Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

I'm a sucker for Suntour (and pink/teal color schemes).

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-10, 01:29 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Found this sad old Hard Rock that had been abandoned in somebody's barn. It was missing the left side crank arm and was covered in crud and some surface rust. I probably should have left it there to rot but I'm a sucker for Suntour so I dragged it home.

Found a matching crank arm and some spare tires lying around, and after some new grease, a few rags, a few hours and Pedros Bike Lust I have a fun new toy.

It is actually a pretty nice little bike. Alloy wheels with Sansin hubs, forged dropouts, chromo frame, Suntour Accushift XCD 4050 deraillerus and thumb shifters. The color is so terribly early 90's that it's growing on me.

Only issue is that I can't get the rear brake functioning properly, anybody have any experience with this style brake?
Old 02-14-10, 01:54 PM

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
We have had three different Hardrocks from the 90s, still have two, and they all have the canti brakes located in the conventional position. That low position can't be right, can it? It looks like an accident waiting to happen on any bike, esp an MTB. The HRs we've had have had low-end Shimano brakes, Altus or whatever, sometimes with plastic parts that are guaranteed to break. There are lots of cheap substitutes out there.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 02-14-10, 02:00 PM
I got 99 projects

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The U-Brake you have can only be replaced with another U-Brake because the reach is different than canti's. There were some boutique high performance brakes that will fit but we're talking big money. What is it about the brake that isn't working? Maybe you just need new pads.
Old 02-14-10, 02:05 PM
Wherever I may roam....

Bikes: A few bikes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up the girls version of the same bike. The rear brakes are mounted in the same location. If you need any parts for yours, let me know. When I picked the bike up, I wanted to go out and buy a pair of Zubaz pants. I think thats what they are called....
Old 02-14-10, 02:09 PM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,491 Posts
that is a U brake on the chainstays not Cantis. it was not the best place to put a brake but that is where they put them for a few years and make this bike a late '80 I would say. great colors I like that teal and pink too! fabulous job on the cleanup.

as for the rear brake the Us were a bit tricky. your is a Dia Compe yes? IIRC you tension the return springs by loosening the allen bolt in the middle of the "boss" and use a wrench to turn the thing that looks like a big nut to tension the spring then tighten the allen bolt while holding the 'nut'. yes they can be tricky, the shimano was a bit better. I'll try and post some better Ubrake pics later
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC05282.jpg (92.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC05286.jpg (98.2 KB, 26 views)

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 02-14-10, 04:10 PM
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
are those 24" wheels or am I just so used to looking at road wheels anything smaller than 700C seems "junior"?
Old 02-14-10, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Just about all mountain bikes had the chainstay brake in 1986-1988. It was a bad idea, but they all went along with it, even Bridgestone. You can mount either a U-brake or a Suntour roller cam brake on those studs. I experimented and found that a Campagnolo Euclid U-brake worked best for me. The studs are in the wrong place and are the wrong type for cantis.
Old 02-14-10, 04:46 PM

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
Wow, I had no idea (obviously) about the chainstay-mounted rear brake. What a wacky idea.

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 02-14-10, 05:24 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
The rod brakes of English roadsters and Dutch city bikes are mounted on the chain stays.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 02-14-10, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
gotta get that dork disk off though, but its still cool
Old 02-14-10, 09:08 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Bedford, IF, Hampsten, DeSalvo, Intense Carbine 27.5, Raleigh Sports, Bianchi C.u.S.S, Soma DC Disc, Bill Boston Tandem

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RobE30
I picked up the girls version of the same bike. The rear brakes are mounted in the same location. If you need any parts for yours, let me know. When I picked the bike up, I wanted to go out and buy a pair of Zubaz pants. I think thats what they are called....
Originally Posted by BluesDaddy
What is it about the brake that isn't working? Maybe you just need new pads.
I'm not really sure if there is a problem with the brake or if it is me. The spring on the drive side brake arm works as it should and when tight it keeps the pad sprung away from the rim, but I think the spring on the other side isn't working properly as when tight, the spring forces the arm/pad into the rim. Any configuration of switching or flipping the springs doesn't make a difference.
Does that make sense to anybody?
Old 02-15-10, 02:32 AM
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I won't try to defend u-brakes, but the chainstay mounted roller-cam brake does make a bit of sense. Those things can put out a lot of power, more than enough to flex the seat stays of a bike. By moving it to the beefier chain stays, you actually increase the braking power. I don't know how much of that was Wilderness Trail Bike Bull, but it makes enough sense to me.

why it took off with anaemic little u-brakes, I have no idea.
Old 02-15-10, 03:06 AM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Putting a chainstay mounted brake on a mountain bike that might see a lot of dirt and mud was a bad idea but the brakes themselves offer some incredible stopping power.

I have an 87 and 88 Kuwahara mtb's that have been converted to fixed gear road and touring use... the fixed gear bike has no rear brake mounted as it interferes with the chain and really is not needed. The tourer has a Shimano u-brake, and the stopping power is excellent, and it also keeps the upper brake bridge area open.

They need to be checked for wear more frequently as with brake wear the angle of the brake arms is such that you will start running the brake pad into the tyre... but new brake pads are cheap.

I have been running a u brake equipped bicycle for years and have had no trouble at all but I am not a set it and forget ot kind of person.