Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

OU Interval question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-10, 08:38 PM
sittin' in

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OU Interval question

In Carmichaels book he has a Over/Under Interval workout described as: 3x9 minute OU (2 under, 1 over) 6 minute RBI.

I get that the "unders" are done at SS intensity and the "overs" are done at CR (climbing repeats) but I am having a hard time understanding how this interval is structured. Am I correct in assuming you would do 6 minutes at SS then immediately ramp to CR intensity for 3 minutes before resting for 6 minutes (repeat 3 times)?

It gets even more confusing when another workout calls for 3x10 min OU (3U,2O) (6 min RBI). How is this even possible when every OU interval is supposed to end on a "over".

Thanks for any clarification you can offer.

Last edited by aggro_jo; 03-18-10 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-18-10, 08:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3x9 OU (2 under, 1 over) 6 min. RBI (Rest Between Sets) would look like: 4 min. SS followed by 1 min. CR followed by 4 min. SS. That is 1 set. Rest for 6 min. do another set. Rest for 6 min. Do another set for a total of 3 sets.

3x10 min (3U, 2O) (6 min RBI) would look like: 2min. SS, 2min. CR, 2min. SS, 2min. CR, 2min. SS=1 Set. Rest 6 min. Set 2. Rest 6 min. Set 3.

I read the book but decided not to follow it. But I believe the workouts should go like that.
Old 03-19-10, 12:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gios78
3x9 OU (2 under, 1 over) 6 min. RBI (Rest Between Sets) would look like: 4 min. SS followed by 1 min. CR followed by 4 min. SS. That is 1 set. Rest for 6 min. do another set. Rest for 6 min. Do another set for a total of 3 sets.

3x10 min (3U, 2O) (6 min RBI) would look like: 2min. SS, 2min. CR, 2min. SS, 2min. CR, 2min. SS=1 Set. Rest 6 min. Set 2. Rest 6 min. Set 3.

I read the book but decided not to follow it. But I believe the workouts should go like that.
I haven't read the book, but this doesn't sound right to me. (way too few work intervals in the first set).

I'm guessing that the 2 under, 1 over refers to the time at the under/over pace, not the number of intervals at the pace, so:
3x9OU(2U, 1O) would be: 2 minutes under, 1 minute over, 2 minutes under, 1 minute over, 2 minutes under, 1 minute over, rest 6 minutes - repeat two more times.

Your second set would be:
3 x 10min (3u, 2 o) would be: 3 minutes under, 2 minutes over, 3 minutes under, 2 minutes over, rest 6 minutes, repeat 2 more times.

(It's possible that the set would start at the over interval, because I'm not sure how much sense it makes to start with the steady state).
Old 03-19-10, 07:15 AM
sittin' in

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ulrichw
I haven't read the book, but this doesn't sound right to me. (way too few work intervals in the first set).

I'm guessing that the 2 under, 1 over refers to the time at the under/over pace, not the number of intervals at the pace, so:
3x9OU(2U, 1O) would be: 2 minutes under, 1 minute over, 2 minutes under, 1 minute over, 2 minutes under, 1 minute over, rest 6 minutes - repeat two more times.

3 x 10min (3u, 2 o) would be: 3 minutes under, 2 minutes over, 3 minutes under, 2 minutes over, rest 6 minutes, repeat 2 more times.

(It's possible that the set would start at the over interval, because I'm not sure how much sense it makes to start with the steady state).
That totally makes sense. Thanks to both of you for your input.
Old 03-19-10, 07:36 AM

Bikes: 2 cdale Caad7. Scatantte CX/winter bike. SS commuter.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ulrichw

this is also how I would interpret that jibbajabba.

might be possible to do this with 2 other teammates on a flat course, each rider taking 1 minute pulls and sitting in for 2 minutes @ SS.