Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

My 2009 Kona Sutra build journal

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-10, 04:01 PM
Bike addict, dreamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've started putting together my touring bike based on Kona Sutra 2009 frame. I'll keep a journal here for those interested.

Wheels (building them myself):

Rims: Mavic A719, 36h
Front hub: Shimano HB-M756 XT, 36h
Rear hub: Shimano FH-M756 XT, 36h
Spokes: 2mm DT Alpine 3
Nipples: 2mm/12mm DT Swiss, brass

Cane Creek S3 Headset
Modolo Yuma Traveller Multi Position Hybrid Bars
No stem yet - temporary stem on pictures, tube not cut yet
No casette yet, probably Deore 9sp, 11-34
Shimano midrange 9sp chain
Truvativ Isoflow crank, 22/32/44t
Truvativ BB
Shimano Deore M590 FD and RD, shifters and brake levers
Avid BB7 brakes
Kalloy Seatpost
No tires yet, haven't decided, Schwalbe or Continental touring tires

I haven't decided on racks and bags yet, it'll depend on the budget. Saddle will be most likely Brooks B17 and leather handlebar tape. I haven't decided yet if they'll be black to keep with the color scheme or brown.

It'll be several weeks before it's done. If it works out all right, I'll build a smaller one for my wife too I hope to spend few weeks touring around NY state and it'll also be my weekend bike.

Edit: I just ordered:

- Shimano Deore CS-M510 Cassette 11-34
- Brooks B17 Narrow Saddle
- Salsa Gel Cork tape, dark brown,embossed, I think it'll look nice
- Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tires 700x32
- Dimension Adjustable stem, 130mm
- Planet Bike Cascadia Hybrid/Tour Fenders 700c

Better quality pictures will follow later.

Cheers!

Adam

Last edited by AdamDZ; 03-13-10 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-13-10, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
wow this is going to be one fantastic looking bike.definitel'y the way to do it you get so much more enjoyment
in building it yourself.mind the paintwork no scratches.
Old 03-13-10, 06:05 PM

Bikes: soma double cross DC, giant reign

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the alien green! Have fun with the build.
Old 03-13-10, 07:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
where did you find the Modolo Yuma Traveller Multi Position Hybrid Bars?

I have the Nashbar version, but link the look/bend on the Modolo better.
Old 03-13-10, 07:14 PM
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by antokelly
wow this is going to be one fantastic looking bike.definitel'y the way to do it you get so much more enjoyment
in building it yourself.mind the paintwork no scratches.
Originally Posted by pasopia
I love the alien green! Have fun with the build.
It's a actually more subdued green, apple green, it came out like this due to the lightning and the picture was taken with a webcam. The first picture is the closest.

Yup, I'm enjoying it. I decided to go with brown Brooks saddle and brown cork Salsa bar tape. Everything else is black.

Originally Posted by VT_Speed_TR
where did you find the Modolo Yuma Traveller Multi Position Hybrid Bars?

I have the Nashbar version, but link the look/bend on the Modolo better.
Yeah, after lots of looking around I decided to get the "real thing" from UK. It was $64 shipped from https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/.

Can't wait to ride it! If all goes well it should be ready in two weeks, sans racks and panniers, those will come last.

Adam
Old 03-13-10, 07:19 PM

Bikes: A little of everything

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm glad to see the straight-up MTB drivetrain- It makes me feel more 'normal', as I did the same on my road touring build. I will say, however, that I initially installed a 32-toothed cassette, and found that I couln't even keep the bike upright at 22x32. I didnt need an 11, so I landed on a 12x26 with a 48/32/22 (wouldve used a 44 if I had one around), and I really enjoyed it.
Old 03-13-10, 07:20 PM

Bikes: Wabi Classic fixed, Raleigh Sojourn, Xootr Swift folder

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you buy the Kona Sutra as a frameset?
Old 03-13-10, 07:41 PM
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiden
I'm glad to see the straight-up MTB drivetrain- It makes me feel more 'normal', as I did the same on my road touring build. I will say, however, that I initially installed a 32-toothed cassette, and found that I couln't even keep the bike upright at 22x32. I didnt need an 11, so I landed on a 12x26 with a 48/32/22 (wouldve used a 44 if I had one around), and I really enjoyed it.
Yes, the plan was to go all MTB from the beginning to have good gearing and avoid compatibility issues, and a handlebar that could accept rapid fire MTB shifters. So I had my eyes on the touring/trekking bars from the start too. Drop bars would be useless for me, never liked them, but this one is sweet. Sutra is meant to be built up with MTB parts since the rear dropout is 135mm.

