Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Fuji Cross

Old 08-24-04, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fuji Cross

Hey guys,
I know I was considering the Bianchi Axis earlier, but now I'm looking at the Fuji Cross. From past threads on this forum and others, the Fuji looks like a great buy and pretty nice bike. I am a Fuji dealer, so I'm definitley intersted.

Any thoughts?

I need to sell another bike before buying it, but I'm pretty confident on this.

Another question,

What exactly defies cyclocross trails? Like can you drop off curbs on a bike with a carbon fork and be ok?

Byron
Old 08-24-04, 09:19 PM

Bikes: Cannondale R600, Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The paint on the 04 Cross is beautiful, plus Fuji is king of bang for your buck.
Old 08-24-04, 09:31 PM
Direct Hit Not Required

Bikes: Leopard DC1, Ridley X-Fire, GT Zaskar 9r

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by B1105
Hey guys,
I know I was considering the Bianchi Axis earlier, but now I'm looking at the Fuji Cross. From past threads on this forum and others, the Fuji looks like a great buy and pretty nice bike. I am a Fuji dealer, so I'm definitley intersted.

Any thoughts?

I need to sell another bike before buying it, but I'm pretty confident on this.

Another question,

What exactly defies cyclocross trails? Like can you drop off curbs on a bike with a carbon fork and be ok?

Byron
If I didn't already have a Bianchi Axis, I'd definitely consider the Fuji. I like their traditional geometry and they give you a lot for their list price.
The carbon forks can take a fair amount of beating. I've gotten some sizable air on my Axis. Just make sure you land properly and you'll be OK, i.e. land with both wheels and absorb the shock with your arms and legs.
Old 08-24-04, 09:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sweet thanks guys,
I'm just selling some mtb stuff now and trials shiz before buying it. Think I should wait for the 2005s or try and get a deal on the 04?
Old 08-25-04, 04:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What size would I be? I'm about 5'8-9"ish and can get the 04' model pretty cheap, but only in 52cm. I can also get the 05' one in any size for a bit more.

Personally, I like the specs of the 04' better, and the paintjob. The 05' has a few nicer components, but the color is kinda ugly and seemed almost like a downgrade.
Old 08-25-04, 04:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just compared the geos of my road bike and the 52 and 54cm cross. I ride a 2001 Bianchi SL3 Frame 55cm.

My bianchi has:
538 actual tt
550 effective tt
31" standover height
The 52cm Fuji has
529 actual tt
535.3 effective tt
30.3" standover

The 54cm has
547.3 actual tt
551.3 effective tt
30.9" standover

It seems like the 52cm is a better fit, since theres a 1" difference in standover height. Do cross bikes generally have shorter top tubes? My current bike seems quite a bit longer than the 52cm version in terms of tt length
Old 08-26-04, 10:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do think is a good price for a 2004 Cross that a bike shop has in stock? One LBS, Performance, has it marked down to $989 in my size (52). Is that a bit high ?
Old 08-26-04, 04:44 PM

Bikes: trek - lemond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like can you drop off curbs on a bike with a carbon fork and be ok?

You own a bike shop, maybe you can afford it.

Bunny Hop, a mountain bike trick. A little wheelly, lift the front tire up, over the curb. Push down, and the rear tire will rise up, over the curb. Tirew should never touch the curb, done properly

Practice on grass, with a 2 x 4, what ever, until it gets ez.

Google Hans Rey, and become amazed.
Old 08-30-04, 09:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just bought an 04 Cross from Performance in Chicago (Mark Dodge the mgr there was great) for $899. I basically swapped out the 105 shifters for some ultegras (ended up costing me about 20 bucks more) and added some Crank Bros Candy pedals. I love this thing. My local Bianchi dealer (Big Shark, St. Louis) wanted $50 OVER retail ($1350) and wouldn't budge one cent. I have to say, i got a much better deal.