Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Is this the right controller?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-10, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hay guys,

I am about to purchase this motor
https://tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=106145
which i think has a max draw of approx. 64 amps and continues of 21.3. The controller i have picked for it is the Kelly KDS36100, which is 100 amps peak and 40 amps continues. does this seem to be the right controller for the job? In conversation with the Kelly company they informed me that when the controller is first turned on it will draw 100 amps, would this then potentially damage my motor? also, does this mean that the minimum power the controller can supply to my motor is 40 amps?

Thanks,

Currynut
Old 02-12-10, 05:33 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No. I don't think so. If you pull up the motor, it will show you on the side which controllers go with it. It makes it real easy.

Also, if get a controller that does 40 amps, well, you are limiting what kind of Lifepo4 battery you can get. I'd find a controller that outputs max 30 amps if I were you, that way you can get almost any lifepo4 that you want later. Because you'll eventually want lithium battery for it.

Most of the 30 amp controllers are in the 36v motor style. There is one 48v 30 amp controller and that uses a 750w motor. Actually, since this is chain driven, 36v might be enough to go pretty fast.

Also, if you do get a 40 amp controller, you can get a cycle analyst to limit the max amps so there is always an option if you do get a controller that uses a lot of amps but that's an extra $150 for the cycle analyst.

The one you have picked out has 3 optional controllers....two of them are
36v YK42-3 Yi-Yun Brand Controller
and
36v Model YK40-3 Yi-Yun

Why not just make it easy on yourself and get a hub motor? They are so much easier to put together?
Old 02-12-10, 05:41 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The controller you have selected may work. I have no idea but the ones I showed you would definitely work for it.

Anyway, what is it that you want to do? If you want to build a very fast bike with chain motor, why not get an etek motor? I think they are more expensive but they are used on motorcycles. There are lots of guys doing what you are doing on this forum so if you want better help go here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=28
Old 02-12-10, 12:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Morph,

Thanks for your reply, and props on knowing my other thread and thus knowing i am making it chain drive. I was originally going to go one of those controllers but the max output of the motor is above the max output of those controllers. So wouldn't this then damage and possible melt the controller? The controller comes with free software which lets you limit the controller max voltage, current, amps and so forth, but why would you want to limit the max amp draw? this would save power but would also limit max power/speed. I thought you where meant to always go with a controller that could handle up to roughly 3 times your motors continues runnings. Please correct me if i am mistaken.

Currynut
Old 02-12-10, 01:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From my understanding, the 600 watt motor will put out a continues current of 21.3 amps so i assume a max of around 63 amps. From looking the 36 volt controllers you offer max out at 40 amps. Wouldn't this then mean if the motor went to draw its max amps it would either melt/destroy the controller of be limited to the controllers max? any light you could shed would be appreciated.
Old 02-12-10, 05:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, I didn't know that there was software to adjust the max amps. I would get a controller that has an adjustable amp range from 30 to 100 or whatever because most lifepo4 can not handle amps over 40 amps so it would nice to program in a max amp of 30. My controller has a max amp of 35 and it works fine and is enough torque for me. My bike goes 28 mph on 36v. It will go about 35 mph at 48v and that's with 35 amp controller. It's a hub motor, though.

Anyway, if you position yourself so that you can only use 40 amps or more, you severly limit the kind of battery that you can get. Most lifepo4 batteries are 2C or under which means if they are 10AH capacity, then the max continuous it can use is 20 amps. So you'd need at least 20AH capacity or more to use it on your bike if you choose 40 amp max draw or you'd have to go with SLA batteries (not a fan of those).

Why would you want to limit the max amp draw? So you won't fry your batteries. So that you can use your scooter/e-bike over and over with those batteries. If you are going to have a max amp draw of anything over 40 amp, you'll need more expensive or bigger capacity batteries (which are more expensive) .

Here is how the batteries break down
lifepo4 = usually 2C ( so max amp draw on a 10AH would be 20amps)
SLA = usually max amps is about 200 so no problem there with those kind of batteries
LIPO = anywhere from 15C to 40C so no problem with these but using them at those kind of high C draws will lower the life of the battery and also cause potential fire

Why not get one of the 1000 watt motors with a 48v controller? LIke this
https://tncscooters.com/product.php?sku=106175
(you can see the LB37 controller is an option with this motor)

with LB37 48v controller ...has 10 - 50 amp max output.
https://www.tncscooters.com/LB37.php

I'm not familiar with building an e-bike like this so I'm suggesting you go with the suggestions on the tnc scooter website. If you want more information on Kelly controllers, endless-shere.com forum knows about them.
Old 02-12-10, 05:11 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Currynut
From looking the 36 volt controllers you offer max out at 40 amps. Wouldn't this then mean if the motor went to draw its max amps it would either melt/destroy the controller of be limited to the controllers max? any light you could shed would be appreciated.
No, because the controllers that I gave you were recommended by TNC scooter website so they are compatible. If you go on the TNC scooter website and pull up any motor, it will give you suggestions on the right side as to what controllers and throttle to use.
Old 02-13-10, 02:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mmm, i am not shore what to do. I unfortunately cant go the 1000 watt motor because of silly legal restrictions where i live. with a 600 watt motor i am worried about insufficient talk so would like to maximize it but i don't want to sacrifice battery life, it is silly to give the motor 40 amps when all it needs is 20. I will be using 3 12v 17 ah agm(sla) batts btw. I am thinking you may have swayed me and at first i will go a smaller controller and then mby get the kelly later if the first melts or just does not have enough talk.