Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Help Finding The Right Bike For Me

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-10, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking for something I can go on trails with, but will also be good for riding on the street every now and then. I have seen a couple sites already, but I'm really new and don't want to buy something that isn't right for me. I'm looking around the $500 mark.
Old 03-11-10, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
one option is to simply switch out knobby tires for trails and slicks for pavement with whatever bike you choose.
i guess your looking at some kind of hybrid if you want both uses of trails and pavement riding
there is a large selection in your price range
personally i have only had 3 bikes over the past ten years but nothing in your price range
what you can do is size up the responses you get on this thread, but also go down to your friendly lbs and talk to them, i am sure they can steer you in the right direction
Old 03-11-10, 09:04 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jae22p
I'm looking for something I can go on trails with, but will also be good for riding on the street every now and then. I have seen a couple sites already, but I'm really new and don't want to buy something that isn't right for me. I'm looking around the $500 mark.
Lots of options in your price range. You could get a gently used higher quality mountain bike and a spare set of wheels with slicks on them for that. Do you have any cycling friends you trust to help you out? Brands to look for are: Trek, Giant and Rockhopper. Mongoose, Schwinn and GT can be good if you can differentiate between the older bike shop models and the look alike cheap crappy ones. There are plenty of other bike brands out there but those are some of the major ones. Your local Craig's List is a decent place to start, also give us a general idea where you live and they may be a BF member nearby that could help you out.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-11-10, 05:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Yeah I was told by another person to look for a used bike because I could probably get a better bang for the buck. What I am getting here is that I would just need to get 2 sets of tires.
Old 03-11-10, 06:10 PM
Soma Lover

Bikes: one bike for every day of the week

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 sets of tires.
That depends on the distances to be covered and the nature of the trails. I ride lots of simple unpaved nature trails and graded dirt roads on 700x37c slicks. I ride most of the intermediate trails around here on 26x1.9" semi-slicks that also roll pretty well on the road. If you're not going out for 30-50 mile club rides or trying to ride aggressivly on technical trails, you may well be able to find a happy medium.
Old 03-12-10, 03:44 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Thanks for the responses. Yeah I was told by another person to look for a used bike because I could probably get a better bang for the buck. What I am getting here is that I would just need to get 2 sets of tires.
Not necessarily. I run a semi aggressive city tire on my expedition tour bike (Giant Iguana) and it does fine in both environments. It won't do very technical stuff, but for general trail riding and road it does fine. FWIW I use an older version of the Forte Gotham tire, a buddy of mine runs Continental Town & Country.

A few years back when my MTB was my main bike I kept two sets of wheels. During the week I would run slicks for a fast commute and on weekends put the set with knobbies on and hit the local mountain trails. Tire choices are much better now than they were then.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon