Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

zen on wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-04, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
zen on wheels

any comments on peaceful, zen-like late night, early morning, or midst of traffic, union with the bike?
Old 08-19-04, 04:40 PM
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I mostly get it late at night on the quiet residential streets behind my building. Particularly sweet when the road is wet and I bust a long-ass skid that feels like flying...
Old 08-19-04, 04:50 PM
I need more bikes!!!

Bikes: 2 roadies, 7 fixed-gears, 1 hardtail, 1 full suspension mtb, and 1 hybrid...so far.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anytime of day...Nirvana is finding the perfect cadence on a flat road...that exact rotation that takes virtually zero power to spin, yet you are cruising along at 24 mph.
Old 08-19-04, 08:44 PM
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Every so often I get it on my commute. The feeling of perfection as you hit everything perfectly...

https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/54179-there-s-line-through-city.html

That says it better than I can now...
Old 08-19-04, 09:47 PM
what time is it?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it hits me a lot at night when I can see my own shadow cast on the street - upper body motionless - legs spinning fluidly

then i'll botch a trackstand and lose it =]
Old 08-19-04, 10:22 PM
Frankly, Mr. Shankly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Usually when on the ride home from band practice - it's about 10pm and the west side is quieter than the rest of the city. I make my way east to home, the music is humming along quietly in my earphones as I take the streets as my own, the few cars on the route home don't bother me and neither do I them. If a tailwind is with me, I'm spinning all the way home and if the lights are in my favour then everything melts away. The ride is all that matters in this moment, the steady hum of my legs and if the pace is quick enough I know my tongue is gripping my lower lip just like Jordan. This is the moment that no on else shares with me, the moment that I wish more people did because I have a smile on my face.
Old 08-20-04, 02:22 AM
I bet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes when I ride my bike I don't have any real notice that I am riding a bike or that I am in traffic. By which I mean that there is nothing at all special about it, I just do it. That to me is Zen. Or I need to go 10 miles and I go 10 miles. Or it's raining or it's snowing and I do that. Like this morning it was raining and I got wet.
Old 08-20-04, 02:26 AM
sVe

Bikes: Nishiki Continental fixed winter beater, Fixed Surly CrossCheck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Midwinter morning in Helsinki - minus 20 celcius, dead streets, sun just peeking on the horizon. Wake at 7, ride to center through snow. Peace
Old 08-20-04, 05:08 AM
Castiron Perineum

Location: Taking a tip from Siu Blue Wind, I too am typing a lengthy passage of text down here to demonstrate the enormous amount of space available should one wish to use it-- in sharp contrast to the avatar text above this part.

Bikes: '06 Salsa Campeon, '84 Cannondale R1000, 80's Nishiki Ariel

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm glad someone has brought up this somewhat spiritual topic. It doesn't happen to me every ride, maybe one ride in 15-20, but when it does it's amazing. I don't think this 'experience' for me is dependent upon weather conditions or terrain, although it would be pretty unusual to happen in say, a driving rain or a stiff headwind. Generally speaking it seems to happen when I'm relaxed, working hard, and 'open' to all the sensory input flooding in around me. I know it sounds weird, but in a very tangible sense 'I' cease to exist... I don't turn into a zombie or anything, it's like 'I', the learned self that is Dave, is sublimated and vanishes... everything is forward motion and breathing.

I'll come back from this state and be 20 miles down the road sometimes. It's extremely cool.

Dave
Old 08-20-04, 05:23 AM
the way we get by

Bikes: Cinelli Supercorsa / Surly Karate Monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
oneself at the lake on last piece of concrete before you fall into the lake, going ever so slowely, trying and trying again to track stand
Old 08-20-04, 05:25 AM
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am at one with the road. The pavement is a part of me.

Now lets hope I don't become part of the pavement.