Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Effect of multiple headset instillations?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-10, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Howdy Folks,

I just got a used Basso. I am trying to mostly use parts scavenged from my old road bike that was hit by a jeep. I have a threaded headset, most likely Tange, that is questionable. There is some damage to the races, but not terrible. Sheldon (RIP) brown suggests replacing the retainers with loose balls as a way of extending the life of a slightly damaged headset (more balls will fit in and sit closer together, therefore changing where/how they sit on the race). I like this idea and think it will work, however I wonder the effect repeated headset installations will have on the head tube should I ultimately need to replace the old (slightly damaged) headset?

Asked more clearly: what are the effects of repeatedly removing and installing headsets on the same bike? Will it damage the head tube?

Thank you,

Mikey
Old 05-04-10, 07:37 PM
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
In a theoretical sense it would produce face wear and eventually produce play, but this is a minimal factor. If you have a steel frame and aluminum headset the effect is less and more if it is a steel cup aluminum frame. If the wear is on the cup, the cup is replaceable and mostly expendable. If the frame ended up being worn beyond tight fit, shim stock(super thin brass) could be pressed in with the cup to compensate for the wear.

Bottom line, don't go nuts but it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 05-05-10, 01:42 AM

Bikes: '82 Giante super challange, 70 Gitane Tour de France, GT Gutterball

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtbikerinpa
In a theoretical sense it would produce face wear and eventually produce play, but this is a minimal factor. If you have a steel frame and aluminum headset the effect is less and more if it is a steel cup aluminum frame. If the wear is on the cup, the cup is replaceable and mostly expendable. If the frame ended up being worn beyond tight fit, shim stock(super thin brass) could be pressed in with the cup to compensate for the wear.

Bottom line, don't go nuts but it shouldn't be an issue.
You can also take a punch and hammer to the frame/cups if it becomes an issue, theres a stein tool that does this for crown races, prehaps they have one for frames/ cups
Old 05-05-10, 05:27 AM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
Assuming correct sized headsets are installed correctly, there is zero impact from multiple installations. The level of interference is well within the elastic range of the frame, so each headset stretches the headtube slightly which then shrinks back to it's original dimension when the cup is removed, ready for the next time.

Metal frames can go through this cycle many thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of times with no ill effects, or permanent change. The only way the headtube would be damaged causing loose fits if an oversized cup were pressed in, expanding the headube beyond it's elastic limit, or if it were reamed removing more metal.

By analogy, consider a spring. You can flex it millions of times and it'll always spring back to it's original size, but if you stretch it to far, it'll rebound to a new size and act like a spring starting from there.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-06-10, 03:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great answers, thanks for the help!