rain.

There also is an issue of weight. Currie kit with 2 batteries and Motor will add around 50 pounds. The BionX kit will add 16.6 pounds.

One last point On Currie web site it says the battery should not be used in temperatures under 50 degrees. On the BionX kit website it says should not be used under 14 degrees.
Old 02-19-10, 08:11 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Norco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tidal Force, now called E+

All forgot about legendary TF .
It is completely silent even under hard acceleration - zero noise from motor.
All you hear are tires.
Made in USA means quality. I got 15 000km on mine, quite resistant to watyer penetration , depends what you mean by water -proof.
Certainly TF will take the pouring rain with no droplet allowed into the motor , i checked it, took motor apart, no speck of rust inside.
E+ is decendent of TF.
MC
Old 02-19-10, 08:18 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Norco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no matter what you say , beauty of ebike is a silence of opration.
Bike path are used mostly by regular bikes, means silence
Any noise of motor or motor gears is giveaway that ....
MC
Old 02-22-10, 09:27 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife and I have BionX motors which are completely silent. There's a slight vibration under high assist at around 16.5 MPH but it's more of a whole frame shudder and doesn't make much noise. At level 1 or 2 it's completely silent.

The motor is also some what weather proof, but after just one winter both systems have begun glitching. Although we live near an ocean, and they use a LOT of salt here, which may have something to do with it.