Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

650B tire sources?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-10, 05:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
650B tire sources?

I'm looking for some non-knobby, 650B tires for my Norwegian bike project, and I'm hoping the randonneur's might know where to find them.

This is not a touring or long-distance bike, it just happens to have oddball wheels. Ideally, they'd be whitewalls, or all-whites, but I don't know if I'll get to be that choosy.

Here's the bike (pre tear-down) for those interested:

(this is a bit of a cross-post with the Bike Mech section)
Old 03-30-10, 05:24 PM
just pokin' along

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Grand Bois Hetre is a higher quality tire that is available in 650b X 42 with a white tread. You didn't mention your budget.

Go halfway down this page to see the Hetre: https://www.vintagebicyclepress.com/Tires.html
Old 03-30-10, 05:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whoah! Those are nice looking.....but yeah, that price.
Well, if the tires cost $130, that puts me at a grand total of $140 for the project, since I've only spent about $10 in grease and bearings. I love basement-finds.
Old 03-30-10, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you sure these are 650B wheels and not 650A's. They are not interchangeable. What frame is that you've got there?

The Hetres are wonderful tires and worth the money. An excellent inexpensive all-arounder 650B tire is the Panaracer Col de Vies... about $35 a piece. You can find them from most good online bike retailers.

Last edited by greaterbrown; 03-30-10 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-30-10, 09:46 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by greaterbrown
Are you sure these are 650B wheels and not 650A's. They are not interchangeable. What frame is that you've got there?.
No, I'm not 100% sure they're 650B. The sidewall reads: 26 x 1 5/8 x 1 1/2
No shop or catalog seems to have such a match, and since the only tires I have lying around are 700c at the moment, I can't test fit any 26'ers.
I did perform Sheldon Brown's wheel-size circumference test (measure bead-set circumference, check on Sheldon's chart) and my 72.2" measurement lands right on the 650B.

The frame is a DBS (Der Besse Sycle or something like that, basically translates to The Best Cycle). It's a Norwegian "Huffy" from what I've read. Straight, non-tapered steel tubing, many aluminum parts -- rims, spokes, fenders, hubs, full chain guard, even the front drum brake -- and a sweet pump drawer on the chromed steel rack. Single speed with coaster in the rear, and a drum on the front.
Old 03-30-10, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, nice rescue. The front drum brake is working? Cool paint job too.
I just did a googleshopping search and there's some cheapie online retailers selling col de la vies for <$20
That'd be worth it to buy one and test. Good luck and post pics when you get her rollin'
Old 03-30-10, 11:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, the drum is a pretty simple design. Springs were all good, pads had plenty of meat on them. I just sanded down the surface of the pads to get all the grease and grime off them. I've been cleaning and re-packing all bearing sets, and shining up all the chrome and aluminum. I'm leaving the paint, since it has a nice worn-in patina, and very cool original details.
Thanks for all the help! I'll make a post when I get her on the road (maybe in a week if I can find tires).
Old 03-31-10, 12:33 PM

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Rivendel sells them