Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Another Wheel Thread

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Another Wheel Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-10, 10:35 AM
Velophile

Bikes: See Signature.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Another Wheel Thread

Anyone have a good wheel recommendation for less than $250?

Here are my riding preferences...

95% commuting
2.5% short tours
2.5% long tours

I have a distance bike for other rides so i'm hoping for a nice wheelset that is sturdy without being extremely heavy and possibly capable of mild off-road (iron-horse trail).

My bike is a cross check so i have tons of clearance and the hub spacing won't matter.

Or should i just move my mavic aksiums over and buy a nice wheelset for my Roubaix ? I wouldn't mind carrying the funny spokes and i've toured on them once in the San Juans.
Old 03-19-10, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mavic A 719's seem to be very popular with DT spokes (32 or 36 spoke) XT hubs. I have EX721 rims w/ CK hubs on my LHT but those won't fit your budget. Just a suggestion, check BeyondBikes.com or ColoradoCyclist.com <- both of these places offer good deals on wheelsets. I bought mine from Beyond Bikes and while I had to wait a week for a back order (CK hubs) they made up for it with customer service, ate the shipping and they built me an excellent set of wheels.
Old 03-19-10, 12:00 PM
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a screaming deal on 36h XT hubs from AEBike.com to go with Velocity Dyad rims. I got the rims from Airbomb, but I don't recommend dealing there. I'm building them up with DT Competition butted spokes from Jenson.

I chose the Dyads over 719s because I don't carry a 50 lb tour load and I wanted to save some rotating weight.

I got the XT's because they're light enough, very strong and serviceable just about anywhere, and they don't scream "STEAL ME". They do everything I wanted except for having sealed bearings, and that was not high on the priority list.
Old 03-19-10, 02:04 PM
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my mavic a719s on ebay from rockymountaincyclery. Once I got them I took them into the shop to hqve them looked over and tensioned, and they have been great since, commuting, fully loaded touring, and regular road rides. They were around 250 too.
Old 03-19-10, 10:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Epicus07
Anyone have a good wheel recommendation for less than $250?

Here are my riding preferences...

95% commuting
2.5% short tours
2.5% long tours

I have a distance bike for other rides so i'm hoping for a nice wheelset that is sturdy without being extremely heavy and possibly capable of mild off-road (iron-horse trail).

My bike is a cross check so i have tons of clearance and the hub spacing won't matter.

Or should i just move my mavic aksiums over and buy a nice wheelset for my Roubaix ? I wouldn't mind carrying the funny spokes and i've toured on them once in the San Juans.
I just bought these for my Cross Check - a CR18/105 wheelset from Velo Orange. I believe I got a great deal on them: $195 + c. $25 S/H. I would have paid about that much to build them myself. They are handbuilt by wheelmaster. I'm not sure who wheelmaster is, but they are perfectly round and true, and they have DT Swiss 14 g spokes.

At the same time, I also replaced my brake pads (changing to the salmon Kool Stops), the chain, the cassette, and the rear derailleur pulleys.

I've got about 200 miles on these new wheels and they feel great! I'm a clyde, and I wouldn't have any hesitation touring on them.
Old 03-20-10, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
I would go for one nice rear wheel build and cobble together any old front wheel. Maybe a PeterWhite built 36 hole synergy OC on an LX hub.
Old 03-22-10, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I got these for under $150 shipped. Hand built and straight as an arrow. They come stock on some 29er bikes, so they must be pretty tough.