Search
Notices
Vehicular Cycling (VC) No other subject has polarized the A&S members like VC has. Here's a place to share, debate, and educate.

Safety Colors

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 11:39 AM

Bikes: Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Safety Colors

There are several different hi-vis colors that are used for visibility on a bicyclist's clothing, accessories, bicycle, etc. However some of these colors, while having different names, seem so much the same. To get to my point, what is the difference between canary yellow, screaming yellow, lime green, and neon green Or are While in the market for a new hi-vis wind jacket, these things would be helpful for me to know.

Last edited by powerhouse; 04-07-10 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-08-10, 11:28 AM

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variations_of_yellow

I found this just a few days ago.

For the record, road-workers must wear lime green, or "strong yellow green" vests while working in the roads. If a road worker doesn't have a vest on, he can't work, misses a days pay.

I want to be as easily seen as a road worker, so I always wear a strong yellow green vest ( it fell off the back of a Verizon truck) while biking.

Railroad workers still wear neon orange vests, but the rules are different there, the railroad owns the track (makes it's own rules.) Neon Orange is no longer used by road ( highway) workers.

The correct color is strong yellow green.
Old 11-02-11, 04:49 PM
Resident smartass.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variations_of_yellow

For the record, road-workers must wear lime green, or "strong yellow green" vests while working in the roads. If a road worker doesn't have a vest on, he can't work, misses a days pay.

I want to be as easily seen as a road worker, so I always wear a strong yellow green vest ( it fell off the back of a Verizon truck) while biking.

Railroad workers still wear neon orange vests, but the rules are different there, the railroad owns the track (makes it's own rules.) Neon Orange is no longer used by road ( highway) workers.
Nice score on the vest Hotbike.

Hard to say on this one, really. I have to wear hi-vis as part of my job. The two most common colors out there are orange and yellow/lime green. Worksafe BC is fine with either color. The orange is fine for riding on a sunny day, while the yellow/lime green shows up a lot better in reduced visibility such as rain, fog or riding after dark.

When I lived at the coast, I just wore an orange hunters vest (no reflective strips) when I rode through downtown Vancouver, BC. In the winter time, I wore a yellow/lime green vest with reflective strips on it, as it showed up better under lower light conditions.

A great place to go is a store that specializes in construction clothing. They should have a variety of safety vests and jackets for you to have a look at.
Old 11-03-11, 10:36 AM

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Fargo Wolf
Nice score on the vest Hotbike.

Hard to say on this one, really. I have to wear hi-vis as part of my job. The two most common colors out there are orange and yellow/lime green. Worksafe BC is fine with either color. The orange is fine for riding on a sunny day, while the yellow/lime green shows up a lot better in reduced visibility such as rain, fog or riding after dark.

When I lived at the coast, I just wore an orange hunters vest (no reflective strips) when I rode through downtown Vancouver, BC. In the winter time, I wore a yellow/lime green vest with reflective strips on it, as it showed up better under lower light conditions.

A great place to go is a store that specializes in construction clothing. They should have a variety of safety vests and jackets for you to have a look at.
Yep, it literally "Fell off the back of a Truck", LOL. I actually gained two more strong yellow green vests- one fell off a LIPA truck (Long Island Power Authority) and another fell off a Cablevision truck. I gave one away to a friend. Each company has it's own style. But I ended up going to Sears, in the working men's department, and buying a new vest, on account of my size (I weigh 280 lbs.). The Sears vest is lime green, but also has a one inch orange stripe bordering the 2 inch reflective stripes. I should note that these vests are held together with Velcro, at the seams, so if it gets caught in machinery, it should rip away, and not drag the wearer into the machine.