Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is it a Track Bike with multiple gears or something else?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-29-10, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, first post. I've been bicycling for years, but I'm new to all the technical details and such. Please be gentle.

I'm not quite sure how to ask this, because I don't know the right terminology.

I want one of those bikes that look like fixies, but I want one that has a freewheel and gears. I think what I'm looking for is called a track bike, but when I search for "track bike" I only get fixed geared track bikes. I know the bike I'm describing exists because I saw some guy with one once.

Maybe if I describe what I want in a bike one of you might be able to help me.

Here's what I want from this bike:
-I want it to be super lightweight, but not super expensive
-I want it to have 700c wheels because I want it to have very little resistance/friction from contact with the road
-I want to ride to and from work 13 miles round trip over residential and city streets with some hills along the way only on days with fair weather
-I want it to be able to carry items because I want to run errands to the grocery store, bank, etc.
-I want to ride for recreation

Thanks for any help
Old 04-29-10, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I'm getting the picture of a fixed gear bicycle made into a three or eight speed with an internal hub. I think there is a manufacturer who makes a drop bar eight speed hub bike, but I'm not so sure about a three speed.
Old 04-29-10, 11:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Steve

The bike I saw that guy riding had regular gears, not an internal hub. That's the only way I could tell he had gears. I don't think would have been able to tell if he had multiple gears if he had an internal gear hub. He was moving at the time I saw his bike.
Old 04-29-10, 11:35 PM
``````````````

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You're describing a road bike. What parts of road bikes do you dislike?
Old 04-29-10, 11:50 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by Wayne B
Here's what I want from this bike:
-I want it to be super lightweight, but not super expensive
-I want it to have 700c wheels because I want it to have very little resistance/friction from contact with the road
-I want to ride to and from work 13 miles round trip over residential and city streets with some hills along the way only on days with fair weather
-I want it to be able to carry items because I want to run errands to the grocery store, bank, etc.
-I want to ride for recreation

Thanks for any help
A track bike has a single gear, usually "fixed", i.e. coasting is not possible. A bike with multiple gears, by definition, is not a a track bike, because track bikes are not allowed to have multiple gears.

What you are describing might be called a "road" bike, but my Gold Rush recumbent also fits your requirements:
https://home.comcast.net/~jeff_wills/jeff-grr/index.htm . There are many different bikes that would suit your needs.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 04-29-10, 11:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Murray Eliminator 10 Speed road bike. I think it's from the 1970's.

Mainly I want a lighter bike with skinnier tires. My bike has 26 X 1 3/8 tires.

Also I find that I don't need all 10 gears. I usually only use 2 or 3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Mynewride..jpg (50.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 04-29-10, 11:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess what I want is a road bike with multiple gears that uses a track bike frame and 700c wheels. Is something like that possible?
Old 04-30-10, 12:12 AM
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Sure. Basically all road bikes use 700c wheels. And you can get a road bike frame that has track frame geometry but a rear derailleur hanger, or you can use an actual track frame and use an adapter piece to hold the rear derailleur. But why are you convinced you want/need a "track" frame instead of "road" frame in the first place?

Maybe you can spend some time on https://velospace.org/node looking at pictures of bikes and that will help you zero in on what you are looking for.

BTW, if you want to carry stuff on the bike, are you going to just use a backpack/messenger-bag or do you want to actually attach stuff to the bike? If so, you're getting even further away from track bike.
Old 04-30-10, 12:17 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pacificaslim
Sure. Basically all road bikes use 700c wheels. And you can get a road bike frame that has track frame geometry but a rear derailleur hanger, or you can use an actual track frame and use an adapter piece to hold the rear derailleur. But why are you convinced you want/need a "track" frame instead of "road" frame in the first place?
My road bike doesn't use 700c wheels. It uses 26 X 1 3/8 wheels.
I'm only interested in track/fixie frames because I was under the impression that they are lighter than road bike frames.
Old 04-30-10, 05:42 AM

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I'm only interested in track/fixie frames because I was under the impression that they are lighter than road bike frames.
If a track frame is lighter, it's usually because it is custom-built for a lighter-weight rider, and also isn't built to take the pounding of poor roads it would get in real-world use.

The more "traditional" looking frames use small-diameter steel tubes, if that helps your search.

If you really want an old-looking bike but don't want the hassle of buying vintage, there is the Eastman India roadsters from Yellowjersey: https://www.yellowjersey.org/EASTMAN.HTML ....but..... be warned that these bikes aren't light and use odd (vintage) parts sizes. You also may have practical problems if you wish to do things like update from the rod brakes, the stem/handlebars or the wheels (rims). I would think that you could switch to different rims and spread the back end of the frame for an 8-speed hub; you *might* be able to switch to using roller-brake hubs but you'd want to inquire about that before buying.... But hey, if you want vintage-looking-but-new, it is out there and the delivery guy can drop a piece of it on your doorstep.
