Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Wrap Around Prescription Sunglasses?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-10, 10:51 PM

Bikes: Trek 820

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After searching through the forums I didn't find any one location that compiled all the info together, so I'll ask the question myself.

I started trying to get myself more in shape and athletic about 9 months ago. I started running and biking. There were a number of times when biking over the summer that life would have been easier with some sunglasses but I dealt with it.

I was running recently (through the snow) and it was just so annoyingly bright... I think it's time to invest in some prescription shades.

I'd like to get wrap around sunglasses but I really don't know anything about them. Also, I'm pretty sure the local eye-guys (Lenscrafters) who I go to for everything won't offer them in store, so if I have to order online it'll be a whole new experience for me.

These guys, these and these look nifty, but I don't know anything about practicality. What should I look for? Tint, polarized, this style lens or that, this curvature or that? I should add that my prescription is strong for near-sightedness, my sphere is -4.25...

EDIT: Here is information from various people who replied to this thread.

Prescription Sunglasses
Sports Optical - https://www.sportsoptical.com/index.htm
Optilabs (UK) - https://www.optilabs.com/site/prods.php?pfid=0,8,11
Rudy Project - https://www.rudyprojectusa.com/home.htm and the Free Gear Offer https://www.e-rudy.com/rudy-project-gear-kit-details.php

Sunglasses with prescription lens inserts or clip-ins
Adidas Evil Eye
Sports Optical - https://www.sportsoptical.com/index.htm
Zenni Optical - http://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php?cat=27

Other suggestions:
Solar Shields on top of existing prescription glasses - https://www.eyesave.com/brands/b281-d...ses/index.aspx
Sport Eyes (I didn't look into these guys much) - https://www.sporteyes.biz/Sunglasses-c28/

Last edited by secrettrek3; 02-23-10 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-20-10, 12:48 AM

Bikes: Scott Road, Jamis, Tricross,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oakley's are out of consideration for you, and me. I wanted a pair of Jawbones or Flak Jacket XLJ's but they only go up to a +2 or -2. I'm a +3.5 and just got Rudy Project's. Some of the Rudy's go up to +6/-6. I would call Sports Optical. They know what works in prescription sunglasses. Call them and review your prescription with them, they can tell you what pairs will work best for you.

I chose Rudy Project Horus frames and got two sets of RX swappable lenses. One is polarized brown for day to day use and the other is yellow for flat light and night riding. Both are single vision. I've done progressives in the past and I can't stand the distortion I get from the wrap.
Old 02-20-10, 01:02 AM
Primate

Bikes: Concorde Columbus SL, Rocky Mountain Edge, Sparta stadfiets

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Adidas Evil Eye

Prescription insert is much smaller than outer lens, but is light and takes care of central vision in a non-distorted way. Great peripheral vision. Outer lenses swap out for amber, yellow, clear. Insert (not to scale in picture) will take massive +/- prescriptions. I have two pairs.
Old 02-20-10, 01:45 AM

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
Google search "bicycling sunglasses RX insert"

There are a few sunglasses that have a prescription insert that is just added to the inside of the glasses.
Old 02-20-10, 01:54 AM
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
+1

https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=7985
Old 02-20-10, 03:27 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by secrettrek3
I should add that my prescription is strong for near-sightedness, my sphere is -4.25...
There's a pretty good chance you won't be able to find anything. I am also quite near-sighted, and tried to get wrap around prescription sunglasses, and was informed that they couldn't be made for me. The reason given was because that type of sunglasses have a curve to them which ends up distorting the lenses.

I tried to order them from several local glasses shops, and they would have been able to order them for me (so you can indeed try Lens Crafters), but they all told me that it would be a waste of something in the neighborhood of $500.

So I went with sunglasses with prescription inserts from MEC. Those glasses were under $100 ... and are useless. They had to curve the lense ever-so-slightly which distorted it, and I cannot use them for cycling.

Talk to your Lens Crafters and see what they say.
Old 02-20-10, 09:46 AM

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
There's a pretty good chance you won't be able to find anything. I am also quite near-sighted, and tried to get wrap around prescription sunglasses, and was informed that they couldn't be made for me. The reason given was because that type of sunglasses have a curve to them which ends up distorting the lenses.

I tried to order them from several local glasses shops, and they would have been able to order them for me (so you can indeed try Lens Crafters), but they all told me that it would be a waste of something in the neighborhood of $500.

So I went with sunglasses with prescription inserts from MEC. Those glasses were under $100 ... and are useless. They had to curve the lense ever-so-slightly which distorted it, and I cannot use them for cycling.

