Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

LOOK Carbon Fork

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-10, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOOK Carbon Fork

Here's the run down. I have a Giant Bowery '84. Pretty much all original aside from Handle Bars and pedels. I recently rode my buddies bike, also a Bowery but with a Carbon fork & Steer tube. Much nicer ride, needless to say.

So I popped into my LBS and found a LOOK Carbon Fork for $150, I maybe able to get them down a bit with a cash offer. I tried doing a little reseach but I couldn't find much info. The fork is a Take-Off from a bike that was upgraded when purchased. Is $150 a good deal? What should I look for when looking at it? or any others? Thanks
Old 04-26-10, 11:31 AM

Bikes: Civilian Le Roi Le Veut

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
let me know what shop it's at and i'll check it out for you...
Old 04-26-10, 12:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess that means yes...?
Old 04-26-10, 01:23 PM
Ride for Life

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
threaded or threadless?
aluminum or carbon steerer?
what bike was it taken off of?
Old 04-26-10, 01:34 PM
Antarctica awaits

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lowest LOOK carbon fork I could find on Google is $350, but I really have no idea.
Old 04-26-10, 02:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, that LOOK stuff is mega expensive...and probably up to 41 standards.

But, remember that it is a take off, and possibly lightly used. Inspect it for cracks and dings and the what not.

Man, I want to know why they swapped it out, and for what fork. Hmmmm.

I'd probably hop on the deal...if it fit and didn't affect the geometry much.
Old 04-26-10, 03:00 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A take-off means it has already been cut. Check the length.

The bowery has a relaxed road angle, so the rake should be the same. I believe most Looks are 73 degrees up front.
Old 04-26-10, 03:05 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One other thought--- how much of this difference in ride is in your head? I ride a Look road bike, and have three steel fixed gears--- all with lugged steel forks. I find a lugged steel fork quite nice, albeit heavy. There is no way I would say it is a "much nicer" ride. Carbon is just much lighter. In fact, I suggest that a carbon fork provides a worse ride than a steel one. I have never had massive fork flex on a steel bike, never had any form of a high speed shimmy, I could go on and on. On the other hand, $150 is a good price.
Old 04-26-10, 05:39 PM

Liked 12 Times in 1 Post
if the rake matches closely, go for it...look makes great stuff. if not, pass. a change of more than a couple mm in rake will alter the handling of your bike.
Old 04-26-10, 06:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I have been reading Sheldon Brown's site on Aftermarket Fork Length and changes on handling. I'm going to be going to the bike store tomorrow to take some measurements to make sure it won't change much if any.
Old 04-26-10, 06:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by filtersweep
One other thought--- how much of this difference in ride is in your head? I ride a Look road bike, and have three steel fixed gears--- all with lugged steel forks. I find a lugged steel fork quite nice, albeit heavy. There is no way I would say it is a "much nicer" ride. Carbon is just much lighter. In fact, I suggest that a carbon fork provides a worse ride than a steel one. I have never had massive fork flex on a steel bike, never had any form of a high speed shimmy, I could go on and on. On the other hand, $150 is a good price.
Your probably right about that. The weight savings would be nice tho. and I'm sure there is some TRUE difference in ride quality.
Old 04-26-10, 06:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Treadless, Carbon Steerer & I'm not sure.
Old 04-26-10, 08:52 PM

Liked 12 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZakPrell
...I'm sure there is some TRUE difference in ride quality.
difference? absolutely. but let's not forget that different != better, necessarily.

i completely agree with filter's comments. carbon can be many things...

i have a very well-reviewed reynolds ouzo pro on a road bike that has terrible brake dive and some high speed (50+) shimmy. too flexy for my taste, but light and very comfortable.

i have a very well-reviewed wound-up on my fixed that is not nearly as cush (though not objectionable), offers rock solid handling, much heavier than the ouzo.

i have a very well-reviewed time safe+ on my, uh, time roadie that is about perfect...stiff and predictable but still damps vibration to nearly nothing.

and finally, i have a (lugged chrome) columbus EL steel fork on a vintage bike that is heavy as hell but stunningly beautiful and rides every bit as sublimely as the time.
Old 04-26-10, 11:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dookie
difference? absolutely. but let's not forget that different != better, necessarily.

i completely agree with filter's comments. carbon can be many things...

i have a very well-reviewed reynolds ouzo pro on a road bike that has terrible brake dive and some high speed (50+) shimmy. too flexy for my taste, but light and very comfortable.

i have a very well-reviewed wound-up on my fixed that is not nearly as cush (though not objectionable), offers rock solid handling, much heavier than the ouzo.

i have a very well-reviewed time safe+ on my, uh, time roadie that is about perfect...stiff and predictable but still damps vibration to nearly nothing.

and finally, i have a (lugged chrome) columbus EL steel fork on a vintage bike that is heavy as hell but stunningly beautiful and rides every bit as sublimely as the time.
You've certainly had your hands on a lot of nice parts. Maybe I should have stated my riding style up front. I mostly beat around town, run to the store, friends houses. Rides to the beach and Critical Mass in Miami. No more then 30 miles on any given trip and I would guess any faster then maybe 25-ish. My Bowery weighs in around 18 - 19 lbs. I'm not a Weight Weenie by any means, but if I can save some weight and get a quality ride I'm all for it.

I guess I'll know when I go back tomorrow and measure her up and make sure the Geometry is not adversely effected.
Old 04-27-10, 07:15 AM
Ride for Life

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
all this talk about the expense of Look forks makes me feel better and better about my $30 Look carbon fork i got at a swap meet. thank you 1" for going out of style
Old 04-27-10, 04:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought > Installed > Rode!

I have to say I'm happy with the choice I made! The ride is great, very responsive and smooth. Less harsh on the hands/wrists!
Thanks for the feedback everyone.