Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

i just moved to charlotte, i need some route help.

Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Old 03-01-10, 08:21 PM
nyc messenger trash

Bikes: a road bike, touring bike, cross bike, track bike, single speed mt bike, hard tail mt bike, and a full suspension mt bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i just moved from nyc to charlotte nc. i was wondering if anyone has any good routes from, lets say, independence and farmingdale to uwharrie national park, i have ridden on albermarle as far as a place called jakes good eats a little east of 485. any suggestions for a decent route to uwharrie? has anybody else made the ride?
Old 03-02-10, 08:59 AM

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
This is probably not the most direct, but I came across it the other day when looking for routes between Charlotte and Raleigh. It does go close to Uwharrie, but depending on where at Uwharrie you want to go, there are probably better routes:
https://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united...leigh/97712343
Old 03-02-10, 09:12 PM
nyc messenger trash

Bikes: a road bike, touring bike, cross bike, track bike, single speed mt bike, hard tail mt bike, and a full suspension mt bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the reply but that would add 60 miles to my route, and after a riding 100 miles to get there and a weekend of camping and riding i dont know if ill have it in me to ride 100 miles back home, really what im looking for is a way to sort of parallel albermarle/27 to get away from the traffic.
Old 03-04-10, 07:19 PM
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
I ride down to Morrow Mtn (Uwharrie) on a regular basis. I start from Concord but know those roads over your way pretty well. If you're close to Albemarle Rd and 485 you're not too far from picking up a route that is pretty well marked on the road. From whereever you are, take some back roads to Ferguson and McManus-just west of Hwy 601. You will see a yellow "gear" painted on the road. You can follow those and it will take you over to Morrow Mtn. It might change to a solid yellow circle with an arrow along the way as that is another route that also takes you over.

You can also go via Stanfield, Big Lick-take St Martins Rd, Old Aquadale. The key is to take Old Aquadale to Hwy 138, Southside, Stony Gap (goes straight across Hwy 52) and then it's a straight shot to the entrance of Morrow Mt.

You can also start the whole route at Running Crk Elementary as it is very well marked from there. It's a 60 mile loop from there.

It's a really, really nice area to ride.
Old 03-05-10, 02:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure exactly where you'd be headed in Uwharrie, but you might take a look at bigbikemap.com and see if anything there gets you close to where you want to be.

There are a couple of Cabarrus County signed routes that cross over 24/27 around Midland. I can add those if it would be helpful.
Old 03-08-10, 02:56 AM
nyc messenger trash

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks guys big help. and really gears painted on the road? pretty cool.