Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Old 07-05-07, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, my name is Melanie and I live in San Francisco, and I am a noob to this site - this is my first posting, and seemed an appropriate place to start!

Please tell us your age.
49 (OK, so I'm cheating - it's not that I'm in a rush to be 50, but I'll get there in a couple opf months, so...)

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?
Buoyed by a sudden wave of nostalgia, I recently got a 1975 Opaque Blue Schwinn Varsity off of ebay, with touring handlebars and a matress style seat. I had a 1968 Campus Green racer style as a kid, so Schwinn has always had a special appeal for me. I forgot what a tank it was!

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
I take Glucosamine "Joint Juice" faithfully, sometimes take a MVI/B supplement/and calcium. I need to
do better with the latter.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?
Yes, and that's exactly why I started riding again. I needed to get into shape, not so much to lose weight, as I am only 15 lbs. over my weight in high school, but to improve cardiovascular fitness and tone up the muscles. Losing some weight would be fine, though.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?
I was on my bike ALL the time as a kid and into the 1980's. Then school and career took over and I am finally getting back into it again!

5. What type of biking do you do?
Right now, I am just getting my feet wet again, doing some ruising around the neighborhood and a bike loop (4.5 miles) around a nearby lake. I figure if I can manage to drag my Sherman tank of a bicycle around enough, I'll be fit for anything! It's like riding a 20 lb. road bike with an extra 25 lbs. in a knapsack on your back...

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?
Annual? Oh that's a bit premature for me to answer at this stage. I want to get out about 3 -4 times a week for now.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
Nope. I don't haver a sedentary job, but neither is it a cardio workout. I had lumbar surgery two years ago and that took the steam out of certain activities I used to do. I am hoping biking will help with the back, though.

Happy riding!
Old 07-06-07, 05:24 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Melanie
Hi, my name is Melanie and I live in San Francisco, and I am a noob to this site - this is my first posting, and seemed an appropriate place to start!

Please tell us your age.
49 (OK, so I'm cheating - it's not that I'm in a rush to be 50, but I'll get there in a couple opf months, so...)
Welcome Melanie. No one will complain that you're not officially 50

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-17-07, 07:46 PM
cycling fanatic

Bikes: Cannondale T800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beverly
Welcome Melanie. No one will complain that you're not officially 50
I think she is bragging. If they created a 62+ thread I would join and brag that I am a junior member.
Old 07-25-07, 07:00 PM
ReNewing Rider

Bikes: old 10-speed...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I joined a couple of months ago when I got the bug to buy something more modern than my pieced-together 10-spd. I'm 52.

'07 Trek Pilot 1.2

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
I have a problematic left knee from 2 cartlidge operations in my teens (and a 'scoping about 5 or 6 years ago). Riding helps a lot as it strengthens the muscles and keeps the joint lubricated. My wife buys me glucosamine but I'm bad with taking supplements and always forget. I keep Rx Oxaprozin anit-inflamatory around but only need it occasionally.

Lots, unfortunately, hence the desire to get back on a bike. Neither my IT profession nor my rock band/recording guitarist hobby encourage me to be very active (except for maybe haulin' a crapload of gear...).

Like most guys my age, I lived on my bikes as a kid. I rode as a young adult but pretty much gave it up when I got married almost 25 years ago.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
Right now, it's short rides, 5-20 miles. As I get into better shape, I'll try longer rides. I like on a hillside so even short rides involve some climbing and I've been trying to find routes to/from my house that make the climb back home more gradual.

Ask me next year...

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
some swimming but not much else. I used to SUCBA dive but it's been a while since I went on a dive. I really miss alpine skiing and hope to drop enough weight to go a few times next season. Yeah, I'm a clyde too.

---- Gary ----

Last edited by Stringrazor; 07-31-07 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-25-07, 07:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I joined bike forums about a year ago when I started riding. I'm retired but used to ride to work about 20 years ago on a three speed.

06 Specialized Crossroads Elite

Blood Pressure Med, Vitamin C, Fish Oil, Niacin, Multi Vitamin, Aspirin

Some of course, but not as much as many of my friends. I enjoy being active by riding as much as I can and playing golf a couple times a week. Occasionally I'll play 36 or 45 holes in one day. None of my friends can ride a bike 40-50 miles a day and are pretty amazed by what I can still do. I'm very fortunate.

