Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

water bag

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

water bag

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-10, 09:46 AM

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
water bag

Nothing in the search results and I need a bag(s) of some sort for pedaling a gallon of water thru desert country. I use panniers and 3 water bottle holders.

Recommendations based on experience?
Old 03-11-10, 09:56 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
If you want bags, I found the Platypus 2+ liter to be nice. It is a reasonable size and it stands up. That said I find it works just as well to either use recycled sports drink bottles or bottled water bottles. Stick a few in each pannier (or just under the flap). That way you can pick up or discard them and avoid carrying anything when you don't need it.

So maybe carry one Platypus 2+ liter and augment it with recycled bottles or just use recycled bottles exclusively (other than the bottles in your cages).
Old 03-11-10, 10:10 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclebum
Nothing in the search results and I need a bag(s) of some sort for pedaling a gallon of water thru desert country. I use panniers and 3 water bottle holders.

MSR Dromedary bags here is a recent review on them.

I have several of them in different sizes. I quite often fill the 4 liter one, let it lay out in the sun, attach the shower gizmo and wash at will.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-11-10, 10:13 AM
ah.... sure.

Bikes: Specialized.... schwinn..... enough to fill my needs..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm into simple.. my favorite is using two liter soda bottles... when not in use I just squish the down with the lid off.... take up little space, weigh little and cost nothing. Gets the job done for me. Plus I can see if it's getting nasty inside.
Old 03-11-10, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
staehpj1
If you want bags, I found the Platypus 2+ liter to be nice
+1-- We used a couple of Platypus bladders for extra water going through eastern Oregon, southern Idaho , and Wyoming. The good thing about them is they weigh very little and roll up in a very small package. In retrospect any of the collapsible bladders would have worked fine, and the Nalgene has a larger opening, making it easier to fill. Even "out of the desert", extra water also comes in handy if you know you are going to dry camp. Makes cleanup and cooking easier.
Old 03-11-10, 10:38 AM
friction baby, friction

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclebum

I have used this:

https://https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002...SIN=B0024O0X5C
Old 03-11-10, 10:47 AM
friction baby, friction

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
try again,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024O0X5C/...opzilla_rev_31
Old 03-11-10, 11:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyakdiver
I'm into simple.. my favorite is using two liter soda bottles... when not in use I just squish the down with the lid off.... take up little space, weigh little and cost nothing. Gets the job done for me. Plus I can see if it's getting nasty inside.
yep i like soda bottles too. last summer i found some 3l bottles by shasta beverage. bad soda, great water container.
Old 03-11-10, 11:13 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Dunkin Donuts sells a box of coffee, a cardboard box with a bladder in it. I certainly wouldn't use one that's had coffee in it; and I'm not sure how you'd fill it (but obviously Dunkin can do it), but it would seem a pretty economical solution. Same goes for the bladder from a box of wine; you just have to figure out the easy way to fill it.
Old 03-11-10, 11:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used empty bottles (1.5l), platypus bladders, and MSR dromedary bags.

Empty bottles work for one or two trips, but for a better long term solution, bags are more packable, and more durable.

The MSR bags are worth the cost. They will last for years, they make good pillows and they are versatile to mate with water filters or showers etc. Since they have a squirt-top, a small mouth, and a large mouth, they are easy to fill, drink from, and also have a small stream for hand/face washing. The platypus bladders eventually crack at the edges (I had 2), but are decent. The difference is the MSR bags can be tossed onto rocky desert ground, and easily lashed to the tops of racks, or hung in trees... The platypus bags don't stand up to heavy use like this in my experience.

If you plan on touring in places where you need 3-4 days water at a time, I would seriously consider 2 four-liter MSR bags. One 6L bag, plus two frame bottles will last me 4 days in the desert, (cooking, drinking, and only minor cleaning). If you need less water, simply leave the bag half full...

great bit of kit in my opinion.
Old 03-11-10, 11:17 AM
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
MSR Dromedary bags are what the cyclotourist wants. tough enough to simply strap to the rack and panniers, get 2 4 liter, or a 10 liter size for the desert, put it on the back rack - you will appreciate it.
Old 03-11-10, 11:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yep,
2 4L bags, one in the bottom of each front pannier is also a great way to carry the weight offroad... nice and stable. I usually put my one 6L bag in a front pan, or in a large saddlebag under my saddle depending on what else I am carrying and whether I can balance the front end.
Old 03-11-10, 11:49 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
I've used: MSR dromedary bags, Sea to Summit bag and Platypus. All seem to do what is necessary.

I've generally used combinations of smaller bags to load things up. For example, when cycling around Australia I carried up to 18L of water with the following "loading sequence":

- 3 bottles on bike = 2L
- camelbak = 3L, 5L total
- 2 normal water bottles in pannier = 3L, 8L total
- second bladder in camelbak = 3L, 11L total
- sea-to-summit bag = 4L, 15L total
- miscellaneous bottles bought and put in panniers = 3L, 18L total

On a different trip across Russia, my cycling partner had a 10L MSR bag and I had a 4L MSR bag. We used the 10L just for the last kilometers before camping. Worked well there, but I'd generally find a collection of many smaller bags worked better than one large 10L bag.
Old 03-11-10, 12:40 PM

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I like the idea of a couple of 4 liter bags. Will take a look at the options along those lines. I think 3 caged bottles and a gallon in bags will be adequate for this trip, but 2 four liter bags will allow me more reserve. Better too much than too little.

Better not be any 8% grades on this ride. That's a lot of weight. 'Course I could lose 15 lbs before starting to compensate. Nah.
Old 03-11-10, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
This is not too far OT-- We made this insulated liner to go into one my front panniers. We were riding in +100F weather, and could not keep food or water cool. On a rest day in Cody , Wyo, we went over to Wal Mart and got a blue camp pad and a roll of duct tape. It works well, especially if you can get some ice at a convenience store or gas station during the day. It also keeps cheese from getting too slimy. I've since replaced these panniers, but fabricated a liner for my new ones.

Placing water containers on top of the racks or where they are exposed to the sun makes for good shower water but poor drinking water.

Old 03-23-10, 12:18 PM

Bikes: Trek 520 touring, Trek 5200 road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did something similar to Doug64. I filled up two 2 liter platypus bladders on the days that there was little chance for water refills in the Southern Utah desert. I unrolled my ridge rest pad which I carry on top of my rear rack, laid the bladders on the pad and rolled it back up tight and restrapped it to my rack. Kept the water cooler than if they had been in the sun.
Old 03-23-10, 01:05 PM
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone used the Ortlieb water bag?