Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Touring and charging electronics

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-10, 05:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I want to tour the US and tent camp my way through, so I won't have a terribly long time each day to keep my GPS, phone, camera, etc. charged... so are there any bike mounted generators that can tap into the drivetrain or something to generate a small amount of power consistently to keep handheld electronics charged?

I don't need to charge a laptop or anything, just small lithium ion batteries. The ability to plug it in directly would be best, I think. Instead of storing power and charging at night, that way I could charge as I ride and swap each out as needed.
Old 02-25-10, 02:03 AM

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
how about solar power:
https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14772
Old 02-25-10, 03:43 PM

Bikes: Diamondback "parkway" Spec. "expedition

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
My experience has been if staying at a campground I ask at the office to charge my phone & MP3 player. When I use the Mass. commuter train they have plugs for elec. I have found campgrounds that have elec. with no extra charge and have asked RV'rs if they would charge the phone.
Old 02-25-10, 10:02 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I think one of the best mobile power sources is the apc mobile power pack.. This will charge anything that has a usb connection.. I can keep my Garmin, Ipod and Samsung phone all charged up when on the road.. You sometimes have to buy a charging usb cable for your phone but most phones have this option and the power pack lasts a long time.. It is the size of a credit card but a little thicker, both standard and mini usb connection. These can be found on ebay for around 40.00-60.00..

here is more info: https://www.amazon.com/APC-Mobile-Pow.../dp/B000GBN42E
Old 02-26-10, 06:28 AM

Bikes: Burley Tosa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, with an apc mobile power pack - any idea how many times you could charge an iPod or iPhone before the power pack would need to be recharged?
Old 02-26-10, 05:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RochMNTandem
So, with an apc mobile power pack - any idea how many times you could charge an iPod or iPhone before the power pack would need to be recharged?
RochMNTandem,

Some good reading about the apc power pack at link.

https://tinyurl.com/5vq9uy
Old 02-26-10, 09:36 PM

Bikes: 2009 Rocky Mountain Solo CXR and 2011 Trek Fuel EX 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A good time to charge is when you do your laundry.
Old 02-27-10, 06:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about an E-WERK from busch and muller?
https://www.bumm.de/index-e.html
Old 03-01-10, 05:46 PM
Long Live Long Rides

Bikes: 1988 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, converted for touring/commuting. 1984 Raleigh Team USA road bike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've toured for years and will admit I've been really lucky. Several years ago I started carrying an outlet tester (you know the one with two wires and a light in the center?). This thing is really compact and lightweight. I'll stop at parks that have a shelter and check the outlet. I almost always get lucky and can sponge some electricity to charge my headlight battery pack and/or phone. However, lately I have been feeling a little wierd about it.

This year I'm planning on trying a small solar pack. I have a 900 mile trip coming up and will test it then. I've read decent reviews about the solar charger shown in the above post. I'll probably still take my outlet tester...just in case.

Jerry H
Old 05-21-14, 09:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I created a very in-depth blog entry and video about the electronics I used while touring:

Electronics | WanderingUpward.

These were some of the things I needed the electronics to handle while touring:

Keeping up with a blog
Taking pictures and videos
Uploading videos to YouTube
Linking YouTube videos to my blog
Linking blog posts to Facebook
Access to electronic maps and GPS location
Hardware for solar charging
Making phone calls
Old 05-21-14, 11:17 PM

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, Torker U-District

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been riding around with a Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus kit strapped to my handlebar bag for a while now and use it to charge my USB lights, backup battery, and iPhone 4s while running Endomondo to track my rides. I've used this set up on one overnight bike/hike trip, two centuries, and many commuting trips and it keeps my horribly beat iPhone battery juiced even on pretty overcast days. I've also used it very successfully strapped to my backpack.

