Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Specialized Stumpjumper comp Vs. Kona Kula Deluxe Vs. Rocky Vertex 70

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 08-30-04, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys just wondering which bike you think is better for xc racing and training. Thanks.
Old 08-31-04, 11:09 PM

Bikes: '98 FSR expert, Gunnar Rockhound

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got to test ride a Kona Kula Deluxe because I was looking for a nice xc racer. I have never raced before but decided to turn a little more serious. I tried the Kula the Kula Deluxe a Bianchi Denali and finished up with a Gunnar Hardrock. The Kona's were small, responsive, incredibly light bikes but they kinda reminded me of my short , psychotic friend who always drank too much coffee, very high strung and a racer thoroughbred. It's definitely a bike for racing and not much else (my opinion). I fell for the Gunnar immediately because I felt this bike could be my good buddy that may not be so stiff that your bones rattle but the two of us could have a relation on and off the race track. Does that make sense? Ride the bikes and see which one is YOU.
Old 09-01-04, 08:10 AM

Bikes: 2002 Rocky HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with BlueAncientOne and will include the Rocky in his description. For lack of a better term, the 'Canadian Geometry' (short sloping top tube) can be twitchy, yet are great for tight singletrack. For open course xc racing you will be less stretched out, thus perhaps slower, however if your courses include tight technical singletrack you can make up for it. Ride them all and see which one you like best. If you're shallow (like me!) the Rocky has, by far, the nicest paint job!

Oh yeah, I love my short sloping top tube Rocky, it's very sweet to ride. Also, the Easton aluminum frame doesn't beat me up like some say aluminum does. Compared to my aluminum Norco beater, my Rocky rides like a cloud.
Old 09-01-04, 09:33 AM
The Rabbi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have an '04 Stumpjumper Comp and truthfully I would have to say its the best handling hardtail I've ever ridden. The Fox F80x up front alone makes it leaps above most other bikes. The ride is more forgiving than I expected of a 3lbs aluminum frame as well. The '05 comes disc break ready with a 3x front wheel, which takes care of my only two complaints of the bike. The radially laced front SUCKS but thats not an issue anymore. I'm still always amazed how the bike climbs. Any of the bikes you mentioned though would be good choices. The Kona's geometry is a bit more relaxed as I recall. Its all what you are looking for.