~
Old 04-30-10, 07:32 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I have a Murray Eliminator 10 Speed road bike. I think it's from the 1970's.

Mainly I want a lighter bike with skinnier tires. My bike has 26 X 1 3/8 tires.

Also I find that I don't need all 10 gears. I usually only use 2 or 3.
Have you looked at bikes in a decent bike shop recently? Compared to your '70's "ten speed racing bike", you would find no lack of lighter bikes in multiple styles. Forget track bikes but don't limit yourself to road bikes.
Old 04-30-10, 11:12 AM

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hate to post this, bikesdirect.com, has a 5-speed internal hub road bike.
Old 04-30-10, 11:17 AM
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Couple things here... The weight of the frame is pretty small compared to the weight of the overall bike. i.e., once you're finished adding on gears, brakes, saddle, handlebars, etc, the weight is going from three or four pounds up to around 20. In turn, the weight of the whole bike is pretty minimal compared to the weight of what it's carrying -- i.e., you. So don't get too concerned about a pound here and a pound there. Unless you're racing, you'll never notice the difference.

As for track / fixie frames. A "real" track / fixie frame is very different then a road-bike frame in three areas:
1) All "real" track frames, and most fixie frames have 120mm of space that the rear wheel needs to slide into. All modern road bike rear wheels (i.e., wheels with gears) are 130mm wide. i.e., geared rear wheels simply don't fit into track bike frames.

2) Real track and most fixie frames don't have any attachment points for rear derailleurs. i.e., even if you could get a geared rear wheel to fit, there's no way to attach a shifting mechanism to the frame.

3) Real track and most fixie frames are fairly "twitchy". i.e., they're designed to be extremely agile, something's that useful if you're navigating crowded city streets (i.e., a car cuts you off, you can easily go around it). Or if you're racing on a track, agility makes it easy to get around your opponent, etc. That agility isn't necessarily a good thing if you're just out riding though.
Old 04-30-10, 11:49 AM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You dont want an expensive bike so I think this would suit you. https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...iragesport.htm You could carry cash from the bank, but not groceries. This one would allow you to attach a rack at the back for your groceries https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/lt1200.htm Prices are good but you should first talk to a bike shop about assembling and adjusting it for you, which might cost $50- $70.
Old 05-01-10, 06:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm considering an internal gear hub with coaster brake for this bike now after suggestions from others on this thread. Thanks
Old 05-01-10, 06:26 PM

Bikes: 2010 Felt F5, 2010 Dawes SST-AL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug5150

If you really want an old-looking bike but don't want the hassle of buying vintage, there is the Eastman India roadsters from Yellowjersey: https://www.yellowjersey.org/EASTMAN.HTML ....but..... be warned that these bikes aren't light and use odd (vintage) parts sizes. You also may have practical problems if you wish to do things like update from the rod brakes, the stem/handlebars or the wheels (rims). I would think that you could switch to different rims and spread the back end of the frame for an 8-speed hub; you *might* be able to switch to using roller-brake hubs but you'd want to inquire about that before buying.... But hey, if you want vintage-looking-but-new, it is out there and the delivery guy can drop a piece of it on your doorstep.
~
or this, which is super cool IMO...
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...8&menuItemId=0
Old 05-01-10, 07:00 PM

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Your current "road bike" is a POS to be frank, a toy store bike. A tank would be lighter than that junker.

Whoever told you that a track bike frame was lighter than an equal quality road frame is wrong.

You suffer from a lack of knowledge, before spending money on a new bike please learn something about them.
Old 05-01-10, 07:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
Your current "road bike" is a POS to be frank, a toy store bike. A tank would be lighter than that junker.

Whoever told you that a track bike frame was lighter than an equal quality road frame is wrong.

You suffer from a lack of knowledge, before spending money on a new bike please learn something about them.

This is why I am here asking questions... to learn something about them. And to be frank it's POS bike snobs like you at bike shops and forums like these that keep so many people from returning. Simply asking questions about bicycling seems to set you bike snobs off.
Old 05-01-10, 07:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is why I am here asking questions... to learn something about them. And to be frank it's POS bike snobs like you at bike shops and forums like these that keep so many people from returning. Simply asking questions about bicycling seems to set you bike snobs off.
if you get crap like that from the people at the bike shop, find a new bike shop. I had the same experience when I was getting into cycling, this place was downright rude to me for wanting a budget minded bike to get started on. I left, went to another shop, and was treated extremely well.
Old 05-01-10, 07:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain

why did you think he is here? No need to be an a-hole about it...
Old 05-01-10, 07:30 PM

Bikes: Too Many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute on this:

It's an '86 model steel frame. Road race geometry with slightly longer chainstays which allows heel clearance room for the rack and panniers. Don't worry about weight so much for commuting. By the time you add a rack and all the stuff you drag to work, it doesn't really matter. Vintage may have more of the look you're going for and can be had for a good price.