Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

My coworker needs some help

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-10, 01:15 AM

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He is(or at least is seemingly) interested in picking up a bicycle, and riding again. He has a weight problem right now, and he wants to get it under control. After seeing me commute to work on my bicycle(12 miles each way), he starting showing interest in bicycling again. But, he is probably a good 300lbs right now.

Any advice I can pass on to him, to get him started?
Old 04-11-10, 01:56 AM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Univega Activa ST Hybrid, 70's Schwinn Traveler, Giant Innova, Nishiki Mixte

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. He should have a thorough physical. MD might want a stress test done before embarking on a rigorous exercise regimen.

2. The second most important thing is that he needs to get a bike that fits. If it doesn't fit, it will hurt, and he will park it. A good fitting used bike is better than an ill fitting new bike. Stay out of Target and Wally world. Look for strong wheels (deep profile rims with 32 to 36 spokes).

3. A bike is cheaper than the insurance copay for bypass surgery and the lost time at work.

4. He did not get to be 300 lbs in a week, and he will not lose it in a week. The goal is to lose the weight for the long term.

5. Find some like minded people that will support him (family, friends, bike club, this forum). There are lots of inspirational stories in archives of this forum and we all sorta try to push each other in the right direction here (here is an example: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...rgery-and-More!).

6. Get his email address and forward him a link to this forum.

I started at 290 last August and am in the 230's now and have 70 lbs to go.

Last edited by MikeWinVA; 04-11-10 at 02:02 AM.
Old 04-11-10, 03:46 AM
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 856 Posts
It's not about the bike. Tell him to try a cheap used mountain bike off Craigslist, for starters. Throw on some slick tires, and replace the wheelset with a good 36H if it starts popping spokes.

Counting calories works. It's much easier if you eliminate all high sugar foods. If you eat mostly fruits and vegetables, lean meats and whole grains, it turns to be relatively easy to eat the right amount of calories and not be hungry. If you eat the sugar, your blood sugar spikes, then dips, and you feel hungy sooner.

It doesn't matter where you start, as far as fitness level. Very small increases in speed and distance can add up to a lot over time. In a year or two, he could be right there with you.

Get him to post in here, and he'lll get nothing but help and positive feedback.
Old 04-11-10, 04:11 AM
Fat Guy Rolling

Bikes: Bacchetta Agio, 80s Raleigh Record single-speed, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In addition to what else has been posted, if he can't ride the whole distance, driving part of the way and riding in the rest works.

I started by parking about 3.5 miles from work. That's a short ride, but it was about all I could do at that point. It saved me from paying from parking also. If he sticks with it, he'll be riding the whole distance within a few months, and looking for longer routes a few months after that.
Old 04-11-10, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dcrowell
In addition to what else has been posted, if he can't ride the whole distance, driving part of the way and riding in the rest works.

I started by parking about 3.5 miles from work. That's a short ride, but it was about all I could do at that point. It saved me from paying from parking also. If he sticks with it, he'll be riding the whole distance within a few months, and looking for longer routes a few months after that.
This is great advice and similar to what I did last year. I started in March of 2009 riding my bike to work, and at first I rode one way in and then took the train home. As my fitness level improved, I began riding the round trip a couple days a week. By end of summer last year, I was riding the round trip 3-4 days a week. I began at 350 pounds and got down to 310 last fall. I'm now back to riding to work and have already started off with 3 round trips per week. I hope by the end of April I'll be riding 5 days a week round trip. It's a 35 miles R/T for me.

Please encourage him. Riding my bike has changed my life, literally.
Old 04-11-10, 07:25 AM

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
All excellent advice so far. I especially like these:

Originally Posted by chewybrian
Get him to post in here, and he'lll get nothing but help and positive feedback.
Originally Posted by MikeWinVA
6. Get his email address and forward him a link to this forum.
Old 04-11-10, 04:54 PM

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DoubleTap
This is great advice and similar to what I did last year. I started in March of 2009 riding my bike to work, and at first I rode one way in and then took the train home. As my fitness level improved, I began riding the round trip a couple days a week. By end of summer last year, I was riding the round trip 3-4 days a week. I began at 350 pounds and got down to 310 last fall. I'm now back to riding to work and have already started off with 3 round trips per week. I hope by the end of April I'll be riding 5 days a week round trip. It's a 35 miles R/T for me.

Please encourage him. Riding my bike has changed my life, literally.
wow thats amazing fair play. my round trip to college would be 34 miles so i'm kinda trying now to build myself up to it.

+1 for the second hand bike and making sure it fits. plenty of time for new when he gets hooked