Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

outside bike storage?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

outside bike storage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-10, 06:12 AM

Bikes: 2010 Felt F5, 2010 Dawes SST-AL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
outside bike storage?

my wife is breaking my balls about my bikes in the house, i have one in the dining room and one in the living room. We Have a big house but no garage so those are the easiest/safest places for my bikes. I have a shed but between my lawn tracter, push mower, and snowblower, there isnt room for so much as a bike tire, much less 2 bikes.

what alternatives have you used/seen for storing outside that are acceptable? my back yard is fully fenced with no neighbors close by so I'm not as worried about theft as I am about damage from weather & other annoyances from being outside.
Old 04-17-10, 06:22 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Build a garage for the bikes? Buy another ready to go shed for the bikes? Divorce?

I have all my "good" bikes stored in a shipping container that is in my back yard, the not so good bikes and the ones headed for the scrap yard are down in the small barn...then again my "back yard" is about 40 acres.

As a general rule storing bikes outside will lead to rust, even if they are covered due to condensation and moisture coming up from the ground.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 04-17-10, 06:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ugh, the dining room is safe AND dry.

her bike has been in the shed since we moved here 2.5 years ago, i noticed last year it was already getting some pitting and rust on some parts and that's a dry storage area with a floor...
Old 04-17-10, 07:07 AM

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
hang them on the wall, its called pop art
Old 04-17-10, 07:08 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
found this Rubbermaid Slide-Lid Storage Shed, the product description includes the term "bike storage" so maybe it's worth a look. anybody have any experience with this or similar products?

1300lb capacity with lockable doors (with padlock, etc) Home-Depot has it for $350, seems like the best price I can find...
Old 04-17-10, 03:50 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Do you have space in the laundry room or other utility type room? I now keep mine in the laundry room. That's better than where they were -- in the shed next to the lawnmower.

bike holder..jpg

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 04-17-10 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-17-10, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Look into a "Tuff Shed". They have sizes that are large enough for bikes and a small bike work area in them. bk
Old 04-17-10, 09:42 PM

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd tell her to shut it.
My fiance was complaining about the same thing and I told her that my bike is not going outside end of discussion. She moves what ever she wants where ever she want and I don't say a ting but when I brought my bike in the house she tried pull that bikes don't belongs to inside crap with me lets just say it didn't go well for her, and now my bike stays inside with mud and all.

Old 04-18-10, 06:02 AM
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Originally Posted by CNY James
ugh, the dining room is safe AND dry.

her bike has been in the shed since we moved here 2.5 years ago, i noticed last year it was already getting some pitting and rust on some parts and that's a dry storage area with a floor...
Due mainly to condensation because the storage area doesn't have HVAC on it. Not much to be done about it, I have the same problem here in the deep South.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 04-18-10, 06:43 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Due mainly to condensation because the storage area doesn't have HVAC on it. Not much to be done about it, I have the same problem here in the deep South.
The trick is ventillation. It doesn't have to be heated or cooled, but you have to have air flow to vent the moisture out.
Old 04-18-10, 07:03 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
found this Rubbermaid Slide-Lid Storage Shed, the product description includes the term "bike storage" so maybe it's worth a look. anybody have any experience with this or similar products?

As I recall, both DG and Beverly use those--or something like them. If they don't chime in here, send them a PM.

Here's how I store two of my bikes inside. A third rack is presently on order for the opposite wall. The fourth bike will get locked to the radiator.

Show it to your wife as either a suggestion or "Well, it could be worse".

You know, you could do something similar outside under an awning of some sort. These particular racks have a loop to lock the bikes.

Last edited by tsl; 04-18-10 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-18-10, 09:04 AM
Membership Not Required

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
The trick is ventillation. It doesn't have to be heated or cooled, but you have to have air flow to vent the moisture out.
Down here even that isn't enough, it goes from low 40's to low 80's with no apparent change in humidity some days. Those days the steel on the bikes can't warm up fast enough to stop the condensation. It doesn't really bother me too much, most of my bikes are of decent enough quality to have heavily chromed parts or in many cases alloy or stainless steel. Riding them and keeping them well lubricated doesn't hurt either.

