Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Dynamo lighting sets?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Dynamo lighting sets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-04, 07:57 AM
Glutton for Punishment

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Dynamo lighting sets?

I'm refurbishing a pair of early '70s Raleigh Sports for my sister-in-law and her husband. They bought them new, and when she started having hip trouble they were consigned to the back yard under a tarp. Sis has got shiny, new titanium hips now and they want to ride again.

Both bikes had dynamo light sets, but the dynamo bottle on one was all rusted up. It seems that dynamo sets have pretty much become extinct. Can't find one in any area stores; does anyone still make them? Barring that, how hard would it be to rebuild a dynamo bottle?
Old 08-25-04, 09:28 AM
Year-round cyclist

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would suggest two sources :
- https://sheldonbrown.com/harris for the Shimano Nexus Dynohub, if you want to buy it alone and build the wheel yourself,
- https://peterwhitecycles.com for all your other needs.

Peter White explains fairly well all generator-based lighting options, their advantages and limitations. I would suggest that you take a good look at that and that you replace the dead generator and headlamp with new stuff from Peter White, as it is much better than the old stuff.

You could also search for a few of my posts with "Schmidt" on this forum. I have one bike with a Nexus dynohub and two with a Schmidt dynohub; all three have a Lumotec headlight and I am really satisfied with the system, as well as with the service I got from Peter White. I use a battery taillight, which avoids lots of wiring on the bike.

The B&M bottle generator he sells is a really cheap way to get good lighting without battery concerns.
Old 08-25-04, 09:57 AM
Glutton for Punishment

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
The gear at Peter White's website is mighty impressive, but also mighty expensive and a bit too modern-looking for my application. I'm looking for a light set that would look more or less like what the Raleigh had on it 30 years ago; chrome teardrop headlamp, cast metal dynamo, etc.

I understand they're nowhere near as effective as a modern light set, but I doubt the lights on this bike will see much serious use -- it's more a part of the 'old Raleigh' ambience, like the B72 saddle.
Old 08-25-04, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The Swiss-made Nordlicht dynamo has a shiny chrome classic look. It is also a very efficient modern model.
The one on my touring bike is bolted to a braze-on mounting on the seatstay; this is much more effective than a seatstay clamp mounting and solves most of the ills of bottle dynamos.
Old 08-25-04, 12:17 PM

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Find a bike store that sells used stuff and look for the older Union bottle dynamo sets, I pick these up all the time for less than $10 complete with lamps, they usually work just fine; just spin the bottle first to make sure the bearings are good, you really can't test the output unless you mount it up on a bike first. For replacement bulbs for older Union lamps that use bulbs w/ screw-in bases, I buy from Reflectalight:

https://www.reflectalite.com/halogenpage.html

They've got halogen or regular screw-in bulbs for the old Union lamps (halogens: GH93 or GH106, depending on whether you're also using a dynamo-powered taillight; GV605 is their standard bulb). Reflectalite also sells dynamo regulators so you won't burn bulbs out going fast downhill:

https://www.reflectalite.com/regulater.html

Reflectalight's service and delivery times are excellent.
Old 08-30-04, 01:51 PM

Bikes: 1982 Huiffy 10-speed

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mswantak
The gear at Peter White's website is mighty impressive, but also mighty expensive and a bit too modern-looking for my application. I'm looking for a light set that would look more or less like what the Raleigh had on it 30 years ago; chrome teardrop headlamp, cast metal dynamo, etc.

I understand they're nowhere near as effective as a modern light set, but I doubt the lights on this bike will see much serious use -- it's more a part of the 'old Raleigh' ambience, like the B72 saddle.
check ebay for these light sets--i always see them there...
Old 08-30-04, 02:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by randya
Find a bike store that sells used stuff and look for the older Union bottle dynamo sets, I pick these up all the time for less than $10 complete with lamps, they usually work just fine; just spin the bottle first to make sure the bearings are good, you really can't test the output unless you mount it up on a bike first. For replacement bulbs for older Union lamps that use bulbs w/ screw-in bases, I buy from Reflectalight:

They've got halogen or regular screw-in bulbs for the old Union lamps (halogens: GH93 or GH106, depending on whether you're also using a dynamo-powered taillight; GV605 is their standard bulb). Reflectalite also sells dynamo regulators so you won't burn bulbs out going fast downhill:

https://www.reflectalite.com/regulater.html

Reflectalight's service and delivery times are excellent.
if you find an old union bottle generator, i would like to buy it. i'm looking for a replacement for my old worn out one on my bike that i bought in the 80's. it is a typical aluminum bottle with the name "union" on the black plastic trim over the bracket. HERE IT IS:

Last edited by saturnsc2; 08-30-04 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-30-04, 03:51 PM

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 267 Posts
While you are searching, look for a Sturmey Archer "dynohub" wheel which was the top of the line 6v source for your bikes. They are very long lived. I use one on my winter rain bike to drive a modern Lumotec headlight & it has had no problems for 2 years of heavy use. Don
Old 08-30-04, 06:34 PM
Glutton for Punishment

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by saturnsc2
check ebay for these light sets--i always see them there...
Yup, put bids in on a couple of them. Now the rest of you guys leave 'em alone!

