Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Panaracer T-Serv Protex vs Conti Top Contact

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-10, 06:05 PM
King of the Hipsters

Bikes: Realm Cycles Custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have ridden fixed with Panaracer T-Servs, Armadillos, Gatorskins, 4000's and 4 Seasons looking for the ultimate flat-resistant and light-wieght street tire.

Because of my weight, I have moved up to 25mm tires and plan to move up again to 28mm tires.

Given the amount of money I have spent on light wheels, I do not want to go past the 300 gram weight range.

Glass continues to cause most of my problems (slow leaks, no flats while riding), and I have narrowed my search down to the new Panaracer T-Serv Protex tires and the Conti Top Contact tires: the Panaracers for their new Protex shield (purportedly 3-times more flat protection than anyone else); and, the Top Contacts for their thicker rubber on the tread.

Who has experience with either or both of these tires?
Old 04-04-10, 07:24 PM
danke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently picked up a pair of the t-serv protex (700x25) for my commuter, and it has been pretty good. Haven't put enough miles on them to make a solid recommendation, but they're not THAT expensive.

However, i have been using the maxxis refuse for the past two years and over 1000 miles and zero flats. The streets of New York is pretty awful in certain areas, and i find them to be the best tires for the money. They're $30 each and weigh in at 280g @700x25, something to consider i guess.
Old 04-04-10, 10:38 PM
King of the Hipsters

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I hadn't heard of the Maxxis Re-Fuse before.

Reviews here:

https://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/wh...9_2489crx.aspx

Thanks for the good steer.
Old 04-05-10, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
I'm using 32mm (claimed) Top Contacts on my Rob Roy Commuter @205 pounds. They are very nice tires. No flats in over 3000 miles and still lots of tread left on the rear. The sidewalls are surprisingly supple and they actually roll better than gatorskins IMO. I keep expecting the sidewalls to give out, but so far the sidewalls are holding out nicely and based on how well they are holding up, I expect several thousand more miles out of the rear. Based on my experience, the Top Contacts should easily outlast any other tire on your list.

My only complaints are (1) initially the tread is a bit too thick and they feel a bit squishy when cornering. However after a few thousand miles the tread has worn down a bit and now they handle very nicely. (2) The tires are much narrower than claimed...they are really more like 28s. (3) The max PSI on the sidewall is too low especially when carrying a load..I think this is related to the fact that the tires are much narrower than claimed. I run mine closer to 90-100 PSI with no problems.
Old 04-05-10, 05:25 AM
King of the Hipsters

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, I had a limit in my mind of 400 grams, and the 32mm Top Contact that Mihlbach rides weigh exactly 400 grams.

I know the Conti's all run small, but the 32's would really need to run very small in order to fit in my front fork.

Hm.

Instead of narrowing down, the list keeps getting bigger.
Old 04-05-10, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken Cox

I know the Conti's all run small, but the 32's would really need to run very small in order to fit in my front fork.
)
How about a 28 in the front and a 32 in the rear?
Old 10-30-11, 10:15 PM

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Just replaced a Maxxis ReFuse 700x25 folding tire on our tandem after 2,351 miles. In that time had one flat.
The aramid (kevlar) layer between casing and rubber compound is really quite tough.
We live in the desert southwest (AZ) so there's lotsa cactus thorns and ripped off steel-belted car/truck tires debris.
The Kevlar folding bead makes for easy mounting/dismounting of the tires, even without tire tools.
Just our input/experience.
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy anbd Kay/zonatandem
Old 10-30-11, 11:39 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Panaracer Rivendell Ruffy Tuffy 700x28 I did a loaded 1500+ mile month long bike tour on these tires, faced all kinds of nasty road conditions and even some off road/ trails.. only had ONE flat.

pretty solid for me. plus they have an old school look.
Old 11-01-11, 01:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm curious, what's wrong with some of the tires that you listed? I think foldable gatorskins and GP 4 seasons are great light weight tires. I've never had a flat with them and they seem to have good traction.
Old 07-17-12, 10:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have been running refuse 25's for two yrs with over 5000 miles and only one flat. From the streets of Detroit out into the countryside. They are finally thread bare and am looking to replace with tire that is more stable on occasional gravel and through the winter snow. Am looking at t-serv protex in the 32 size. My bike is my car. Thinking about running a quality liner for added protection.