I met a few thru hikers on the AT, nicknamed the "green tunnel" because of the tree cover, a couple years ago that used these and had enough power to offer me juice to call home. I also met a guy on the tail end of an Alaska to Key West trip who carried it strapped to the back of his trailer. They pass the toughness test if you ask me.
Old 05-22-14, 01:44 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by BearsysRevenge
I want to tour the US and tent camp my way through, so I won't have a terribly long time each day to keep my GPS, phone, camera, etc. charged... so are there any bike mounted generators that can tap into the drivetrain or something to generate a small amount of power consistently to keep handheld electronics charged?
I have no idea how there's an entire thread and this doesn't seem to be mentioned yet, but it's called a dynamo. Generates power via the wheel spinning. Like the Luxos U is both a light and a usb charger (use one or the other, not both at the same time).
Old 05-22-14, 07:43 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
I have no idea how there's an entire thread and this doesn't seem to be mentioned yet, but it's called a dynamo. Generates power via the wheel spinning. Like the Luxos U is both a light and a usb charger (use one or the other, not both at the same time).
Well, there is at least one thread about that light. I bet I'd love it, but I don't have a rationale for paying for one. Maybe I will one day.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-22-14, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by weavers
how about solar power:
Internal Server Error
It might work OK if you are a vampire (ride at night; sleep in your coffin during the day).

The solar charging works "best" if you position it directly at the sun. Since that's hard to do on a bike, you have to expect that it will not work nearly as well as the optimistic descriptions.
Old 05-22-14, 09:34 AM

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
This seems to be hands down the best solution, good to know.
Old 05-22-14, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4244 Post(s)
Liked 1,348 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by RochMNTandem
An iPhone 5 has a 1440 mAh battery. The battery charger indicated has 10,000 mAh. You can't get all of that out. So, let's say it's 20% less (or 8000 mAh).

Thus, about 5.5 full charges.

A Garmin Edge 800 has a 1000 mAh battery.

Even if you had some power source on the bike (like a hub dynamo), you probably want to have a battery also (which you could charge from the power source).

If you can get access to electric power ever 2-3 days, an appropriately sized battery charger might be enough.
Old 05-22-14, 10:19 AM

Bikes: Franken-mountain bike, mid-90s Performance TR1000, 1990 Cannondale ST400

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's a very nice light/idea, but methinks the same ends can be achieved with any ole dynamo and a little bit of soldering. A 5V voltage regulator is not particularly expensive: 5V Fixed-Voltage Regulator 7805 : Voltage Regulators | RadioShack.com

This regulator, with a few capacitors to help eat up noise in both the input and output signals, could be connected to any dynamo and a hacked up mini-USB charge cable and used to charge whatever device it is you have. Heck, you could even throw a switch in between the voltage regulator input and dynamo that would allow you to choose whether to power a USB device or a light. Heat generation may be an issue depending on the current draw, so a heatsink on the regulator may also be a good idea. Then again, at lower speeds the dynamo may not supply 5V and that point could be moot.

On that note, I recently acquired a rather old bottle dynamo from a friend and am planning to rig up something like the above for my commuter/(hopefully later in the summer) tourer. Will be sure to post details for all once I get time to actually do it (if it works).
Old 05-22-14, 10:46 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Latest Ortlieb bar bag added, at the top of the range, Electrical contacts in the 2 parts of the Bag QR

so the power from the Hub dynamo is wired to the Bar mount, and without any other wires to disconnect,

all your E things in it, come off with the Bag ..

those E werk things and buffer batteries need to go on the frame some where , otherwise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-23-14 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-22-14, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by bikemig
This seems to be hands down the best solution, good to know.
Yeah, I think it's (a dynamo hub) the #2 most common solution only behind "stay somewhere every night or every couple of days that has a power source". :-)

Last edited by PaulRivers; 05-23-14 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-22-14, 09:00 PM

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
I'm surprised people are still asking this type of question with dynamo hubs having been out for a number of years now, so perhaps their marketing needs improvement.

I use a Son28 dynamo hub which though initially a bit pricy, comes with a 5 year warranty.

