Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1987 Peugeot Ventoux

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-10, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1987 Peugeot Ventoux

Greetings:

I am new to the forum and have re-discovered my passion for riding. I bought what I think is a 1987 Peugeot Ventoux from friend. I knew nothing about the bike other than I liked the way it looked and heard they make for a comfortable ride. I have attempted to research the bike and have hit a wall (basically, I was able to determine that it is probably a 1987 Model).

I do not have pictures as I have not received the bike yet. It is white with a white seat (saddle). It has both rainbow stripes and black and white checkered patterns. I would describe it as tired. Tires are dry-rotted, small dings and scratches (nothing that appears to be from profound abuse). Basically, it looks like someone has enjoyed it a lot. It retains all of the original equipment - minus the white handle bar tape.

I read the guidelines for asking for a valuation before posting this thread. I am aware that pictures are incredibly helpful...and I cannot provide them at this time (again, I have yet to receive the bike). Can someone give me an idea on the general value of the bike considering that the overall condition (with all of the original equipment) is a 5 on a scale of 10 (this is my opinion).

Also, my friend said I could remove the original saddle and sell it to help offset the cost of a tune-up, new tires, new tubes. Is this something I should consider and if so, what is the approximate value of a white leather saddle with no tears or damage but is noticeably aged.

Thank you for your help.
Old 04-06-10, 03:54 PM
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
The Ventoux (PH501) was the top of the line non-aluminum bike for Peugeot in '87 and had a Reynolds 501 main triangle and Huret Rival white color components (still it was a mid-level bike.) Does this sound like your bike? Hard to tell about the value of a saddle just by the color without knowing the make and model, but I suspect that it will not pay for a tune up, tires and tubes, even if it were brand new. In the condition you indicate, needing overhaul, tires, tubes and such, I'd say the value is around $100-150 depending on the market.

Here is the catalog page for your bike from miamijim's Peugeot site:

Old 04-06-10, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
The condition you described (5/10) really does not enhance the value at all - maybe 125-150 - but if a general clean-up/overhaul and new tires and bar tape will make it good, I would put it in the $250 neighborhood.

IMO - these internally brazed Peugeots are worth more functionally than what people are willing to pay - Also just being French holds down the value some - so you ought to keep it and enjoy it.

(BTW - I think your 87 is probably English threaded so there is no basis for the aversion to things French - and if I am wrong, someone will correct me in a heartbeat you can be sure!)
Old 04-06-10, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
The condition you described (5/10) really does not enhance the value at all - maybe 125-150 - but if a general clean-up/overhaul and new tires and bar tape will make it good, I would put it in the $250 neighborhood.

IMO - these internally brazed Peugeots are worth more functionally than what people are willing to pay - Also just being French holds down the value some - so you ought to keep it and enjoy it.

(BTW - I think your 87 is probably English threaded so there is no basis for the aversion to things French - and if I am wrong, someone will correct me in a heartbeat you can be sure!)
Pretty much dead on. Blackball, its not worth selling the seat to offset the cost of the bike.
Old 04-06-10, 04:56 PM
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Project bikes are best suited to someone who has the time, tools, interest and aptitude to do the rehab themselves. When you pay retail for such a rehab, it gets pretty expensive.
Old 04-06-10, 05:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right On

To EjustE - The catalog example you provided looks exactly like the bike I bought (minus the reflectors and handle bar tape).

Thank you to everyone for the input...and with a very impressive turn around time as well!

Correct me if I am wrong (and I am often wrong...), but it does not sound like it is worth my time to sell the saddle separately to help pay for (even if it is only a fraction of) the cost to bring the Peugeot back to life.

I project:

New Tires - $30 each
New Tubes - $6 each
Tune Up - $75 (Tru the wheels, go through the gears, go through the brakes - which might incur additional cost based on the condition of the cables, etc.)

Do these sound like reasonable estimates? Am I forgetting anything?

Again, thank you for the wisdom.
Old 04-06-10, 05:19 PM
sultan of schwinn

Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
You can probably get better deals on tires and tubes in a place like biketiresdirect.com, but $70 for both tires and tubes is a good allowance. And your bike shop might get those for you at a decent price, esp if you are taking it there for service.

As far as what is needed for this bike, it's hard to tell. I suspect that it will need new cables and housing, assessment of the condition of BB, hubs and headset as well as the components and lubrication throughout. Depends what someone will find, and where you live, you are looking to close to $100-150 for this in a bike shop, without material other than cables. You'll probably need handlebar tape ($15ish) You got to make sure that they do it right and not "cheap". Disassembling parts, assessing their condition and lubricating them before assembly will really save you headaches down the road. So I would highly suggest not going for a blue light special service, but ask the mechanics for what their "tune up" entails and proceed accordingly.
Old 04-06-10, 05:20 PM

$15 tires will work.
Old 04-06-10, 06:25 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
blackball, I have the same bike. I've yet to work on it, but I'm keeping it all original because it is such a unique bike. I do a bit of bike flipping, but sometimes you find a bike where making money is not important, restoring it to glory is. IMHO the PH501 is one of those bikes. Good luck with it.
Old 04-06-10, 11:38 PM

Bikes: A few BSO's.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 27 Posts
I flipped one last summer. It came to me with a 105 RD and shifters so it shifted great. The white crank and brake calipers are very cool and I wanted to keep the white Anatomic saddle but it really needed to stay with the bike.

I would have kept it to ride but it was 6" too small. It sold for $260 in a couple of days. I have flipped 3 or 4 other 501 framed Peugeots. They seem to be quite popular where I live.
Old 07-12-10, 03:36 AM
calm down its just a bike

Bikes: PK Ripper FG, raleigh folder, felt z5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^picked one up for my sis just like that today, except for the hoods and brake levers has been updated to something a tad newer that what is pictured, but everything else is almost exact!

$200, just needed air and a slight tune on the frontD and rearD and f and r brakes

put in 10 miles today, she loves it so far and the bike is pretty darn clean about 8/10

will try to post pics in the morning
Old 12-30-10, 11:39 AM

Bikes: '16 Cannondale Slate, '12 Fisher Cronus, '85 Pinarello Triatlon, '98 Sampson Z7 Pro Road Ti , '96 Merlin Titanium, '95 Cannondale V500, '72 Gitane TdF, ' 89 Merckx Corsa Extra, '85 Centurion Ironman pink/yellow, ' 85 1st gen Fuso.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty nice one of these on Ebay right now asking $550. Wonder if he'll get it.

https://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Peugeot-...item2eb1d0470a
Old 12-31-10, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by bennie222
Pretty nice one of these on Ebay right now asking $550. Wonder if he'll get it.

https://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Peugeot-...item2eb1d0470a
Ummm...NO.