I biked as a kid of course, delivering papers and just getting around town. I biked to work about 25 years ago but after an encounter with a car I gave it up. My son talked me into getting a bike again last year and I'm very happy I listened to the kid.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
I do short rides of 25-35 miles most often on MUP's. Throw in some 20 milers and some 40 milers here and there. Sometimes I get the desire to engage traffic just to keep my skills sharp. I don't keep a log because I just ride for the enjoyment, but my stamina has improved dramatically so I must be doing something right. Even my doctor's eyes got big when I told him I ride 60-80 miles a week

Four or five days a week depending on my golf commitments. My goal is 1500-2000 this year.

Just biking and golf. That takes up most of the days of the week. I think riding has helped my golf by strengthening my legs, improving my balance and getting more lower body into my shots.

8. Please tell us your age.
Sixty seven .. but feel like 25.
Old 07-27-07, 11:43 AM

Bikes: Bianchi xl boron, Trek WSD, Comotion Speedster, Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
65 year old cyclist

I'm 65, been riding since 1975

Bianchi XL Boron, Comotion Speedster

I use Hammer Recoverite after most rides

I started noticing a slowing around 60 and reckon I have slowed down around 1 or 2 mph overall for something like 30-50 mile rides

32 years

I do short recovery rides (20 miles), fast group rides of 30-50 miles, a few centuries (I did RAIN for the first time this year) and tandem rides with my wife.

5 days/week - 7000 miles/year

I lift in the winter
Old 07-29-07, 07:00 PM

Bikes: Eddy Merckx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. 61

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? Eddy Merckx Century

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? None

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Not much, ecept for my scotch consumption.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? Off and on all my life

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race? Long rides and bike to work.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? 3000 to 5000 miles a year.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.? Walking, spinning, hiking.
Old 07-30-07, 09:47 AM

Bikes: Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ftsoft

I do short recovery rides (20 miles), fast group rides of 30-50 miles, a few centuries (I did RAIN for the first time this year) and tandem rides with my wife.
As a point of reference, what are typical speeds for a fast group ride and your centuries? I either ride alone or with my 30 year old daughter so I don't really know where I would stand among experienced age-group cyclists such as yourself.
Old 08-02-07, 02:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My details, in Denver

Eddy Merckx Elite about 4 years old I just bought this summer on Craigslist with help from my son who is cycling nut (15 bikes, no car, cyclocross for fun, North American Cycle Courier Racing Champ, builds weird tall bikes, plays cycle polo for fun) in Portland, OR helping me. 15 year old Trek mountain bike with NO suspension...really old school but that's OK so am I.

Just some over 50 vitamins...I'm 59

Till recently yes was a stinking couch potato compared to my former activity level. Started cycling then went on diet and dropped weight from 195 to 178 so far....target is 170 and figure I could hit 165 if I try. My weight when younger was 155-160 and I'm 6'1". Doubt if I can keep up with the really young punks who are in great shape but my goal is to be able to kick most of their arses and build up to some serious mountain climbing.

Forever....started with my kids in the late 80's mountain biking. Also got a Specialized steel road bike back then that I didn't ride much but I started riding it a couple times a week last year which got stolen then found my current bike and now am on path to get healthy and regularly be on the bike. Want to be insufferably healthy and not complain about my health for something to talk about.

Right now almost exclusively road, 1 hour ish rides in morning at 5:30 AM every day if I can and then a 3-4 hour ride on the weekends. Haven't done much mountains yet but am in Colorado so that's coming. So...100 to 150 miles a week. Might like to build up to the triple by pass or ride the rockies rides.
Old 08-03-07, 05:03 AM

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLT01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
07 Fuji Roubaix Pro

glucosamine, multivitamin, folic acid, acidophilus,omega complex

After a seven year layoff, I can say I havent slowed down as much as I expected. Maybe I'm just training smarter, having learned from my previous experiences.

