Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Specialized, Trek, Giant or Cannondale (Hybrid or Comfort)?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-04, 06:42 AM

Bikes: Giant Cypress LX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Greetings!
My wife and I (both 51 and in very reasonable shape, physically <g>) are in the market for bikes. Our old and NEVER used road bikes were bulky and very uncomfortable. We are considering comfort or hybrid from Specialized, Trek, Giant or Cannondale.
Road riding will probably be about 75-80 percent of our time on the bikes but we are also considering some improved trails for the future. We will also be taking them to the Delaware shore area (Cape Henlopen trails (paved, mostly).
We are not wealthy, but I firmly believe that we should not look at price as a factor in our decision making and want all the features that will make this a great experience so we are entertaining all sorts of price ranges and models.
Any and all input is GREATLY appreciated.
CW & NW
Lancaster, PA
Old 08-27-04, 01:58 PM

Bikes: Trek 7100, Fuji Newest 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi check the thread below started by Ducats, he asks a similiar question. I bought two hybrids and a comfort, the hybrids for my wife and I the comfort for my daughter.
Get the hybrid, you will be glad you did, the heavier and twider tires on the comfort are way more difficult to puc than the hybrid with the thinner tires. I have a Trek 7100, $300.00..... My wife has a Giant Cypress. $300.00. I think the Trek is a much nicer looking bike and all around a better bike. Look at and ride both kinds and you'll see what I mean. I love the Trek 7100, great bike for the price.

Good luck Tony
Old 08-28-04, 08:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Tony! I got a Trek 7300 and love it. My rides seem similar to yours-- mostly roads and some trails. The comfort bikes are harder to roll because of the tires, and I prefer going at a faster pace. The Trek 7100 is a great bike-- I would have purchased that one but found a great deal I couldn't pass up on the 7300.
Old 08-28-04, 08:42 AM
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MagChase
Greetings!
My wife and I (both 51 and in very reasonable shape, physically <g>) are in the market for bikes. Our old and NEVER used road bikes were bulky and very uncomfortable. We are considering comfort or hybrid from Specialized, Trek, Giant or Cannondale.
What perticularly was it about your road bikes that you found uncomfortable? The reason I ask this is that hybrids share many of the same attributes as roadbikes while comfort bikes are closer to cruisers. The hybrid is generally a better choice if you want to go fast and for fitness. If you're looking for more efficiency, I would suggest you also look for one without suspension. The comfort bike is generally designed for shorter slower rides of under 20 miles, is heavier and puts you in a more upright position which is typically why they come with a suspension seatpost. That said, I have seen people use comfort bikes on longer rides.

Originally Posted by MagChase
Road riding will probably be about 75-80 percent of our time on the bikes but we are also considering some improved trails for the future. We will also be taking them to the Delaware shore area (Cape Henlopen trails (paved, mostly).
Hybrids are better for road riding and can handle some tame offroading.

Here are two friends of mine riding on a dirt service road in a tulip field. The one on the right is riding a Bianchi Strada hybrid.

Old 09-19-04, 10:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi CW and NW,
One thing you might like to try is an adjustable stem. I am over 40 and no longer enjoy being bent over so much. I just bought a Specialized Sequoia road/comfort bike with a body geometry bar and stem that can be adjusted to various angles. It's the greatest innovation on this bike, along with the suspension seatpost and the carbon fork with "zertz" elastomer inserts. Check it out! Cheers.
Susan from Alaska
Old 09-20-04, 08:08 AM

Bikes: Trek 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was in a similar position about 3 months ago. (I have a few years on you !) I wound up with a Trek 7300FX, which I absolutely love. I have several Rails-to Trails available within reasonable distances, and that is where I do 90% of my riding. I have no doubt that all the brands you mentioned make quality products. I happen to have a Trek store very close – liked the bike – so that’s the way I went.

You may know this – but I was a bit uninformed. I have spent more on “extras” than I paid for the bike. Computer, shorts, jerseys, helmet, riding glasses, gloves, saddlebag, tools, spare parts, and a tire inflation system. I’m now looking for a hydration pack !! But hey – you got to have fun, right? Good luck.