Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Some feedback on my ride please!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-10, 01:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok I am, 6'6" 230 lbs and 25 years old. I just recently started cycling about 3 months ago when I purchased my Allez Sport w/105 components. I started cycling because I had my ACL replaced about 10 months ago and needed a way to lose my post surgery pounds.

I recently just got my garmin edge 305 and would just like some feedback on my route. This is the route I take probably 3 - 4 times a week. Am I where I should be for 3 months in? I was a runner before the surgery but the pounding on the knee hurts a bit still. I know I need to stop coasting so often but I am still able to keep my average cadence to 85 or so...

Heres the route...

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/31758627
Old 04-30-10, 02:10 PM

Bikes: Trek Navigator 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well......as with any injury / surgery, I'dsay it is tough to say if you are where you need to be. Every injury and recovery is different. It's tough to place normal achievement pace on that. You should really only do what the injured joint will allow you. I'd be afraid to put someone else's norm on yourself as it may provoke you to try to keep pace and re-injure yourself. I'd say to do what your knee tells you. If you feel like you are getting a good pump and you are losing, then you are where you need to be. Where you really need to be is on the road, and it looks like you are already there. Keep it up, man. It will only get better.
Old 04-30-10, 03:05 PM

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9 5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like HuskyRider said, it's hard to tell. If you feel like it would help you gauge your progress, you may want to look at a heart rate monitor to give you some idea of fitness improvements (assuming your knees aren't complaining).
Old 04-30-10, 04:02 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I'd say your numbers were impressive. all I looked at was your distance; saddle time; max and avrg speed
Old 04-30-10, 04:07 PM
I suck, but you're worse

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Uno-Got rid of the rest when I moved to LA:(

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also would say your numbers are impressive. If you are doing this to lose some weight and get in shape then you are right on track, keep it up.
Old 04-30-10, 04:13 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT set up for commuting

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am familiar with the area (somewhat) and am wondering why you're traveling along the main roads. See if you can find a route using more back roads. It should be more relaxing since you won't be dodging tractor trailers on 99W & there may be more hills. Rollers are always good training tools.
Old 04-30-10, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
17mph Avg ! - you beat me by 5mph
Old 04-30-10, 04:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greg- I live up 99w towards the hospital. I have a couple routes around yamhill but a lot of them start or end with some 99w time. It feels 100x easier to do a ride without doublig back. Something mental with me I am sure. So for this particular route I head to Lafayette on 99 then get back onto the country roads from there. I'm always looking for more if you know of any.

I would like to join the Portland Velo club but I am a little intimidated. I don't want to look like a chump. I started cycling to lose some weight and get outside post surgery but the bug got me and I am in 100%. I completely love it. I just wish I could ride longer, more often. I am getting ready to do the 55 mile leg of Reach the Beach in 2 weeks. :-)
Old 04-30-10, 04:58 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT set up for commuting

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Many organized rides up here come in different flavors based on average traveling speed. You are in much better shape than me (based on your times) and I had no problem sticking with the 'slow' group. 17mph is usually good for the medium group (20+ mph for the fast guys). According to the Portland Velo website:

10-12 MPH - Easy/Beginner. Frequent stops.
12-14 MPH - Social Pace. A few stops.
14-16 MPH - Moderate Pace.
16-18 MPH - Brisk Pace.
18-20 MPH - Fast Pace.
20+ MPH - Strenuous Pace.

You are already in the 'brisk' pace so look for rides in that category.