Rode as a kid, and was remotivated in 1987 by Greg Lemond. Even more motivated at the thought of approching my 30th birtday as an overweight (250 pounds) chainsmoker. I took a seven year layoff. My life and health became a mess, so I pulled the bike out in mid March 2007, as I was approaching my 50th. I've lost 43 pounds to date

Road riding and racing.

Right now, at least 5 days a week. My annual mileage, cant say for sure. I'm going to have to deal with Ohio winter weather for the first time, as a cyclist.

I did play hockey during my layoff. In March, I sold most of my goalie equipment. I did hold on to a few pieces just in case. I now wonder what it would be like to play at my new weight. I might actually be able to move! I can see myself playing drop in hockey and subbing in games as a winter diversion.
Old 08-22-07, 01:53 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Please tell us your age.

Primarily a 3.4 WizWheelz Terra trike. Every week or two Giant Sedona.

I am finally eating well-balanced meals.

Compared with a year ago I average at least 16 MPH faster.

Rode as a kid then got way too busy and fat until this year. (Fine example of a supposedly person being a slow learner.)

My most frequent distance is 18-20 miles at lunch time. Favorite distance is about 40 miles at a varied pace and rolling hills. Touring is still in my future.

Six or seven times and 120-200 miles a week. Annual mileage will be determined by how much fun cold weather riding turns out to be.

Walking, standard generic exercise.

George
Old 08-27-07, 05:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, I din't see your post. My fast group rides are 21-22, Centuries vary a lot depending on how I feel (18-22). I averaged 20 even for RAIN.
Old 08-28-07, 08:24 PM
Bike & SCUBA

Bikes: 2007 Seven Axiom 007 Tandem with couplers, 1994 Litespeed Catalyst, 1992 Cannondale Road Tandem, 1990 Cannondale Road Tandem, 1984 Gitane Tour de France

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.
56 but feel younger, but can tell that I am not as young as I used to be.

Latest addition is a 2007 Seven Axiom 007 tandem that I ride with my better half
1994 Litespeed Catalyst

Take a bunch of stuff; multi-vitamin, B complex, C, Magnesium, E, and meds for HBP and HC

I know that I have slowed down but try hard not to let it show. Can still hang with most of my local group

Started in 1983 after needing a change from running. Rode singles, then got our first tandem and rode tandem primarily for 16 years. Was away from biking for 6 years and now plan to ride forever.

Primarily 25 - 65 mile rides. My longest ride is the Seattle to Portland ride in one day on a tandem. Ride for fitness and the great feeling it fives me.

I try to ride approx 25 - 30 miles three or four days a week with one longer ride (50-65 miles) once a week.
Hiking, scuba diving.
Old 08-29-07, 05:46 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Sevenrider
Was away from biking for 6 years and now plan to ride forever.

Welcome, and good luck on riding "forever!"
Old 08-29-07, 03:28 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert, 1978 Raleigh Professional, Trex 4300A, Dahon Mariner 26, Dahon Classic Stainless 16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Starting to ride seriously at 60

Since I’ve lived on a sailboat for 17 years, of necessity I have always had a folder. I currently have two: 26” Dahon mountain bike, and 16” stainless, ultra-compact. I have the 26” in Gig Harbor, WA and the 16” down in Mexico where I live in the winter. But I’m getting more serious about riding, thinking of doing the Seattle to Portland (STP) next year, and consequently feel I ought to consider getting a road or sport bike.

Just turned 60 in July, and so far I don’t take any pills.

I don’t feel it, but when the 30-40-year-olds go ripping by, I SEE it.

Lived on a farm as a kid and had to ride my coaster to get anywhere. Didn’t start riding again until I started cruising on a sailboat and needed transportation wherever we tied up or anchored, so have been riding on and off for the last 20 years or so. However, I have only recently begun to ride just for the fun and benefits of riding.

My longest ride thus far is 33 miles (however, I once road the 16” 3-speed folder 40 miles on the California Delta levies, but that was over the course of an entire day with lots of stops). I hope to continue riding further and longer, building up the endurance to do the STP next year. The harbor where I live is surrounded by hills, so it is up no matter what route I take. So far I’m primarily interested in riding as a way of staying in shape and long road rides seem to suit me. Maybe I’ll get interested in touring someday. In addition to the STP I might like to do some other long rides.

