Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Coaches

Old 03-30-10, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coaches

How many of you have a personal coach?

I am strongly considering to get one (Going rate is $200/month here).
.. and basically what i'll get is a couple hrs/month 1 on 1 with coach to discuss things, access to phone/email him, and of course a monthly plan designed.

If you have a coach, is this basically what you get?
I am looking for a structured training plan, thus the lookout for a coach... But also as a Cat. 5 - do you think i really need one? Or would you just recommend riding lots (Which i can definitely do, but i think i'll improve 100% more with a coach).

Any experiences, things to look out for, etc??
I appreciate it.
Old 03-30-10, 10:37 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You will probably improve more/faster with a coach but if you are relatively new, ask yourself if you really want that much structure right now or if you just want to do some exploring on your own and have some fun first.

I've started working with a coach this season and it's been going well so far. My goals are different this season so I can't really compare directly.

What you describe is basically what I get, but my coach is local so he is also on some of the rides with me and so I get more instant feedback and he can see directly how/what I am doing.
Old 03-30-10, 10:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
You will probably improve more/faster with a coach but if you are relatively new, ask yourself if you really want that much structure right now or if you just want to do some exploring on your own and have some fun first.

I've started working with a coach this season and it's been going well so far. My goals are different this season so I can't really compare directly.

What you describe is basically what I get, but my coach is local so he is also on some of the rides with me and so I get more instant feedback and he can see directly how/what I am doing.
Awesome.
.. yea my coach would be local as well, and seems like a really rad guy. Would be riding together the odd time, + in-house monthly testing to see improvement, and what can be tweaked etc...

I am relatively new, but really want to excel in racing. Last year i did nothing but long group rides, and solo rides etc...
Even if i go out on my own will, i get a whole lot more out of not going for distance (per-say), but rather pushing myself, doing intervals, etc..
This is kind of where my idea of going for a coach comes in.

How did you structure yourself to cat 3 w/o a coach? Did you plan your own weeks out, or just do what you felt like that day?
Do you regret not getting a coach sooner?
Old 03-30-10, 11:30 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I started riding it was just for fun and fitness. I resisted racing for a while because I didn't want to have to "train." When I started racing I had a huge base but got dropped in races because I couldn't handle surges and didn't understand positioning, cornering, and other important techniques. I had good fitness, it was just a matter of the learning the racing stuff and doing more race-oriented training. Just doing a bunch of races takes care of a lot of that. I never really did super-structured training but I incorporated a lot of concepts from the training books and on here, albeit rather haphazardly.

I resisted getting a coach for a while because I knew that I wouldn't be able to do a lot of the stuff that I liked to do. I didn't really want to deal with all the structure. But I was gradually adding more and more structure anyway, and I found out in December that a local pro that I really respected had started doing coaching, so I got in touch with him, we met and talked, and he started putting together a training plan for me. It was hard to give up some of the rides that I loved doing but I've gotten over it and don't really think about it anymore. I actually enjoy a lot of my new routines. But I don't regret not getting a coach sooner because I enjoyed that unstructured time, and I like that I have a good idea of what works and doesn't work for me, he just helps me focus it.
Old 03-30-10, 11:34 PM
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Coaches are always telling you what to do.
Old 03-31-10, 12:24 AM
Does Not Exist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Before getting coach, read "The Cyclist's Training Bible" by Friel. Most training plans are some variation of what's in that book. You may be able to design your own training plan. Even if you get a coach later, it will give you a better idea of why you do certain workouts.

If you want to excel at racing, you definitely should buy a powermeter, and "Training and Racing with a Powermeter." Powermeters make tracking fitness improvements and logging your workouts very convenient.
Old 03-31-10, 06:24 AM
bf is my facebook.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can find a lot of the same info that most coaches will tell you in books & on these forums. My main reason for getting a coach was 1) felt like a hit a plateau, 2) want to be a 3 by end of season, & 3) I wanted to be held accountable. It's a lot harder to tell someone I'm paying that I slacked off for the week. If you have tons of disposable income, go ahead & get the coach. If not, race your 1st season, find out what your limiters are, have fun, & get a coach when you stop progressing. My $.02
Old 03-31-10, 09:00 AM
Nerd

Bikes: Cervelo R3 SL, Cervelo P2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on your personality. Some people enjoy figuring out their own plans.

I got a powertap and coach as soon as I decided to race. I had read The Cyclists Training Bible but I am not the type who enjoys the planning part, although I do like data. My coach figures out my ftp and sets my training plan for me. He also helps me with race strategy and analysis.

I find myself less likely to skip a training ride, simply because I am paying someone to make a plan, and am "accountable" to that person.

For me, it's worth it.
Old 03-31-10, 10:43 AM
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Not all coaches are the same. Shop around a bit before committing. Ask open ended stuff like "I'm a Cat 5 looking to do XYZ, what kind of plan would you set up for me?" I know folks who have had a broad spectrum of experiences.
Old 03-31-10, 03:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great advice, everyone...

Thanks, but i decided to go through with it.
I know for a fact that id slack off a lot without someone looking over my shoulder.

I am dedicated to the sport, but i decided a coach is the best bet.
Next week im getting a bunch of tests done, getting the plan worked out and then ill be rockin.