I'm not sure about the gearing, I have no experience to rely upon, we'll see.

Originally Posted by andmalc
I bought this one on eBay for $320 shipped including fork. It's new, came in Kona factory packaging so I guess it's possible to buy one in retail. However, this is the 2009 model, I haven't found any 2010 framesets. Although I don't like the 2010 brown color anyway. I couldn't make up my mind about which frame to get but since I wanted disc brakes and a good deal I went with Sutra. All other frames I considered were twice as much.

Thanks for the comments

Adam
Old 03-13-10, 07:44 PM
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mmm candy!

Though i haven't seen the 2010 brown in person yet i will have to see... the granny smith green is nice
Old 03-13-10, 07:51 PM
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
Mmm candy!

Though i haven't seen the 2010 brown in person yet i will have to see... the granny smith green is nice
A BF member posted a nice 2010 Sutra Review.
Old 03-13-10, 08:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why did you decide on that tire width? From the looks of it, your setting the bike up to be an offroad capable touring bike but the tire width is only 32mm. To me that seems to be on the skinny side for serious off road with a load. Granted those rims could hold a 44mm tire but why wouldn't you use a 721 rim to take advantage of wider tires. I think you'll have a good looking bike when you're done and I especially like the green color. I came very close to buying a Major Jake as a knock around bike but decided to put the money in my touring bike instead.
Old 03-13-10, 10:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice. Enjoy.
Old 03-14-10, 06:35 AM
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikearound
Why did you decide on that tire width? From the looks of it, your setting the bike up to be an offroad capable touring bike but the tire width is only 32mm. To me that seems to be on the skinny side for serious off road with a load. Granted those rims could hold a 44mm tire but why wouldn't you use a 721 rim to take advantage of wider tires. I think you'll have a good looking bike when you're done and I especially like the green color. I came very close to buying a Major Jake as a knock around bike but decided to put the money in my touring bike instead.
It'll be mainly ridden on paved roads, at least in the beginning. This is my first touring bike, and I'll tour for the first time this year, so I'm sure I'll have to make some adjustments later on.

Originally Posted by iforgotmename
Very nice. Enjoy.
Thanks!

Adam
Old 03-14-10, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
On the rack and panniers subject, I just put a Tubus Disco on my Sutra and it fit OK. Had to use a few spacers on the left side. I've heard that the braze-ons at the rear are weak, so I liked the idea of using a skewer for mounting the rack instead.

Picked up a set of Arkel T42s yesterday, they're brilliant! But heavy. Real heavy.
Old 03-14-10, 11:02 AM

Bikes: A little of everything

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a much cheaper option, I ran a Topeak disc-compatible rear rack on my bike- its a tough rack, and there's a ton of room between it and the frame/wheel. Not sure how its weight compares to the Tubus, however.
Old 03-14-10, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikearound
Doesn't matter what tire width the rims can hold. It's what the frame is willing to accept.
Old 03-14-10, 12:29 PM
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Topeak Super Tourist on my commuter bike, it has extra clearance for disk brakes, lower side rails for panniers, and it's made of hollow aluminum tubing I like it, but I don't know how tough it is. I'm thinking about getting that one for the Sutra as well. I know Tubus is the best but a bit pricey and I won't be going on any epic expeditions any time soon.

I was also looking at Arkel panniers, a bit less expensive than Ortlieb.
Old 03-14-10, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
I have a Topeak Super Tourist on my commuter bike, it has extra clearance for disk brakes, lower side rails for panniers, and it's made of hollow aluminum tubing I like it, but I don't know how tough it is. I'm thinking about getting that one for the Sutra as well. I know Tubus is the best but a bit pricey and I won't be going on any epic expeditions any time soon.

I was also looking at Arkel panniers, a bit less expensive than Ortlieb.
I looked at the Ortliebs a lot, in fact I took months to arrive at this decision, initially assuming I would get the Ortliebs. For me, I think the Arkels have a much better attachment system and I like the better organization - more pockets. I couldn't get over the fact that I would have to add little spacers to the upper hooks of the Ortliebs to fit onto my rack properly. It seemed like those would eventually wear and get loose, and then lost.