I’ve been trying to go out at least three, sometimes four days a week or about every other day. I’m doing about 100 miles a week now. Don’t know if that will increase or decrease.

I was running but have quit since I started riding. While in Mexico I swim occasionally. I ride the bike the short commute to work 2-3 days a week.
Old 08-29-07, 04:35 PM

Bikes: Trek mountain (15 yrs.) & Trek 7.2 hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Age 56

1. Riding a 15 year old Trek Mountain Bike and a 2006 Trek 7.2 hybrid. Looking to get a road bike.

2. Not taking any supplements.

3. I don't think I've slowed down too much until I get on the tennis or basketball court with my son.

4. Have been biking for a little over a year.

5. & 6. I usually ride about 12 or 13 miles every weekday morning and Saturday on local greenways and 30 to 35 miles on the road on Sunday. Not as often in the winter.

7. Workout in the gym, light weights and aerobic.
Old 08-29-07, 11:50 PM

Liked 14 Times in 3 Posts
50. on a brand new raleigh cadent 2.0, no supplements, a little slower, been riding most of my life (but took the last 10 or 15 years off), 20 miles a day 5 days a week... 35-50 one day... i like to swim and run, too.
Old 08-30-07, 09:01 AM

Bikes: Tarmac Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ftsoft
My fast group rides are 21-22, Centuries vary a lot depending on how I feel (18-22). I averaged 20 even for RAIN.
Thanks for writing back. Now that I know that RAIN is 160 miles, that's impressive. I was feeling pretty good about my century time for the Hotter n Hell until I saw that it was almost 5 mph slower than the top guy (but 3 mph faster than last year). At least it gave me encouragement that there is room for improvement, as do your times. Do you base your training on your experience, use a trainer or training program such as Friel or some combination of all these?
Old 09-01-07, 12:59 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Litespeed Avior and Pinarello Marvel both mainly fitted out with ultegra groupset - B17 saddles

No - don't believe in herbal, homeopathy, acupuncture or prescription medications if avoidable

Not much - but improvement gets harder and feel perpetually a bit (or a lot stiff). I have arthritis in most joints and the best I feel is when I get going and have warmed up on the bike. English weather - particularly this summer is very unpleasant.

Been cycling for about fifteen years - since first hip replacement. Now on my third!

Try to do about twenty miles a day. I fall short of this every week but not by much. Occasionally do a thirty or forty mile ride if the weather is good and I feel up to it.

Most days - about 3000 per year

Used to do stacks which is why my body is in a mess. Now I cycle do light weights and coach Judo and play with the lower grades to get a bit of a sweat on!

Last edited by christo.murphy; 09-01-07 at 01:03 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-03-07, 07:32 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadiedvm
Thanks for writing back. Now that I know that RAIN is 160 miles, that's impressive. I was feeling pretty good about my century time for the Hotter n Hell until I saw that it was almost 5 mph slower than the top guy (but 3 mph faster than last year). At least it gave me encouragement that there is room for improvement, as do your times. Do you base your training on your experience, use a trainer or training program such as Friel or some combination of all these?
Hmmmm. I guess all of the above. I've done a lot of reading about training and up until a couple of years ago I followed a training plan, but recently I've just been winging it, since I seem to be slowing down no matter what I do. I ride a trainer around 100 miles/week in the winter, but I don't do as many really hard training days as I used to. The biggest problem at my age is recovery. So for instance, I've ridden pretty hard 4 days in a row just because of circumstances and ride invitations that were too good to pass up and I would really like to ride today, but I think I should just rest since my legs feel pretty dead. This happens a lot, but the upside is that I feel free to have a life off the bicycle. The hotter-n-hell is a tough ride (one of the hardest I've done) because of the heat. One of the things I liked was moving between different groups, but I was scared stiff during the first 20 miles, worrying that I would get dumped by someone falling in front of me.
Old 09-03-07, 08:05 PM
the missing link

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.

59, I will be 60 in November. Yikes!

Bridgestone MB-2, she is a good friend.

