Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

My first long-ish commute (hooked!)

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-10, 10:35 PM
Shred the rad

Bikes: 2006 Giant TCR C3, 2010 Mercier Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I started flex time this week, enabling me to get my rides in to and from work. 6:25am get on train in Sac, 7:55 get off train in Folsom. Ride to El Dorado Hills 10 miles away with 2 "climbs" halfway through (they wouldn't be climbs on my TCR). Admittedly, the hills absolutely killed me - I haven't ridden up a hill on my F/G in almost a year. After 5 minutes of survival mode sitting on a curb, got on the bike and cruised to work.

The best part: 32 mile ride home, 20 on the American River bike trail, losing maybe 800 feet over the whole ride. This gives me a total of 42 miles and lots of "you ride here?!?" from the bewildered cubicle neighbors. Gonna try to do this 2-4 times a week except when it gets in the 100's in the summer.
Old 04-06-10, 10:53 PM

Bikes: A little of everything

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Taking the train to avoid riding up the cage? The ride back into Sac is the easy part of the ride, you wuss.

OKOK, in fairness, I'm assuming you're taking the train to shorten the overall trip? There are many places to get on the trail, they're just not all obvious.

Also, the 100s in the summer are fantastic- just jump in the river partway through the ride. You'll be dry by the time you get home.
Old 04-07-10, 07:16 AM
Shred the rad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I'd have to leave at 6 to ride there - that's pushing it. The river will indeed be a savior in July - September.
Old 04-07-10, 10:41 AM
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
I wish I had a longer commute but I live in Land Park and work Downtown. That mile and a half, I barely get warmed up.

If you want to get stronger do hill repeats on Costco Hill.
Old 04-07-10, 08:52 PM
Shred the rad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got back an hour ago from commute number 2. Again, nearly killed me, but this time when I got home. About 20 miles into my ride home, I tried to keep up with a couple of roadies drafting each other and I hung on for about 4 miles, then thought I was gonna go lactic. Now, after a hot tub and some pasta, thing are looking up once again. 80 miles in 2 days with hills is more than I bargained for, but only getting stronger...
Old 04-08-10, 09:14 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, my commute is pretty intense too. It's like almost 2 miles one way, in little traffic with no hills, and a pretty small amount of wind...