What I did finally was go down to a LBS which had both, and had a salesperson help me mount both several times. Once I did that, it was a no-brainer - the Arkels just seemed better engineered. But I know that many people are very happy with their Ortliebs.
Old 03-14-10, 02:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mijome07
Doesn't matter what tire width the rims can hold. It's what the frame is willing to accept.
Agreed....I assumed the frame could take a larger than 32mm tire.
Old 03-14-10, 06:53 PM
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, it looks like it can clear a 40mm tire

I can't believe it! Earlier today, I found a complete 2009 Kona Sutra 49cm on Craig's List for my wife, mint condition, with fenders, got it for $800 I'll swap the handlebar, shifters, brake levers, BB, crankset and FD (I don't like the stock setup with drop bars, roadie FD and bar-end shifters).

Awesome! We should be able to hit the road in April on twin bikes, well minor cosmetic differences! Wow, two bikes to work on, me happy

Adam
Old 03-19-10, 09:16 AM
Bike Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andmalc
Yes, as I understand it, only dealers/shops can order framesets (excluding frames Kona normally sells, such as the Kapu and the Rat).

However, you see Kona framesets come up on ebay and craigslist all the time, so they do percolate down to the masses. Sellwood Cycle Repair in Portland often has new and used Kona frames in stock.
Old 03-20-10, 06:00 PM
Old & Tired

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike. Do those rims has a braking surface? If so, why did you go that route instead of disc-specific rims?
Old 03-22-10, 07:11 PM
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Weaklink
Nice bike. Do those rims has a braking surface? If so, why did you go that route instead of disc-specific rims?
According to many BF members they're one of the strongest rims available for touring, and they can be used with both rim and disc brakes. I'd prefer all-black rims, but I couldn't find these in all-black. I'd have to go with something like A317. But I wanted the peace of mind knowing I have really good rims.

There is a slight delay in this project due to delays in shipping. I should have all the parts this week so the work will resume next weekend So there will be more pictures coming!

Adam
Old 03-26-10, 07:16 PM
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, an update on work in progress

Here is an update with lots of pictures I should be able to ride it this weekend to test it. I regret that I didn't buy a larger frame, it looks like this may be a bit too small (56cm). But it seems to fit OK.

I used skewers with hex socket heads instead of quick release:

Here is the patient on the stand, wheels are complete, no fenders and no chain yet, I know I'm not supposed to clamp to the frame but it was very light, it was basically hanging on it, while I installed the seatpost:

Handlebar with shifters (Shimano SL-M590) and Deore brake levers mounted and cables attached, Dimension 130mm adjustable stem, Cane Creek S3 headset:

A closeup of the handlebar:

Front view of the handlebar:

Continued in the next post...

Last edited by AdamDZ; 03-26-10 at 07:50 PM.
Old 03-26-10, 07:18 PM
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update, continued...

Crankset, Truvativ Isoflow 22/32/44t, Deore FD-M590 FD, Sinz platform pedals, chain installed:

Deore M590 RD and Deore CS-M510 11-34 cassette:

I'm not sure what to to about this. I don't want to cut the cable but I can't run it through the eyelets, I don't want to drill them so for now the cable will be attached to the top tube with zip ties, not a very elegant solution:

Applying Nashbar Gel Pads to the handlebar:

And here is the handlebar after getting wrapped with Salsa cork tape, comfy as a pillow:

This is how the front fender is mounted, note the bent fender struts to fit around the disc caliper, someone asked in another thread how to do that. The fender struts are long enough to be bent and still reach the bolts and be safely tightened. These are Planet Bike Cascadia Hybrid/Tour Fenders, no clearance problems with Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700/32 tires, fatter tires might present a problem though:

A close up of that (Avid BB7 brakes), no interference with the caliper lever:

The rear fender mount:

And a closeup of that, only one strut required bending, same deal: no interference with the caliper lever:

Here is the state of the bike at end of the day today: fenders mounted, handlebar wrapped, saddle just attached for fitting I haven't treated it yet, it's rideable, brakes and derailleurs are adjusted so it's ready for a spin:

Last edited by AdamDZ; 03-31-10 at 11:00 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.