With this I have an E-werk with cache battery.

The combo allows me to keep my Garmin Edge 800 gps and my iPhone charged up.

Theres lots of info out there on the topic.

Perhaps this link might help and be a decent start researching the topic OP.
Lighting systems

Hope this helps

On a side note, for me, there is nothing worse than sitting in a campground bathroom or laundry for hours at a time awaiting your phone or gps to charge, too terrified to leave it unattended for a moment knowing it will likely disappear before you return.

For me this makes the expense of my investment well worth it alone.

Solar might work for some but I dont think the technology is there yet for cycle tourists who ride during the daylight hours.
Or at least it doesnt suit me.

I've even bought a second dynamo hub to sit in my single wheel trailer
(https://www.extrawheel.com/en/3/bicycle_trailer/)
to power my notebook and Petzl Tikka2 XP headlight torch with usb rechargeable Core battery.
https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Headla...tzl-Tikka-XP-2

Last edited by rifraf; 05-22-14 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-23-14, 03:21 AM

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah, I think it's the #2 most common solution only behind "stay somewhere every night or every couple of days that has a power source". :-)
Right now I think the combination of dynamo plus back-up battery is the way to go. I plan to take this approach myself once I get the money for a dynamo. A dynamo should be able to keep the average cell phone from fully discharging during a long ride even with a navigation app being used full time. Coupled with the right external battery set-up you can also have a plan B waiting in the wings.

If I were planning on doing a long tour I would consider using a 4-cell 18650 battery holder coupled with a USB DC voltage converter ( for use when needed ). To charge the batteries I would use the best four-bay "fast charger" I could find. That would help alleviate some of the time needed to wait while charging the batteries on the road. While "fast charging" is usually not recommended for charging Li-ion batteries, it can be done safely. It will age the batteries faster but in certain venues ( such as a 24hr race ) speed of charging is more important than the life span of the battery. As such "touring" fits into the same dynamic because no one wants to wait 4 hrs for a battery to charge. With the right dynamo/battery set-up I think it conceivable that a person could go 3 to 4 days without having to seek out an AC power source for recharging. Besides, I would think that in 3 or 4 days you would need to stop to replenish supplies needed for touring anyway which should bring you into an area where AC power should be available.
Old 05-23-14, 06:07 AM
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Dyno powered 1 amp USB charger... Charge your electronics (and/or battery pack) while riding during the day and run your lights at night.

Sinewave Cycles Revolution | Sinewave Cycles
Old 05-23-14, 01:16 PM

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Dyno powered 1 amp USB charger... Charge your electronics (and/or battery pack) while riding during the day and run your lights at night.

Sinewave Cycles Revolution | Sinewave Cycles
Yep, I remember seeing that product posted before. Wish it didn't cost so much. I'm confused though, I thought a typical hub dynamo could only supply about 500ma.@ 6volts. (?)

Interestingly while reading about the Sinewave charger it looks like it will work in parallel with a solar unit to run/charge a device. That is an interesting option if you have the money and don't mind the extra weight.

Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 05-23-14 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-23-14, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by 01 CAt Man Do
Right now I think the combination of dynamo plus back-up battery is the way to go. I plan to take this approach myself once I get the money for a dynamo. A dynamo should be able to keep the average cell phone from fully discharging during a long ride even with a navigation app being used full time. Coupled with the right external battery set-up you can also have a plan B waiting in the wings.
Yeah, that seems like the best option to me as well (though note that I am not actually doing tours).

I don't know of anything more reliable than a dynamo (other than being 100% sure you're always stopping somewhere with a regular power outlet) - it constantly outputs power as long as you keep moving. Solar power means attaching it to the back of your bike somehow, it doesn't work much when it's cloudy, and having to try to keep it pointed at the sun. I've heard of people doing it, but it seems like they already have a dynamo and just need to charge more stuff, stuff like an iPad that if it runs out of juice for a day or two it's annoying but not horrible.