Cholesterol medication, daily aspirin and a multi-vitamin

Major slow down. I have had bypass surgery and most of my bike riding is a 4 mile round trip commute for work. I do ride occasional 10-15 mile rides, however, most of my riding since surgery is for commuting. I have to remind myself that I am improving.

I have ridden a bicycle since I was 5 years old. I started commuting by bicycle when I was 22 and fell in love with bicycling again. I have ridden many centuries and a double century. I look forward to some light touring with my wife as I approach retirement at age 62. I may be slow, but, I have the Spirit of a Bicycle Rider!

Mostly a short commute to work and riding with our Grandchildren.

Currently 500-1000 miles a year.

I alternate walking to work. I have started Yoga. I came across a book called Om Yoga that clicked with me. It is helping me learn the basics and I feel better.
Old 09-04-07, 01:23 PM
Black La Lane

Bikes: EPX 303 (You probably never heard of it)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??

Also, please see a list of all the contributors:

I happen to have just turned 56 yesterday. I ride an EPX 303 carbon road bike (you probably have never heard of the brand-made in Austrailia ('G day mate!).

I take Maga man vitiamins (the only vitiamins for me, of course). CoEnzyme q10 as well as occasional anti-inflamatory medication for tendonitis in my left knee. I weight train and recently have begun the veryl tough P90X sytem. I try to eat right, (so I can eat some junk when I want to). I rollerskate (I'm talkin' Roller Jamming - formerly known as Roller Disco). I golf when I can, usually 2 - 3 rounds a year, but I get to the driving range once a week, usually.

So if you put all this together, you will see that I am 56 years old going on 37. (I am also self-delusional).
Old 09-07-07, 01:21 AM

Bikes: Long Recumbent, Short recombent, racing bike, MTB, beach bike,Tandem,Fixy.2 twentys and a folding bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.

I ride all my bikes

Long home made recumbent [the LIMO]
Short home made recumbent [this is my tourer] [Yo Yo as it can be ridden both the up and down]
Folding bike
Road bike [old one]
MTB for off road [hard tail]
Beach bike [old and rusty from the salt but still a fun bike]

No

Sure a fair bit but I’ve never been it too much of a hurry.

Bum Liver slows me up a bit.

Last 25 years and as a kid a bit

I ride every morning for an hour or 3
Longer ride once a week
2 long tours every year [2 to 6 weeks each if I can]

Over 6000

Swim… surf now and then

Old 09-08-07, 01:05 PM
Flick

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Larry from Baltimore, MD

Please tell us your age.

Started with a hybrid - Giant Cypress DX last August. Wanted a lighter bike but could not handle the drop road bars, fused lower back with two rods. Got a 2006 Giant FCR 1 with straight handle bars in 7/07. Absolutely love it.

No.

A lot. Use the bike for training puposes to lose weight and manage bp, sugar and colesterol.

As a kid I was always on a bike. 8/06 got back into biking with my wife. She has bad knees and this was the best form of exercise for her. She recently had knee surgery, both knees, we still ride for the exercise.

Short rec rides for now. I eventually want to do a century, my longest ride has been 20 miles.

Try to bike three times a week, annual mileage about 1000 miles.

Just biking.
Old 09-10-07, 10:10 PM

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
Please tell us your age.

90% New road bike Serrota Fierte fit by my LBS
5% mountain bike for bike paths
4% old road bike (1982 Raleigh Pro) when I park in the city at the train station
1% 2001 Easyracer Goldrush (preceding 5 years was 80% of my riding)

1 a day multi about half the days

Was slowing down a lot over the last 10 years. This year I retired, lost 30 lbs and am back to where I was 10 years ago.

All my life with a break between 1985 - 2000

All road biking now. I gave up mountain biking 6 years ago. Last 5 years avg 25 miles per week May through September
This year 3000 miles ytd (>100mpw), ride 5 days per week at much greater intensity.

This year will be >4500 miles.
Avg last 5 years was 600 mpy

As I lose weight thanks to biking, I am trying to add running back in after 10+ year hiatus. I used to run far more frequently than biking. Now my feet hurt and I often strain something.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.