There is a firm here in the UK which can supply curved lenses with any prescription. They do not use inserts but have a computer programme which can do this. I've used them and the quality and price are good.
https://www.optilabs.com/site/prods.php?pfid=0,8,11
Old 02-20-10, 09:47 AM

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka

There is a firm here in the UK which can supply curved lenses with any prescription. They do not use inserts but have a computer programme which can do this. I've used them and the quality and price are good.
https://www.optilabs.com/site/prods.php?pfid=0,8,11
Old 02-20-10, 06:15 PM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
After searching through the forums I didn't find any one location that compiled all the info together, so I'll ask the question myself.

I started trying to get myself more in shape and athletic about 9 months ago. I started running and biking. There were a number of times when biking over the summer that life would have been easier with some sunglasses but I dealt with it.

I was running recently (through the snow) and it was just so annoyingly bright... I think it's time to invest in some prescription shades.

I'd like to get wrap around sunglasses but I really don't know anything about them. Also, I'm pretty sure the local eye-guys (Lenscrafters) who I go to for everything won't offer them in store, so if I have to order online it'll be a whole new experience for me.

These guys, these and these look nifty, but I don't know anything about practicality. What should I look for? Tint, polarized, this style lens or that, this curvature or that? I should add that my prescription is strong for near-sightedness, my sphere is -4.25...
I've worn these for years over my prescription glasses. I find that these serve as rock protection as well since they are unbreakable.
https://www.eyesave.com/brands/b281-d...ses/index.aspx

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 02-20-10, 06:16 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I've worn these for years over my prescription glasses. I find that these serve as rock protection as well since they are unbreakable.
https://www.eyesave.com/brands/b281-d...ses/index.aspx

Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 02-20-10, 08:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In an ideal world I would hope to avoid the use of inserts, and have one set of lenses that's combined and does everything and also makes my coffee and washes my bike.

I checked Rudy Project out, it's true that a lot of their lenses can't do that extreme of a prescription (just like everyone else, it seems) but the Horus and a few can do it (those that are less 'wrap around').

I think if it were impossible to get my prescription in wrap around, and my choice was a set of lenses with inserts, OR sunglasses that aren't wrap arounds, I'd go for the latter. It seems like a simpler solution, to have just one pair of glasses, with one pair of lenses. I'm going to go through all the web sites you guys have suggested, though, as well as ask Lenscrafters and see what they can cook up.
Old 02-20-10, 08:38 PM

Bikes: 2010 Felt F5, 2010 Dawes SST-AL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
contacts + whatever glasses you want
Old 02-21-10, 12:44 AM

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
In an ideal world I would hope to avoid the use of inserts, and have one set of lenses that's combined and does everything and also makes my coffee and washes my bike.

I checked Rudy Project out, it's true that a lot of their lenses can't do that extreme of a prescription (just like everyone else, it seems) but the Horus and a few can do it (those that are less 'wrap around').

I think if it were impossible to get my prescription in wrap around, and my choice was a set of lenses with inserts, OR sunglasses that aren't wrap arounds, I'd go for the latter. It seems like a simpler solution, to have just one pair of glasses, with one pair of lenses. I'm going to go through all the web sites you guys have suggested, though, as well as ask Lenscrafters and see what they can cook up.
In the ideal world you and I wouldn't need glasses.
Old 02-21-10, 04:29 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by CNY James
This is what I do.
Old 02-21-10, 07:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just went through this 6 weeks ago. I wanted wraparounds because of better protection from wind tears. I bought a pair of Serenghetti wrap around glasses from Costco's opticial department. They took out the original lenses and replaced them with polarized prescription lenses. After 1 week of wearing them I couldn't take the distortion and "searching" necessary to bring proper focus. They refunded my money (I and my wife are long time regular customers there) and I bought a prescription glasses that were "flatter" with a larger lens size than I wear normally. YMMV
Old 02-21-10, 10:08 AM
Commuter & cyclotourist

Bikes: Boulder All Road, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Breezer Uptown 8, Bike Friday Express Tikit, Trek MultiTrack 730 (Problem? No, I don't have a problem)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been looking for a decent pair of wraparound prescription glasses with no success. I'm quite nearsighted, -4.75 spherical in one eye and -6.75 in the other, so I don't have a lot of choices.