Yesterday I got either brave or stupid, and pulled that rusted dynamo apart. Got everything cleaned, oiled and reassembled, and now she spits out electrons like nobody's business.
Old 08-30-04, 06:52 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If it's put together with screws and bolts, it CAN be disassembled and fixed!!! Congratulations!!!
Old 08-30-04, 10:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ollo_ollo
While you are searching, look for a Sturmey Archer "dynohub" wheel which was the top of the line 6v source for your bikes. They are very long lived. I use one on my winter rain bike to drive a modern Lumotec headlight & it has had no problems for 2 years of heavy use. Don
www.bikeville.com they list a s/a n.o.s. dynohub set like you requested for $120.00
Old 08-31-04, 10:07 AM
Glutton for Punishment

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
For that kind of money I could hire a taxi cab to follow me with his lights on.
Old 08-31-04, 06:31 PM

I bought mine used on e-bay, two for $35.00 total,no shipping cost as they were local. One I built up a wheel for my Centurion ProTour rain bike & traded the other for a perfect Motobecane bar & stem taken off a Grand Record. Mechanic in the LBS told me he had never seen a Dynohub that didn't work, only drawback is they are Heavy as sin. Don
Old 09-02-04, 06:04 AM
OldBikeGuide.com

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
We've got a strong used Sturmey-Archer Dynohub for sale on our site for $30.

Part number Y0DYNO1 on page:

https://oldroads.com/fs_p_eng.html

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles, Inc.
https://OldRoads.com
Old 09-02-04, 06:40 AM
Glutton for Punishment

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Most bottle dynos have an output of 6V, 3W (or .5 amps). What's the output of a Dynohub -- any higher?
Old 09-02-04, 01:11 PM

Dyno hub has the same output. I did have a chance to ride side by side with a friend who has the same Lumotec headlight as mine but powered by a new Schmidt hub generator & we Couldn't discern any apparent difference in light output.
Old 09-06-04, 06:24 AM
OldBikeGuide.com

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Yes, 6 volts on the Sturmey-Archer Dynohub

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles, Inc.
https://OldRoads.com
Old 09-06-04, 07:52 AM
Formerly Known as Newbie

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The only dynamo over 6V / 3W that I know of is the 12V Dymotec S12. For the kind of money needed for an S12 you could hire two taxis to follow you with their headlights on .

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 09-06-04, 08:47 AM
Glutton for Punishment

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Well, I came up with a couple '70s-vintage dynamo light sets at eBay over the weekend, but I'm afraid the experience is turning me into an eBay junkie -- just noticed a gorgeous Brooks B66 saddle...

Here's another dynamo-related question that came up while I was fooling around with the dynamo I rebuilt: Is the wattage in the headlamp bulb supposed to be different if you're also running a taillight? I cobbled up a taillight with another 6V 3W bulb in it and it had a really poor effect on the headlamp. Is it the case that the total wattage of the bulbs has to equal 6?
Old 09-06-04, 09:23 AM
Formerly Known as Newbie

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I believe current systems at least are designed for 3w total. Quite often headlights sold for dynamos come with a 2,4w bulb as standard assuming you then hook up a 0,6w tail light to the system. If you do not, you will be better off replacing the 2,4w bulb with a 3w bulb.

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 09-06-04, 11:56 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Juha
I believe current systems at least are designed for 3w total. Quite often headlights sold for dynamos come with a 2,4w bulb as standard assuming you then hook up a 0,6w tail light to the system. If you do not, you will be better off replacing the 2,4w bulb with a 3w bulb.
This is correct. A total of 3W for all lights connected. That's usually 2.4W head + 0.6W tail or 3.0W head w/o tail.
Old 09-08-04, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe also look for soubitez, I have an old block generator of theirs that will also power a rear light. Here's one on e-bay now (if I post link correctly)- you may have to copy and paste.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Old 09-08-04, 07:19 PM

Soubitez also made a bottom bracket generator that is driven by the rear tire tread. I have one on my Specialized Touring bike, works great even in the rain. Don
Old 09-08-04, 10:35 PM
Glutton for Punishment

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
How about good sources for bulbs for dyno light sets? Neither of the LBS close to me stock them. Radio Shack has a good assortment of bulbs with 9mm threaded bases, but the voltage and wattage ratings aren't precisely right.
Old 09-08-04, 11:45 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Reflectalite. They've got what you need, and their service and delivery time is excellent. They've also got an inexpensive dyno regulator if you're burning bulbs too fast, and other links including a cross index for dyno lamps (check the bottom of the web page).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.