Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Bike got stolen - I need fixed gear advice

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Bike got stolen - I need fixed gear advice

Old 08-19-04, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So my first, one true love, the Cannondale T2000 got stolen last week and I want to build a fixed commuter. I'm looking to spend little money, but also have a sweet ride. I've purchased an old steal Austro-Daimler road frame. So at this point I'm looking for a track hub or a track hub built in to a wheel. Am I on the right track people? chuckle. So, I imagine my next step is to measure the gap in the rear drop-outs?
right?
help..

cannondale R.I.P : (((

Last edited by brianallan; 08-19-04 at 11:10 PM. Reason: cat hit enter!
Old 08-20-04, 12:36 AM
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a great time getting help on some bike maintenance at the place I mentioned in my post below. They were pretty handy, and boucoup amounts of parts, so putting a bike together there wouldn't be any problem. They could probably line you up with a FG.

https://bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=46048
Old 08-20-04, 01:44 AM

Bikes: Box Dog Pelican randonneur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should figure out what size chainring you're going to use in front so that you know what size track sprocket to buy for the track wheel you get. Then get the track wheel, track sprocket and lockring, get it spaced to your rear spacing (get them to use really tiny spacers so you can flip them around for straight chainline). Get single-stack bolts so you can take off all but one front chainring. Put the wheel on and mess around with the spacers until your chainline is perfectly straight, then take everything else off. Then resize the chain so it's tight, and pull back really hard when you bolt your wheel into the dropouts.

This is all fresh in my mind because I did it for the first time last weekend.