Right now I use a pair of SolarShield fit-over sunglasses (the kind that Nightshade recommended). They're dirt cheap, and they work great, but I wish I could get them with photosensitive film.
Old 02-21-10, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With a -7 prescription, the local optician had laughed at me for years when I'd ask about these wraparound sport-type sunglases. Last summer, I dutifully asked again and he set me up with a pair from Liberty Sport. One of the best purchases I've ever made.
Old 02-22-10, 09:04 AM
Scan Me

Bikes: 2009 Trek 2.3, 2010 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://zennioptical.com/cart/home.php?cat=27

I've got glasses from them. $20 complete, including shipping for plain-old prescription sunglasses.
Old 02-22-10, 03:04 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by brianogilvie
I've been looking for a decent pair of wraparound prescription glasses with no success. I'm quite nearsighted, -4.75 spherical in one eye and -6.75 in the other, so I don't have a lot of choices.

Right now I use a pair of SolarShield fit-over sunglasses (the kind that Nightshade recommended). They're dirt cheap, and they work great, but I wish I could get them with photosensitive film.
Do what I do. I always order photosensitive prescription lenses in my street glasses. They work in concert with the Solar Shields to provide a mix of light/dark that works well except deep shade or nighttime.

Old 02-22-10, 07:14 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by CNY James
Tried that a while back. One eye required a toroidal lens, which was exceptionally fragile. Mine tore every other week- and they weren't disposable. I went back to glasses, and Bollé sunglasses with prescription insert. They've worked for me for almost 20 years.

My wife liked hers, too, until she got LASIK. Now she's happy with off-the-shelf sunglasses, darn her.

These folks are local to me: https://www.sporteyes.com/ . I haven't tried them, but one of my friends recommended them to me.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..

Last edited by Jeff Wills; 02-22-10 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-22-10, 11:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to stop by Lenscrafters sometime this week if I can (been busy). I sent some emails to a few of the companies mentioned at the beginning of this thread. SportRX Prescription Eyewear replied with a recommendation for the Rudy Project Horus.
Old 02-23-10, 07:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have new(er) info.

Lenscrafters confirmed that my prescription is too strong for them to manufacturer Oakleys or any other lens that aren't standard, looking straight ahead deals. They suggested contacts and their designer sunglasses instead.

I contacted a few of the companies you guys have mentioned, and ALL of them recommended Rudy Project. Horus came up the most times, although the Ekynox SX and the Ketyu came up.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with Rudy Project. Thing is, they have a sweet deal going on right now. When you buy your sunglasses from them, they will give you a free backpack or duffel bag, a ball cap, helmet, and a t-shirt. Colors are your choice. I checked reviews on individual items and people think the stuff is pretty good. It sounds like a good catch, especially since the glasses are so darn expensive.

https://www.e-rudy.com/rudy-project-gear-kit-details.php

I'm not sure on what kind of lenses I plan to get but the Rudy Project Horus seems to be a decent, comfortable looking result for myself. The Optilabs seem to be on par in quality and price, but there's is a place nearby that I can try the Rudy Project frames, and I think that's pretty important.

Last edited by secrettrek3; 02-23-10 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-24-10, 09:48 AM

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Roubaix comp (SRAM Rival), 2009 Trek 7.3FX, Early 80's steel frame Suteki road bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't remember my prescription numbers offhand, but I had a similar issue to you in that some of the more curvy wrap-arounds I was looking at (Oakley, etc.) couldn't be made in my prescription. I found a Ray-Ban frame that I really like for my cycling glasses. Less curve to the lense itself, but some side protection provided by the arms. And the arms don't inhibit peripheral vision as much as you'd think just from looking at the picture.

Don't know if this is the exact model, but they're very similar to these.

Old 02-24-10, 09:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check the "Only on TV" Brand Section in your neighborhood Walgreens and/or CVS Pharmacies. They now now have a Section for these "Only Sold on TV Products" . There, they stock those plastic wraparounds for around $10 with the Prescription Correction already built in. Nice side peripheal protection also The only problem is they have a limited selection of corrective spheres and sometimes they aren't exact as they jump incrementally from +1.75 to 2.00+ to 2.50+ to 3.00+. In my case my correction is around 2.25 and they don't stock any in 2.25 so I had to settle for +2.00 and the other problem is they have the same correction in each eye while my eyes vary. Still for $10 for use for a 2-3 hour bike outing or backup, they are extremly useful. Great Deal for $10 if your correction falls in between what they stock.

Last edited by miamimike; 02-24-10 at 09:12 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-25-10, 04:16 AM

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I went through all the choices you have tried a couple years ago. In a last ditch effort I walked into the eyeglass part of the Walmart and they had some wraparound sunglasses that didn't have a lot of curve to the lens. I can't remember the brand, but they were advertised as motorcycle glasses and they could make them with a much stronger prescription than anyplace else. I have worn them almost daily since a got them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.