Aaron

RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

_krazygluon
Old 04-18-10, 09:10 AM

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you have room to build a shed, build it with lots of insulation and then just put a 40 watt old style lightbulb in there. It will keep it warm enough to not rust and will cost very, very little to keep warm and your bikes can read when you are not there.
Old 04-23-10, 02:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Currently, two reside in the living room and two in the dining area.

But half of them are hers!

A garage has been a slow time in the making.
Old 04-23-10, 06:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have room for a shed, in theory but I already have a big shed on my property... one side is lawn equipment & the other is firewood & snowblower (snowblower comes out, lawn tractor goes in during winter months) having another shed or shed addition isnt really an option I want to explore, for the money I can get the rubbermaid thing & another bike and not have to give up more real estate in the process. Still holding onto hope that we will build a garage sometime in the next 5 years.
Old 04-23-10, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
I have room for a shed, in theory but I already have a big shed on my property... one side is lawn equipment & the other is firewood & snowblower (snowblower comes out, lawn tractor goes in during winter months) having another shed or shed addition isnt really an option I want to explore, for the money I can get the rubbermaid thing & another bike and not have to give up more real estate in the process. Still holding onto hope that we will build a garage sometime in the next 5 years.
Why in the world do you store firewood in a shed? A covered, elevated wood pile works just fine.
Old 04-23-10, 08:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dscheidt
Why in the world do you store firewood in a shed? A covered, elevated wood pile works just fine.
because by storing it in the shed it is both covered and elevated and doesnt look like **** in my yard?
Old 04-23-10, 09:58 PM
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The ONLY reason my bike is in the garage and not the house is because there are too many of us in the house -- extended family, multiple kids. There's just physically NO ROOM; heck, the dining room has become another bedroom! The day WILL come, though, when I have the house to myself again, and the bike will 'come home'.
Old 04-29-10, 07:29 AM

Bikes: '91 Miyata 1000 LT, '85 Miyata Ridge Runner, '80 Raleigh Super Record (fixed), '14 Surly Karate Monkey, '88 Panasonic DX5000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have 2 of these Rubbermaid sheds. They hold about 3 bikes and some parts. Unfortunately, there has been leakage and I'm seeing rust on my bikes.

One suggestion I recently received was to try dessicant packs in there to soak up the moisture. However, I'm also looking into an extra wide shed... Lifetime has one that's 15" wide and 8" feet deep. That seems like the perfect dimensions to hold 5 or 6 bikes.
Old 04-29-10, 05:52 PM

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
my wife is breaking my balls about my bikes in the house, i have one in the dining room and one in the living room. We Have a big house but no garage so those are the easiest/safest places for my bikes. I have a shed but between my lawn tracter, push mower, and snowblower, there isnt room for so much as a bike tire, much less 2 bikes.

what alternatives have you used/seen for storing outside that are acceptable? my back yard is fully fenced with no neighbors close by so I'm not as worried about theft as I am about damage from weather & other annoyances from being outside.

If you have a large house, why not designate a room or area for bike storage. Your house probably has a large basement, put up some hooks or make a bike section. Seems like you have the space resource - just use what you have more effectively.
Old 04-29-10, 05:57 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps installing a solar-powered ventilation fan or turbine ventilator might do the trick?
Old 04-29-10, 06:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by martianone
If you have a large house, why not designate a room or area for bike storage. Your house probably has a large basement, put up some hooks or make a bike section. Seems like you have the space resource - just use what you have more effectively.
she would be fine with them in the basement, she just doenst want them in the general living space. I don't mind keeping them in the basement but it's a pain in the ass to bring them up and down the stairs every day to ride. It can be done, but narrow area in front of the basement door & baby gates make it toughish. Odds are, if it comes to that, I'll leave one bike down there and one upstairs and either rotate or just never ride the downstairs bike. We'll probably get the rubbermaid thing with the sliding top eventually...
Old 10-25-10, 02:38 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This YardStash product looks like it will work for you. Much cheaper than the rubbermaid shed. www.yardstash.com
Old 10-25-10, 03:35 PM

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Anything outside is going to allow your bikes to rust. Even aluminum will corrode. If you want to keep them nice, they have to stay indoors. A garage qualifies as indoors. Those Rubbermade things are better than nothing but still not adequate to fully protect your bikes. It would be an oven in the summer and an icebox in winter.
Old 10-25-10, 05:11 PM
Life is a fun ride

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep. If you can put the shed on a small wood platform with air underneath it helps a lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.