Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Knee pain...I think its the Fibular Collateral Ligament

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 03-11-10, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, new to the forum. Recently, I've been plagued by knee pain after a bike workout. It never hurts while I'm riding, but begins to hurt about 12 hours later. The pain is located at the back part of the knee, and radiates toward the outside of the knee. I'm pretty sure its the Fibular Collateral Ligament which runs into the knee and exits toward the outside of the bottom of the knee and not the Bicep Femoris Tendon which runs along the outside of the knee.

Can anyone figure out what is causing this? Its frustrating, I usually have to take a week off of bike training each time this happens. I read that it may be caused by cranking at a high gear when there is a lot of resistance. Yesterday I did a 20 mile easy ride with very low resistance and woke up this morning with intense pain in my knees again. Any advice?
Old 03-11-10, 09:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You didn't mention how long you have been cycling? I can think of two things.
1. Bike fit.
2. Cleats(if you use) are more towards toes.
--regards, Praveen
Old 03-12-10, 04:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike Fit? I've been thinking about that. Praveen, I'm more of a runner, but recently have tried to change things up a bit and have been working-out on my bike and took more of a liking to it. I've probably been riding consistently for about 2 weeks. I would ride occasionally before, and never experienced the pain at the back of the knee until now.
Old 03-13-10, 12:51 AM
Faster than yesterday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's difficult to diagnose exactly which structure is injured from such a description. These things are not neatly arranged in two dimensions, and many structures overlap each other in joints.

The general recommendation for popliteal discomfort is to lower the saddle some, and see if that helps. If not, you could have more complex biomechanical issues that a knowledgeable person needs to see and diagnose. If the knee is not stable and tracking smoothly, it will cause unwanted stress on the soft tissues.

Since you've increased your bike volume, any mechanical flaws will have been magnified. I can run a little with no lasting issues, but my ugly gait (probably from ugly feet) gives me hell with any real volume.
Old 03-19-10, 10:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi Brain3613, keep us posted of diagnosis. --regards, Praveen
Old 03-21-10, 08:54 PM

Bikes: Scott scale 29er, Gary fisher Rig SS 29er, Fuji Cross pro, Novara Randonee, Scattante TI custom build, Fuji Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
its not your LCL/Fibular collateral ligament.

end of story.

look at an anatomy book. locate the distal Iliotibial band. Go see a doctor rather than bike forums
Old 03-21-10, 09:41 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.cptips.com/knee2.htm

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

I would definitely build up the tolerance in your knees at a slower rate.

Last edited by $ick3nin.vend3t; 03-21-10 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-26-10, 03:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would agree that it is most likely not your LCL or as you called it by a lesser used vernacular, Fibular Collateral Ligament. I would wager you either have Iliotibial Band Syndrome, or Biceps Femoris long head tendonitis. Btw your reason for it not being the Biceps femoris tendon is null and void because both the LCL and Biceps femoris tendon have insertions upon the Fibular Head.

Want to a quick little test? Place your thumb just superior to your femoral lateral epicondyle and apply a moderate pressure. Then while maintaining the pressure, extend and flex at the knee a few times... Does this reproduce your pain or cause an increase in pain? If so this is a + Nobles Compression test (modified a little) for Iliotibial Band Friction Syndrome.

What do I recommend? Go to a sports medicine clinic and see an Athletic Trainer/Physical Therapist, or an orthopedic physician. Stray away from general practitioners as generally have very limited musculoskeletal experience/knowledge beyond fractures...You may have to general physician first to get an orthopedic referral though...
Old 03-26-10, 11:27 AM
Banned

Bikes: Giant Rapid 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by milnerpt
its not your LCL/Fibular collateral ligament.

end of story.

look at an anatomy book. locate the distal Iliotibial band. Go see a doctor rather than bike forums
I agree 100% ESPECIALLY since you also mention that you are a runner. When I was rehabbing my ACL reconstruction, I saw several people coming into PT on CRUTCHES becaues that is how much pain their IT Band was causing them. Proper treatment had them fixed up relatively quickly.
Old 03-29-10, 04:33 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://autobus.cyclingnews.com/fitne.../knee_injuries
Old 04-02-10, 12:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could also be an injury to the post portion of the meniscus. Agree with the above suggestions to get a professional evaluation. Might save you much time and pain to get a diagnosis ASAP