Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Bontrager Rear Racks?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Bontrager Rear Racks?

Old 02-14-10, 09:17 AM
Retro Prairie Girl

Bikes: 78 Raleigh DL-1,Pashley Princess Sovereign,Specialized Globe City 7.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Bontrager Rear Racks?

I'm getting ready to buy new bags for my hybrid but they are bontrager's and it looks like their locking mechanism only works with their brand rear racks. They can be ordered directly through Bontrager but they don't ship outside of the U.S.

Its kinda funny but my LBS where I'm getting the bags doesn't sell their racks. Does anyone have a mail order source that ships to Canada and some solution where I could use the bags anyways with the rear rack I have now on my bike.

TIA
Fiona
Old 02-14-10, 01:33 PM

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you tried fitting the bags to a non-Bontrager rack? I find it hard to imagine selling their bags and not the matching rack if they use a proprietary fitment system... Which Bontrager bags are you looking at? Have you asked the LBS about this?
Old 02-14-10, 02:22 PM
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is the bag I'm interested in https://bontrager.com/model/08102 I'll call the LBS on Tuesday as they are closed today and tomorrow (holiday tomorrow here in Alberta) but they didn't have any of the Bontrager racks on their site. They really don't look much different then the one I already have on my bike so I'm kinda hoping I can do some kind of hack.

Just trying to get all my ducks lined up before I get overly excited about the bags
Old 02-14-10, 02:49 PM

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dr. Dew, Moose Bicycle XXL (fat bike), Yuba Mundo V3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've seen Interchange system bags and racks. Basically, instead of using straps and hooks to attach, they use thick plastic tabs on the bags that are spring-loaded and latch into slots on the rack. I haven't used it myself, but it seems like a fairly ingenious way of making easily-removed bags.

The catch is that the Interchange bags only work with Interchange racks (though Interchange racks will work with any bag). Someone with enough time and ingenuity could probably hack together adapters of some kind for regular racks, but it's probably not worth the effort. Correction: At least some Interchange bags include velcro straps or whatever to allow them to work with non-Interchange racks. Check the specific bags before you buy them.

Also, Interchange isn't a Bontrager thing. It's a Trek thing. In theory, other companies make bags and racks that use the Interchange system, but I don't know how common that is.

Hmm, maybe I'll get an Interchange rack for my new Dr Fine....

Last edited by Arcanum; 02-14-10 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-14-10, 03:01 PM
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for letting me know. I'll double check when I go down to the LBS this week. Hopefully I'll get it all sorted out without having to get different bags
Old 02-14-10, 03:23 PM
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are there other interchange racks I should look into that could work??

Originally Posted by Arcanum
I've seen Interchange system bags and racks. Basically, instead of using straps and hooks to attach, they use thick plastic tabs on the bags that are spring-loaded and latch into slots on the rack. I haven't used it myself, but it seems like a fairly ingenious way of making easily-removed bags.

The catch is that the Interchange bags only work with Interchange racks (though Interchange racks will work with any bag). Someone with enough time and ingenuity could probably hack together adapters of some kind for regular racks, but it's probably not worth the effort. Correction: At least some Interchange bags include velcro straps or whatever to allow them to work with non-Interchange racks. Check the specific bags before you buy them.

Also, Interchange isn't a Bontrager thing. It's a Trek thing. In theory, other companies make bags and racks that use the Interchange system, but I don't know how common that is.

Hmm, maybe I'll get an Interchange rack for my new Dr Fine....
Old 02-14-10, 03:43 PM

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dr. Dew, Moose Bicycle XXL (fat bike), Yuba Mundo V3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That I don't know.
Old 02-14-10, 07:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terraskye
I'm getting ready to buy new bags for my hybrid but they are bontrager's and it looks like their locking mechanism only works with their brand rear racks. They can be ordered directly through Bontrager but they don't ship outside of the U.S.

Its kinda funny but my LBS where I'm getting the bags doesn't sell their racks. Does anyone have a mail order source that ships to Canada and some solution where I could use the bags anyways with the rear rack I have now on my bike.

TIA
Fiona
Any particular reason why the rear rack and bag must be Bontrager?

I own 3 Trek bikes and a Raleigh. When I purchased the Trek Mulitrack I bought a Trek rack and back. One of the racks that clamps to the seat post. The bag had a plasyic tab on the front and a plastic latch on the back that matched the rack. My problem was that the bag had a very limited carrying capacity. On long rides we sometimes shop along the way. I checked Topeak bags and racks. Ended up buying two Topeak racks and bags. One for my bike and one for the wife. I bought the bags and racks with the dovetail set up. Catch on the front of the bag. Big roomy side panner bags. We have used then several years now with no problems. On rides of 30 miles or more I stick extra drink bottles in the side bags. Top bag has tools, medical kits, spare tubes, etc. I have carried six-packs of beer, bread and cobalt blue glass we found in shops on our rides.

I have gotten away from Bontrager branded items. Quality is not there for the money they want. Sometimes their overall design leaves much to be desired.

Before you lay out the cash for a Bontrager rack and bag look around at what else is out there.
Old 02-14-10, 07:54 PM
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the reply. ..I've been looking around alot for bags/panniers and it is a toss up between the Bontrager ones and some by Basil but the Bontragers have more cubic feet and plus everything else I was looking for in a pannier.

I will look at the Topeak ones though.

P.S. I've been looking for almost a year for the "perfect" bags for me and I'm started to get a bit aggravated I dont want to pay more than 125#CDN for two and they must have either a shoulder strap of some kind of some kind of handles and good capacity for rides to the grocery store, farmers market and yarn buying expeditions

Thanks
Fi
Originally Posted by Whiteknight
Any particular reason why the rear rack and bag must be Bontrager?

I own 3 Trek bikes and a Raleigh. When I purchased the Trek Mulitrack I bought a Trek rack and back. One of the racks that clamps to the seat post. The bag had a plasyic tab on the front and a plastic latch on the back that matched the rack. My problem was that the bag had a very limited carrying capacity. On long rides we sometimes shop along the way. I checked Topeak bags and racks. Ended up buying two Topeak racks and bags. One for my bike and one for the wife. I bought the bags and racks with the dovetail set up. Catch on the front of the bag. Big roomy side panner bags. We have used then several years now with no problems. On rides of 30 miles or more I stick extra drink bottles in the side bags. Top bag has tools, medical kits, spare tubes, etc. I have carried six-packs of beer, bread and cobalt blue glass we found in shops on our rides.

I have gotten away from Bontrager branded items. Quality is not there for the money they want. Sometimes their overall design leaves much to be desired.

Before you lay out the cash for a Bontrager rack and bag look around at what else is out there.

Last edited by terraskye; 02-14-10 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-16-10, 06:43 AM
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I use the Trek Interchange panniers with a Topeak Explorer rack just fine. And no quality issues with the panniers. Love the built in rain covers for them
Old 02-16-10, 07:58 AM
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CCrew
I use the Trek Interchange panniers with a Topeak Explorer rack just fine. And no quality issues with the panniers. Love the built in rain covers for them
Thank you!!! I think the Topeak rack is totally obtainable for me